COULD YOU SAVE A LIFE??? | Vital Football

COULD YOU SAVE A LIFE???

Welshtel

Vital Football Hero
EVER DONE FIRST AID?
Ever watched someone doing it?
The bottom line..... WOULD YOU GET STUCK IN IF YOU SAW SOMEONE COLLAPSED?

I once took a first aid course and the instructor made a statement that was the most mind grabbing statement I have ever heard to start a Training Course. He made everyone sit up and listen with full attention. He said, “DID YOU KNOW THAT 60% OF FATALITIES COULD BE PREVENTED IF WE HAD SOMEONE ON SITE TO DO ONE SIMPLE THING? You don’t need expert training to do this, anyone can do it.”
He had me, I was riveted to what he had to say. He had someone lying on his back on the floor pretending to be unconscious and knelt down and just turned them onto their front.
He explained: “If they are unconscious and left like that, the chances are they will die of Asphyxiation.” (Their tongue will slip back and block their airway).
“Now”, he said, “that’s very simplistic”. We are now going to refine that single action and work on the other 40% so that hopefully, no one will die.

As a trainer/lecturer at the time, I was just made up, I wanted every training course or lecture to start off so dynamically with a punchy line like that but NOTHING IS AS IMPORTANT AS FIRST AID TRAINING.

A FRIEND OF OURS COLLAPSED ON THE FLOOR OF THE KITCHEN, HER HEART HAD STOPPED. FORTUNATELY, HER DAUGHTER WAS RIGHT THERE AND WAS TRAINED. SHE SET TO AND DID THE THINGS SHE WAS TAUGHT AND SAVED HER MOTHERS LIFE.
OUR FRIEND IS NOW ALIVE AND FIT. We are so glad for that.

So, EVER DONE A FIRST AID COURSE? Maybe it’s time.
St Johns Ambulance and the Red Cross are the 2 recognised bodies to contact to get on a course. They usually are very simple to follow and easy to do. You don’t need prior medical understanding or qualifications. It’s simple BUT SO IMPORTANT!

I went on to do many years of successive first aid courses with the refining of my training continuing and my skills getting technically better and better and able to handle more situations, my employer offered us free training. I also lost my queasiness, good knowledge removes irrational fears.
Maybe your employer offers it. If not get in touch with an organisation such as the Red Cross or St Johns Ambulance. If not, go on line and look up how to do first aid with them. There are many training videos available.

It’s important to overcome that idea that you can’t do anything and put aside your fears. Doing anything is better than doing nothing. The more you do, the less it bothers you to get involved.

Just think, it could be your kids, your wife, your husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, Mother or Father, or best friend. Wouldn’t it be nice to say, “I’m SO glad I was there to do something!”

Yep training is easy and as long as you keep it simple and not try to over think things...you can do it.

Difficult one , if they were a gooner or a leftie or both, which is so likely, I'd walk away.

Seriously.

In theory every one should do First aid training. Problem is the gaps between training are too big. People forget the principles.

I have done plenty of First aid courses, probably around 20. Once the music hits all that training goes right out of the window. Unless you do it on a regular basis it's pretty pointless.

Most first aid trainers I have trained with say as long as they are breathing and not bleeding to death just leave them and phone for an ambulance. They are the ones that do it day in day out.

One training session every 2-3 years means jack IMO.

Difficult one , if they were a gooner or a leftie or both, which is so likely, I'd walk away.

Seriously.

:LOL:

I know what you mean.

I don't like people so could quite easily do that. If it was a dog in trouble I would be right in there helping the little guy out.

:LOL:

I know what you mean.

I don't like people so could quite easily do that. If it was a dog in trouble I would be right in there helping the little guy out.

Aren't you in the people business?

Seriously.
Haha! Big Chiv makes a big point in his humorous way (I know he says”seriously”). But unless we see the heart position in this, we will never think seriously about getting ourselves dirty in saving lives. I remember in my training having to make a decision about having to give the kiss of life to a bloke covered in blood, it certainly focused my motives.

Another success for first aid. On Saturday Glenn Hoddle was saved by Simon Daniels who did CPR on him. Hoddle is now responding well in hospital after Simon was credited with saving his life.

Thankfully one of the people around him knew what to do. Daniels said, “I just did what was necessary to give him a fighting chance.
It was my training as a special constable that paid off.”
So one of our own has had the vital benefit of first aid training. His training to what he did was part of his work regime. I so applaud companies who give their staff first aid tuition. I did many years of successive courses with BT, my employer at the time. As well as initial training, a six week evening course, they also gave us referesher and advanced training with St Johns Ambulance, many of whose staff were brought in from casualty units of local hospitals.

So another WINNER, THINK ABOUT IT, IT MIGHT DO YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE A REAL FAVOUR SOME DAY.