Coronavirus | Page 73 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Czech Republic's healthcare system on the brink of collapse
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/30/europe/czech-second-wave-hospital-crisis-teens-intl/index.html

The Czech Republic has an infection rate that is higher than almost any other major country on earth -- six times higher than the United States. Officially, one in every 63 people in the country are currently infected with the virus.

"We don't have enough nurses, doctors and technicians," explained Dr. Tomáš Gabrhelík, the head ICU doctor in Zlín. About 15% of his colleagues are out sick with the virus. He says he will soon have to ask them to come back to work even if they're still ill. Students and volunteers are helpful, he says, but doctors are irreplaceable. The government, he says, can only do so much to help, "because every region has the same problem."
The hospital says if things don't change, it will be forced to turn away new patients by November 2.

The US National Guard has committed to sending a few dozen medics to the Czech Republic, and the European Union will send 300.
They're nice gestures, but only a drop in the bucket. It will take 140 more doctors and nurses to make just the Zlín Hospital alone fully functional again.

The sudden turn-for-the-worst comes after the Czech government was praised for its handling of the first wave in the spring. A strict stay-at-home order, along with an unpopular but effective legal mandate to wear a mask anywhere outside the home helped quickly tamp down the virus. By early summer, the daily death toll was down to zero. After that, it seems complacency set in.

Czech Republic's healthcare system on the brink of collapse
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/30/europe/czech-second-wave-hospital-crisis-teens-intl/index.html

The Czech Republic has an infection rate that is higher than almost any other major country on earth -- six times higher than the United States. Officially, one in every 63 people in the country are currently infected with the virus.

"We don't have enough nurses, doctors and technicians," explained Dr. Tomáš Gabrhelík, the head ICU doctor in Zlín. About 15% of his colleagues are out sick with the virus. He says he will soon have to ask them to come back to work even if they're still ill. Students and volunteers are helpful, he says, but doctors are irreplaceable. The government, he says, can only do so much to help, "because every region has the same problem."
The hospital says if things don't change, it will be forced to turn away new patients by November 2.

The US National Guard has committed to sending a few dozen medics to the Czech Republic, and the European Union will send 300.
They're nice gestures, but only a drop in the bucket. It will take 140 more doctors and nurses to make just the Zlín Hospital alone fully functional again.

The sudden turn-for-the-worst comes after the Czech government was praised for its handling of the first wave in the spring. A strict stay-at-home order, along with an unpopular but effective legal mandate to wear a mask anywhere outside the home helped quickly tamp down the virus. By early summer, the daily death toll was down to zero. After that, it seems complacency set in.

How can this be? I've been reliably informed by Imp79/Swedishimp that coronavirus is no worse than seasonal 'flu and by Harry57 that there will be no second wave?

Care to comment, guys?

Secondary school infections one of the key factors propelling the rise of cases it would seem..

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...iruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/30october2020

There has been growth in all age groups over the past two weeks; older teenagers and young adults continue to have the highest current rates while rates appear to be steeply increasing among secondary school children.

Well, that's no surprise. If they then spread that to other people, the notion school-kids are somehow different in terms of spreading the disease looks increasingly untenable.

Well, that's no surprise. If they then spread that to other people, the notion school-kids are somehow different in terms of spreading the disease looks increasingly untenable.
Trouble is, schools can do all they can to enforce measures, but - generalisation alert - older kids go round in gangs after school, smoke in groups outside Costcutter, etc. and often have that rebellious don't care streak that makes them least likely people in society to take a blind bit of notice of grown ups telling them not to do stuff.

Infections of all sorts have always spread quickly in schools.
And schools also include many adults in age groups right up to retirement.
It's nonsense to say don't mix with another household and then have everyone in schools mixing for hours every day with people from dozens and up to hundreds of different households.

It surely could be done more safely. Have partial classes (Etonian in size!) go to school in turn, one day or half day at a time. Give out homework for other days. Mix that with online classes. Things are possible.

Infections of all sorts have always spread quickly in schools.
And schools also include many adults in age groups right up to retirement.
It's nonsense to say don't mix with another household and then have everyone in schools mixing for hours every day with people from dozens and up to hundreds of different households.

