Could you ever be a terrorist? | Vital Football

Could you ever be a terrorist?

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
V

Villan Of The North

Just for one moment imagine a future wher ethe EU takes complete controll of the UK and, due to social unrest caused by high unemployment and poverty a status of defacto marshal law is permamnetly in place - unlikely but not dissimilar to the picture often painted in the world of near future science fiction.

In these circumstances it would also be reasonable to assume that a few privilaged places, such a Brussels, would be engineered "utopias".

Feeling oppressed, abused and forgotten, how far would you be willing to go to fight for your rights, for your freedom?

An uprising is one thing but planned terrorist action? Could you? Would you?

Before answering I want you to consider the experiences of blacks in South Africa, Catholics in N.Ireland and Muslims in the west AND the victims of the terrorists activities by these people or people claiming to act on their behalf.

I couldn't set indiscriminate bombs that kill innocent people who might actually agree with the principles I was fighting for.

So no, I don't think I could.

Could I pull a trigger on an oppressor who I knew to be the right target? I think so, with some ease.

I knew a man that could organise all that for you but unfortunately he's just passed away.

(Neil baker would love that)

I could pull the trigger in a similar way to JF has just said, but my shooting ability is awful - though actually looking to join a rifle club next year.

Getting in training ready for the uprising Murph?

The country is set for Revolution - I've even got Pete Burns ready to sing the national anthem.

No absolutely not. I care too much for humanity to kill indiscriminately. And although we have a undemocratic ruling elite already with the EU, I still believe that through democracy we will leave the EU, so no need for gun training yet.

The Fear - 11/12/2013 10:57

I couldn't set indiscriminate bombs that kill innocent people who might actually agree with the principles I was fighting for.

So no, I don't think I could.

Could I pull a trigger on an oppressor who I knew to be the right target? I think so, with some ease.

What about a bomb under a parliament building, assuming that it was only members of the ruling elite that were in the building.

Edit: So you could be an assassin but not a terrorist? Is that what you mean?

I could be a freedom fighter, definately.

If I thought my childrens lives or freedoms were under threat I'd do anything.

For example - if they decided to have sharia law in areas of the UK, and where I live was selected.

James06 - 11/12/2013 15:13

For example - if they decided to have sharia law in areas of the UK, and where I live was selected.

But does your cause mitigate the use of terror tactics?

Villan Of The North - 11/12/2013 14:16

If you mean would I plant bombs in the mosque, or take to the streets and riot and petrol bomb the sharia court with my compatriots.

Then yes I would.

villawill - 11/12/2013 15:27

I think most 'terrorists' see themselves as freedom fighters

That doesn't stop them being terrorists though.

The word is misused and misunderstood. The French soldiers used terror tactics in the peninsular wars in Portugal and Spain, they may have been Frances official army but they were still terrorists. A terrorist is purely someone who tries to frighten their way to victory by being as horrible as they can. Guerilla soldiers are not terrorists, freedom fighters can be either or or indeed both.

James06 - 11/12/2013 14:32

Villan Of The North - 11/12/2013 14:16

If you mean would I plant bombs in the mosque, or take to the streets and riot and petrol bomb the sharia court with my compatriots.

Then yes I would.

They could all be seen as legitimate targets in that situation - terrorism is defined (at least i thought) as creating fear and terror amongst the general population

A good defintion villawill, hence my comment that freedom fighters can be terrorists too.

When I posted the thread I was interested to know if anyone thought thst terror tactics were ever ligitimate or if they were always out of bounds no matter what. When one bombs a mosque then one is targeting a figurehead in the scenareo given by Jim, yes it could be legitimate but surely not if it's in the middle of worship when many if not most of those affected would be guilty of nothing more than a religious belief.

Villan Of The North - 11/12/2013 15:12

A good defintion villawill, hence my comment that freedom fighters can be terrorists too.

When I posted the thread I was interested to know if anyone thought thst terror tactics were ever ligitimate or if they were always out of bounds no matter what. When one bombs a mosque then one is targeting a figurehead in the scenareo given by Jim, yes it could be legitimate but surely not if it's in the middle of worship when many if not most of those affected would be guilty of nothing more than a religious belief.

That's exactly when i'd do it mate, right at peak time in the middle of friday prayers.

The answer to the initial question is YES....

Under the right circumstances, with the right upbringing anyone who reads these forums could revert to using terror tactics. We have the behaviour in our lockers somewhere, its just a case of having the right buttons pressed.

Its very easy to sit on a throne and say "I wouldnt do it"....But you are making that decision under the life cycle you, yourself have lived. If you had lived the life cycle of an active terrorist, then you behave as such. The other thing to note, is people do change over time. Having children, getting married, the death of a loved one, or anything come to that matter over your life's journey can change your path, your mindset, your behaviour, your outlook, etc..