Cov fan view | Page 3 | Vital Football

Cov fan view

Who knew that Coventry City were the paragon of footballing virtue.

Laughable comments in the thread. Some sense too, but seems strange that they don't see the Cowley's as adaptive. I don't doubt with better pitches, more money, higher leagues we'd see prettier football, but it's a gamble in this league. When you have certain players like Rhead at your disposal, why break a winning formula. We tried it tidier with the likes of Billy Knott but it just didn't suit our level.

The problem for any Coventry fan over the age of 35 is that they still believe they are following the club they first fell in love with. In their minds they should still be at the top of English football mixing it with the Arsenal and the United's of this world. When "lesser" teams like Lincoln turn up and beat them with their "darker" brand of football they only have one response; a mixture of denial and a superiority complex. Unfortunately for them neither response will see them get out of this league. Even after Tuesdays spanking they don't seem to have learned with derogatory conments about their next opponents Cheltenham abound all over their forum. Apparently it's full of tea houses and old Haggs and their third string should be beating them. Well with that attitude I forsee a long spell for Coventry in the basement of English football...

The problem for any Coventry fan over the age of 35 is that they still believe they are following the club they first fell in love with. In their minds they should still be at the top of English football mixing it with the Arsenal and the United's of this world. When "lesser" teams like Lincoln turn up and beat them with their "darker" brand of football they only have one response; a mixture of denial and a superiority complex. Unfortunately for them neither response will see them get out of this league. Even after Tuesdays spanking they don't seem to have learned with derogatory conments about their next opponents Cheltenham abound all over their forum. Apparently it's full of tea houses and old Haggs and their third string should be beating them. Well with that attitude I forsee a long spell for Coventry in the basement of English football...

Any references to Cheltenham being a 'pub team'?

It seems to be a characteristic of certain kinds of supporters that they categorise any team playing at a lower level than themselves - or what they consider a lesser club than themselves - to be a pub team. And any division below their own is a 'pub league'.

It's very reminiscent of our attitude when we went down to the NL.

Fair point. Although I'd like to think we were a little more critical of our own shortcomings rather than simply complaining about visiting teams tactics.
Like DC often likes to say we now have a "no excuses mentality". Something Coventry would do well to mimic...

For a minority, perhaps. I think most of us realised it was going to be a long old haul. I remember citing Oxford as having taken 6 years to get back to the FL. Even Bob said 3-4 years.

They aren't the only set of fans like this florist and Leeds spring to mind.
Sense of entitlement is the saying I believe.