Cov fan view | Vital Football

Cov fan view

GertLushImp

Vital Squad Member
Thought this was a good breakdown of the Cowleys approach to Tuesdays game, from a Coventry fan on their forum:
"
Not many are fans on here or appreciate what they are doing in the game but I’m even more in appreciation of them after seeing Danny Cowley’s interviews and how they prepared Lincoln for last night.

Firstly the pre match interview, played his side down as the underdogs and spoke in great detail about our players. A little bit of mind games by talking about how small his squad was and how big a club we are while we have a extra days preparation.

Pre match in the warm up I noticed both Cowley’s taking the warm ups, with Danny leading aspects of it while also taking the strange action of keeping the players out long after we’d gone in. Firstly I thought maybe they’d arrived late at the Ricoh but since checked and this wasn’t the case.
Looks like it was a strategic plan to keep the players focused and ready to go from kick off...certainly paid dividends as they hit us from the off. Never have I seen the manager getting his hands dirty before a game.

He had us well scouted and devised a plan on how to break us down and stop us getting a foothold in the game. Hitting us hard from the off with a front foot attacking threat going out for the points. His side were well up for the occasion, strong and robust winning individual battles and having the desire to win knock on’s and clinical in front of goal. Individual game management was pretty spot on too with each player playing well sticking to there tasks. He’s pieced together a side with the old crazy gang style grit and determination.

These boys will go far in the game, no stone seems unturned. "

Attachments

• 1524651122069.png
    1524651122069.png
    256 bytes · Views: 14
That has upset the majority of their fans. Apparently the overwhelming consensus is that they would stop going if they played hoof ball and cheated like us. They would rather play entertaining losing football than win like we do. Now that is an interesting theory but unless Imps fans are from Venus and Sky Blues fans are from Mars it doesn't appear to stack up. Imps gates at a 40 year high playing productive winning football, Sky Blues at a big low point playing tippy tappy stuff and yet there is only one league place between us. I suspect liars liars pants on fire may be an appropriate phrase at this juncture. Me? well I'm looking forward to our next instalment of productive football at Accrington on Saturday. One final observation I will make about tippy tappy is that it can be great to watch but can also be utterly dull. I regularly take my lad to Man. City and three of the most boring non contests I've watched this season were against Bournemouth (I fell asleep twice), Chelsea and Swansea. It wasn't a football match or contest in any sense of the word. It was a passionless training exercise for Man City while the opposition stood and watched them pass the ball around them. Did the Man. City fans care? Of course not they won the games without breaking sweat and they lapped it up. Winning football if you support a team trumps everything else. Style only matters for the neutrals.

That has upset the majority of their fans. Apparently the overwhelming consensus is that they would stop going if they played hoof ball and cheated like us. They would rather play entertaining losing football than win like we do. Now that is an interesting theory but unless Imps fans are from Venus and Sky Blues fans are from Mars it doesn't appear to stack up. Imps gates at a 40 year high playing productive winning football, Sky Blues at a big low point playing tippy tappy stuff and yet there is only one league place between us. I suspect liars liars pants on fire may be an appropriate phrase at this juncture. Me? well I'm looking forward to our next instalment of productive football at Accrington on Saturday. One final observation I will make about tippy tappy is that it can be great to watch but can also be utterly dull. I regularly take my lad to Man. City and three of the most boring non contests I've watched this season were against Bournemouth (I fell asleep twice), Chelsea and Swansea. It wasn't a football match or contest in any sense of the word. It was a passionless training exercise for Man City while the opposition stood and watched them pass the ball around them. Did the Man. City fans care? Of course not they won the games without breaking sweat and they lapped it up. Winning football if you support a team trumps everything else. Style only matters for the neutrals.

Professional sport in a nutshell: "Winning isn't important, it's the only thing"

The comments from patsythegreat are hilarious. I can't remember ever having read such biased bitter drivel.

There's obviously a limit somewhere though as when we had Beck there were a lot of people voicing those same opinions despite been in a similar position in the league.

I suspect if we'd spent 6 years previously languishing in the conference Beck would have been welcomed as a messiah as well...

This 'rotating the foul' thing is unbelievable. How can a team dictate where on the pitch to commit a yellow card foul, and who is going to do it?

"Their left back has got the ball. Neal, it's your turn - run 80 yards diagonally across the pitch and foul him!"

Besides which, , Palmer was booked for dissent, Whitehouse committed a pointless foul in an innocuous area of the pitch, Allsop was booked for time wasting etc. No rotation of any kind there.

Some people really are losing the plot in a vain attempt to explain why their great team lost.

Yes, patsythegreat isn't so great at literacy either. Likes to use that well-known verb, 'to of'.

This 'rotating the foul' thing is unbelievable. How can a team dictate where on the pitch to commit a yellow card foul, and who is going to do it?

"Their left back has got the ball. Neal, it's your turn - run 80 yards diagonally across the pitch and foul him!"

Besides which, , Palmer was booked for dissent, Whitehouse committed a pointless foul in an innocuous area of the pitch, Allsop was booked for time wasting etc. No rotation of any kind there.

Some people really are losing the plot in a vain attempt to explain why their great team lost.

Rotating fouls is actually very common in football. Pretty much invented by Revie's Leeds. It's not about who you foul it's about committing a foul to the guy near you and breaking up the play, allowing you to reset and reposition. 3 or 4 of those in quick succession is usually enough to break up the momentum of an attacking side.

One of your players stands over the ball and forces the ref to wave him away, another gets in the refs face about where the free kick is being taken from and before you know it you've got through another minute of time without a ball being kicked.

There's obviously a limit somewhere though as when we had Beck there were a lot of people voicing those same opinions despite been in a similar position in the league.

It wasn't just Beck's football, he wasn't the most enaging character, unlike the Cowley's who are the polar opposite. I was happy with the results during that period after all it was an Imps side that was winning. Furthermore listening to the former players from that era, they appear to look back fondly at it.

Last edited:

As Sincilbanks says, it's common place in football.

Man City being a prime example, which often goes completely un-noticed. They're not averse to 'dark arts'.

Wycombe are the absolute masters at it, though - I even commented on it during the game at SB.

It also has the effect of making yellows less likely, as the ref has to keep track of numerous fouls in different areas of the pitch and at different times by the same player. You can then get away with more fouls before you get the "Persistent fouling" yellow.

It all gets a bit boring doesn't it. If you can get a League 2 team playing like Barcelona then fair play, you're some sort of genius and I'll applaud you with everyone else. I've never actually seen a team like that though in a lot of years watching lower league football.

Very few teams will succeed at L2 level playing tippy-tappy because in general the players are not good enough to play that way. Chris Sutton said it, and I had a certain amount of sympathy with him for that. The majority of managers accept there is a need to mix it up, and history shows that direct football is the way to get out of the basement division. Therefore it surprises me when other managers and supporters denigrate a style of play that has been successful.

Yes, patsythegreat isn't so great at literacy either. Likes to use that well-known verb, 'to of'.

Yes, I saw that and thought the same. He/she doesn't know the different ways to spell 'there' too, just using the one version for all meanings!