Costly results this season | Vital Football

Costly results this season

eye_nose_hat

Vital Squad Member
It looks like we will miss out on the play-offs by at least 3 points. I expect Cardiff to beat Hull and we should beat a poor Reading side.

So lets look at some results that have cost us this season that were easily avoided and games we lost we should have drawn, and drawn games we should have won:

Obviously there'll be the opposites of those we were fortunate to win but hey..

Luton 0-1 - 1 Point lost
Facing a poor side, somehow we lose it 1-0. Can't help but think if Cooper had switched to a back 3, even at the start of the restart, we'd have at least drawn this.

Blackburn Rovers 2-2 - 2 points dropped
90th minute equaliser, 2 points dropped.

Fulham 1-0
A game we probably didnt deserve to draw, but another 90th minute goal conceded to cost us a point.

Hull 4-4 - 2 points dropped
A mad game, this. Got it back to 3-3, then 3-4 in 84th minute before Eaves equalises in 90th minute, 2 points dropped again right at the end.

Derby 2-3 - 1 point dropped
80th-minute winner for Derby.

Stoke 1-2 - 1 point dropped
Hogan wins it in 90th minute.

Reading 1-1 - 2 points dropped
Yiadom equalises in 90th minute.

Forest 0-1 - 1 point dropped
85th minute winner.

Excluding the Fulham result which I think was fair anyway, that's 10 points dropped. If you only count the late goals, it's 9 points in the latter part of games where we've thrown games away.

I know it's all pointless now but given the poor standard this year, the quality in this squad, I still think we were good enough to be up there with the likes of Fulham and Forest who I thought were nothing special at all when we played them last week.

Not much hope of an upset there, as sadly, Hull are in free fall and were hammered 8-0 at Wigan in their last away match.
It has cost us dearly these last minute goals conceded, such a shame.
We look much better with a back three and wing backs, and the last few matches give us hope that we can go one better next season.

Well done to Barnsley this afternoon, they had to win at home to Forest to have any chance of staying up and scored the only goal in the 93rd minute.
What this means for us though is with 1 game left:
Forest are in 5th on 70 points with a goal difference of 11
Cardiff are in 6th on 70 points with a goal difference of 7
Swans are in 7th on 67 points with a goal difference of 6
On Wednesday evening 22 July:
Forest are at home to unpredictable Stoke
Cardiff are at home to lowly Hull
Swans are away at Reading
Both Cardiff and Forest only need a draw to secure a play-off spot, we have to win.
If Cardiff lose 0-1 and we win 0-1 we are in the play-offs
If Forest lose 0-3 and we win 0-3 we are in the play-offs, even if Cardiff win

Last edited: