Covid 19 impact | Vital Football

Covid 19 impact

Made in Wigan

Vital Champions League
Just posted this on the Brexit thread but probably more relevant on main board.

Heard on the wireless today that it took about ten days for Italy to put postpone/cancel sporting fixtures en masse and that ten days ago the Covid 19 cases were at roughly the same level as the UK ones yesterday.

Given this it’s possible we’re looking at similar in the UK after next weeks fixtures.

I think our containment efforts have been slightly better so it could delay it - so I predict it’ll be done post international break. I guess the question is behind closed doors or postponement all together? Would this affect league integrity? Will the league effectively be null and voided? Will they just define final league positions at date of suspension?

I think it depends on how the virus develops and how the containment efforts pan out and stuff like that.

The government will be reluctant to put a stop to fans attending games, the fans wont want to be forced to miss the games, the FA wont want the headache that comes with potentially reorganised schedules prior to a summer tournement and clubs wont want to lose revenue from match days - so all the pressure will be for the games to go ahead as normal for as long as possible.

Last edited:
If we end up having to play the rest of our games behind closed doors, then I’ll finally bite the bullet and admit that with such a big advantage, I think we’ll stay up!

For goodness sake! ....you’d think it had the ‘hit rate’ of the Bubonic Plague the way they go on about it !

The flu that kills tens of thousands every year doesn’t get all this fuss.. ?

of course it’s utterly dreadful for those that die from it but many many more amongst the elderly and infirm succumb to far more prevalent yet far less publicised causes every year.

Why, you might almost think the authorities would prefer us to be in a permanent state of panic !?

At least if we played behind closed doors at least we wouldn't have to watch that shite dished out by Cook today.

The club brought on hand sanitisers today 👏👏👏
The hand sanitisers did better than Jacobs when introduced 🤣

For goodness sake! ....you’d think it had the ‘hit rate’ of the Bubonic Plague the way they go on about it !

The flu that kills tens of thousands every year doesn’t get all this fuss.. ?

of course it’s utterly dreadful for those that die from it but many many more amongst the elderly and infirm succumb to far more prevalent yet far less publicised causes every year.

Why, you might almost think the authorities would prefer us to be in a permanent state of panic !?
Thank god it's not a zombie apocalypse- or is it ?

Getting serious now with leagues enforcing matches behind closed doors and the Notts Forest owner having contracted the virus in attendance at their game on Friday. If a Notts Forest player has contracted the virus then surely the EFL have no choice but to suspend fixtures with immediate effect.

Apparantly the clubs and EFL aren’t insured for loss of revenue so this is going to hit Latics hard with our next two home matches being Blackburn and Stoke. I’m pretty sure Stoke haven’t sold far off 4k tickets already and Blackburn you’d imagine would have brought 2k with them doing well.