Coventry City (a): What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Coventry City (a): What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1. We can never write off Matt Rhead

No goals in 16 games, and only 5 assists all season was not a great record in terms of headline numbers. Before the game in our 'Three Things' article, we suggested playing Rhead and Palmer together alongside Green, as it had almost become an either/or scenario. We may just have found our winning formula at exactly the right time of the season, as the big man popped up with the goal of the season and two assists.

2. Ollie Palmer is a better player than we realise

Or, at least he is very effective. Palmer now has 11 goals for the season, which is a very decent return compared with the number of minutes he has been on the pitch. The vast majority of his goals have been of critical importance - see other thread for details. The cult hero epitomises the fighting spirit in the squad.

3. Ryan Allsop has been a terrific emergency signing

Signed on deadline day, Allsop came to the club just in time to make his debut against the Chelsea Toddlers. He saved a vital penalty in the shoot-out from Jacob Maddox and has maintained the standard since then. How many goals can you say were his fault? The Wembley save from Omar Beckles was the best from a City keeper for many a year, and he repeated the feat last night. Wherever his future lies, he can return to Bournemouth knowing that he has played a full part in the Checkatrade win and our push for promotion.

1. Given the formations and tactics that DC has used last season and this - developing the 433 as an addition to the 442 - last night was a new addition to the repertoire, whether accidental or not. Playing 3 out and out strikers, no real wingers, Wharton as LB and Freck with abit more freedom to control the midfield. Had mixed feelings before the KO, but boy did DC pull the rabbit out of the hat, and showed his ability to think outside the box when needed.
2. Freck is at last beginning to show his quality and his ability to control the midfield. Can't wait to see what he can do with a full pre-season with the Cowleys.
3. Ollie Palmer justified his start. He was superb from the word go. Two goals and his general hold-up and link-up play were first class. I'll say it again - i had my serious doubts about Ollie after we signed him, but boy has he proved me wrong and I still think ther are pleny of special moments to come from him. Love watching his close control and his passion for the game and the team.