Coventry Leaving The Ricoh (Again) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Coventry Leaving The Ricoh (Again)

I used to have to drive through the Black Country to work at the end of the 90's. It took me several months to figure out what the scary group of pensioners hanging around outside two Post Offices that I passed on my way was all about. They were queuing on the pavement in anticipation of the 9am opening and the release of their money. It opened a whole new world to me that I had never come across before.

Perhaps the move to direct payments was an attempt to cut down on the anti-social behaviour that ensued - all that early morning queuing taking up space on the pavement and forcing people to walk in the gutter; aggressive shopping for spam, pilchards, hair nets and Steradent; not to mention the constant pressing of the Pedestrian Crossing button without actually crossing the road. The harder core were regularly involved in vigilante moaning, stick waving and the poisoning of neighbours cats for daring to poop in their begonia beds.

(I'm not sure how I managed to get through this without resorting to a single stereotype or grotesque exaggeration, but with great restraint I think I have managed it)

I used to have to drive through the Black Country to work at the end of the 90's. It took me several months to figure out what the scary group of pensioners hanging around outside two Post Offices that I passed on my way was all about. They were queuing on the pavement in anticipation of the 9am opening and the release of their money. It opened a whole new world to me that I had never come across before.

Perhaps the move to direct payments was an attempt to cut down on the anti-social behaviour that ensued - all that early morning queuing taking up space on the pavement and forcing people to walk in the gutter; aggressive shopping for spam, pilchards, hair nets and Steradent; not to mention the constant pressing of the Pedestrian Crossing button without actually crossing the road. The harder core were regularly involved in vigilante moaning, stick waving and the poisoning of neighbours cats for daring to poop in their begonia beds.

(I'm not sure how I managed to get through this without resorting to a single stereotype or grotesque exaggeration, but with great restraint I think I have managed it)

You've described the Black Country in 2019 there. There's also the midnight queue at the cash points now so that society's finest can get their next supply.
Welcome to my world

You've described the Black Country in 2019 there. There's also the midnight queue at the cash points now so that society's finest can get their next supply.
Welcome to my world

I seem to remember one such Post Office was on the Sedgley to Tipton Road.

Welcome to my world

What is the connection regarding your misguided and judgmental views on social deprivation and the Ricoh Stadium ?

Statement made on Sunday by Coventry: upshot is that that the EFL vote on Wednesday has been cancelled after a groundshare was agreed (with Birmingham) as a safety net and presumably accepted by the EFL. However, CCFC are still hopeful of an agreement with Wasps:

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/news-club-statement-regarding-efl-vote-and-stadium-situation/

Now, perhaps the EFL will switch its attention to Lancashire and the two clubs that are really deserving of their 'supervision'.

Talking to a Coventry fan today, fans will not go to watch Coventry in Birmingham. This fan has had a season ticket for 30yrs apart from the years in exile.

There has never been a better time to be promoted to League One: Bolton starting with a points deduction (-21 is now being touted as likely), Bury probably doing likewise even if they survive (-12), Ipswich relegated with five wins, Coventry playing every game away, Tranmere being well short of League One standard, Wycombe with a huge budget reduction, Oxford in ongoing disputes with their landlord, Bristol Rovers with an amazing £3.3m loss, Blackpool still in administration and searching desperately for a buyer, and the divisive Steve Evans at Gillingham to name just a few potential problems.

Went to St Andrews for our cup game there (2003?).

Didn't Jamie Clapham play for them in that game? Savage, Upson, Heskey and Yorke did, I think.

i wonder how it would effect our attendances, (and our budget) and the knock on effect on our home performances, if we were to be ground sharing at a local club. notts? grimsby?

My local(ish) knowledge tells me St Andrews is a lot further than 6 miles from Coventry city centre

"Fisher told Talksport last week that "the Ricoh is, practically speaking, the only option we've got" as they have been told by the EFL that they must play within six miles of Coventry city centre, thereby scuppering any thoughts of a return to Northampton, their temporary home in the 2013-14 season.

"We've had it in writing umpteen times that we have to play in Coventry. We've got to play within six miles of the city centre, simple as," he said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47441459

Went to St Andrews for our cup game there (2003?).

Didn't Jamie Clapham play for them in that game? Savage, Upson, Heskey and Yorke did, I think.
I remember it well, we sold about 1,000 tickets , it was then announced you could pay on the gate. About 3,000 imps turned up. They kept having to move the segregation across. I think we got in 15 mins after kick off