It surely could be done more safely. Have partial classes (Etonian in size!) go to school in turn, one day or half day at a time. Give out homework for other days. Mix that with online classes. Things are possible.

Apparently not according to education secretary Gavin Williamson in August
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53718066

Oh and wee bit furious to say the least.
Furlough scheme gets extended just five hours before October ends!
Well my company and I'm pretty sure many others too, have just made redundant all my colleagues who had been on furlough.
And that decision was made at start of month (as a month's notice is of course standard).
So I have lost good friends of many years who are unlikely to find any other work in current climate all because of this most shameful of governments.

Oh and wee bit furious to say the least.
Furlough scheme gets extended just five hours before October ends!
Well my company and I'm pretty sure many others too, have just made redundant all my colleagues who had been on furlough.
And that decision was made at start of month (as a month's notice is of course standard).
So I have lost good friends of many years who are unlikely to find any other work in current climate all because of this most shameful of governments.

Can't disagree. Good luck.

I don't believe anywhere in the UK is overwhelmed yet, many are very, very busy and a couple have cancelled some surgeries.
Given the rate at which we brought online the Nightingale hospitals (and one assumes they have merely been mothballed rather than completely disassembled again) we won't be short of ICU beds nationally I don't think. At a local level that might be different. Of course each of those ICU beds need staffing full time with at least 3 trained staff and we definitely don't have that capacity. If the rate continues to rise as it is we will inevitably experience a degradation in services as we simply wear out the hospital and support staff (again). That period may well be shorter than last time since none of those staff have had much (if any) time to rest and recuperate from the last time they had herculean demands placed up them (and all that clapping didn't actually do much in that respect to help).

I predict that they will rise heroically to the challenge (as I predicted last time they would) but there is no doubt exhausted staff driven to the end of their tether, under immense workload, with a much higher than average risk of contracting the disease and the pressure of having peoples lives in their hands will make mistakes and have to live with them.

Still at least if this peak arrives to match the springs our government will have sorted out all those PPE shortages so our heroic NHS staff can be confident they have the best gear available to give them the best chance of survival eh?

Our government owes them that at the very, very least after the complete cl**terf**k of the Spring where there is no doubt in my mind that Boris, Dominic et als complete incompetence and willingness to divert government funds to their friends and crooks on the make actually killed some NHS workers.

Make no mistake this government has blood on it's hands, this must not be forgotten...

Great post - but will they ever be held to account?

Imagine, we could of had a prime minister suspended by his own party to sort this night mare out.

Sadly tonight having our last pre lockdown meal with relatives who work in the front line end of the nhs, blame the idiots who can’t obey the rules and look for every turn to look for a loophole to exploit the government rules.

The man who is the king of Manchester who kept them out of tier 3 for 9/10 days, how many lives will this sadly cost.

Imagine, we could of had a prime minister suspended by his own party to sort this night mare out.

Sadly tonight having our last pre lockdown meal with relatives who work in the front line end of the nhs, blame the idiots who can’t obey the rules and look for every turn to look for a loophole to exploit the government rules.

The man who is the king of Manchester who kept them out of tier 3 for 9/10 days, how many lives will this sadly cost.
Nope I blame the government who were told to do this two weeks ago, its all documented if you can be bothered. Boris tried to hang Manchester and failed, Well done Andy for sticking up for his constituents, and all of a sudden we have 80% furlough again.

Good old magic money tree when the south is involved, it is sickening and i challenge anyone to stand up for it.

Nope I blame the government who were told to do this two weeks ago, its all documented if you can be bothered. Boris tried to hang Manchester and failed, Well done Andy for sticking up for his constituents, and all of a sudden we have 80% furlough again.

Well done Andy for keeping Manchester out out of tier 3 and locking people down. ICU and hospital’s are filling up to capacity but as long as our Andy’s political career marches on in the mean time, who gives a monkeys regardless of what the ICU consultants have to say.

Well done Andy for keeping Manchester out out of tier 3 and locking people down. ICU and hospital’s are filling up to capacity but as long as our Andy’s political career marches on in the mean time, who gives a monkeys regardless of what the ICU consultants have to say.
Brilliant, just brilliant, ignoring the fact that the government ignored Sage and failed to continue Furlough until today, who gives a monkeys hey.