Could you ever be a terrorist? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Could you ever be a terrorist?

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
Wurzel I found this an interesting question on the psychopath programme the other night.This psychologist bloke had asked the question to a few students saying if you were in a room with a two week old baby and you were told that baby would grow up to be Ian Huntley (he used Hitler but I think this day and age Huntley is more fitting)now that door is going to be shut for ten minutes and you have to decide the fate of that baby would you put a pillow over it's face or not?

Well obviously it was a hypothetical question and it would be impossible to pose such a situation but if it were possible could you live with the consequences I couldn't.

Yes because we don't know what the consequences would be. Also people have to take personal responsibility for their crimes. Nobody is to blame for Huntley's crimes other than Huntley.

Like I say mate obviously this situation could never come about but hypothetically if you could be 100% sure and you had the chance to change the course of history would you?Spot on only Huntley is responsible for his crimes but it's just human nature to blame ourselves if we could have prevented it.

Thing is, something happened to Huntley between being born and committing his crime(s) that made him do it.

Baby Huntley was totally innocent - hence there is no way I could do it.

James06 - 17/12/2013 12:16

Thing is, something happened to Huntley between being born and committing his crime(s) that made him do it.

Baby Huntley was totally innocent - hence there is no way I could do it.
Even if there was some miracle way of being 100% sure?

Nope, because it's killing an innocent baby. It makes you as bad as him.

If you do it, even if you can be a 100% sure he therefore obviously wont commit that crime, you cant be 100% sure that whatever happened to him, happens to someone else, and they then commit the crime.

Well Hitler was once innocent so was Manson so was Hindley so if you believe in fate then these monsters were always destined to do what they did.But like I say Jim it was just an hypothetical question where if you were 100% sure how things would pan out for that baby.

I dont think I do believe in fate then mate. From what i've seen, read or heard about most criminals, you can usually trace back to something in their early life that has made them the way they are.

I read a book about Fred and Rosemary West - their childhoods were well and truly messed up. Them getting together was a recipe for disaster.

Sometimes as well Jim it is through undiagnosed/diagnosed illness which doesn't take away the heinous nature of the crimes committed.

For instance The Yorkshire ripper is a paranoid schizophrenic. With medication he is fine however that does not mean he is safe to be allowed out in the public for more reasons than 1. That is the same as Brady, who even though receives treatment is NOT O.K with medication

James06 - 17/12/2013 12:46

I dont think I do believe in fate then mate. From what i've seen, read or heard about most criminals, you can usually trace back to something in their early life that has made them the way they are.

I read a book about Fred and Rosemary West - their childhoods were well and truly messed up. Them getting together was a recipe for disaster.
Yeah most abusers have been abused themselves in earlier life seen a programme about the Wests he was always a bit of a oddball though.But rest assured Jim I'm not about to start trawling maternity wards checking out the gene pools of the newly borns :17:

kefkat - 17/12/2013 12:57

Sometimes as well Jim it is through undiagnosed/diagnosed illness which doesn't take away the heinous nature of the crimes committed.

For instance The Yorkshire ripper is a paranoid schizophrenic. With medication he is fine however that does not mean he is safe to be allowed out in the public for more reasons than 1. That is the same as Brady, who even though receives treatment is NOT O.K with medication
The problems occur if they stop taking the medication.

Trawling the maternity units checking the gene pools is not goign to achieve anything anyway. It's incidents and upbringing that create monsters - ALL new borns are innocent.

Even for genetic mental health issues, with treatment and the correct upbringing a good person will develop.

James06 - 17/12/2013 13:49

Trawling the maternity units checking the gene pools is not goign to achieve anything anyway. It's incidents and upbringing that create monsters - ALL new borns are innocent.

Even for genetic mental health issues, with treatment and the correct upbringing a good person will develop.
Yeah I would say your right in a massive majority of people but I do think it is possible in very exceptional cases to be born evil.

Wurzel - 17/12/2013 07:46

Green Tea - 11/12/2013 15:48

The answer to the initial question is YES....

Under the right circumstances, with the right upbringing anyone who reads these forums could revert to using terror tactics. We have the behaviour in our lockers somewhere, its just a case of having the right buttons pressed.

Its very easy to sit on a throne and say "I wouldnt do it"....But you are making that decision under the life cycle you, yourself have lived. If you had lived the life cycle of an active terrorist, then you behave as such. The other thing to note, is people do change over time. Having children, getting married, the death of a loved one, or anything come to that matter over your life's journey can change your path, your mindset, your behaviour, your outlook, etc..

What a ridiculous statement, although I should expect it with your weird outlook on the world. I can with certainty say I would not commit a terrorist act, and would probably not take a human life even if there was a legitimate conflict. Seriously you constantly put forward your religious views but seem to me at least one of the most unchristian people I have ever come across.

That is because you only see the world through YOUR own eyes. Yet you could have been born a terrorist.

Yes I could be a terrorist.
If another country attacked my country and took it over,I would go underground and defend it in any way possible.I wouldn`t deliberately hurt innocent women and kids,but i would definitely murder,torture and commit other terrorist acts in the defence of my country.
If that`s what`s called "being a terrorist".

ter·ror·ist [ter-er-ist] Show IPA
noun
a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
a person who terrorizes or frightens others.
(formerly) a member of a political group in Russia aiming at the demoralization of the government by terror.
an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.

Juan Mourep - 13/12/2013 14:32

Villan Of The North - 11/12/2013 09:45

An uprising is one thing but planned terrorist action? Could you? Would you?

Surely you mean a planned attack by freedom fighters/resistance movement? A terrorist is a label given to those who stand up for their and their countrymen's rights.

I would like to point out that in no way do I condone actions against a civilian population.

And here was me thinking a terrorist was someone who indiscriminately murdered innocent women and children....you learn something new every day.