Coronavirus | Page 77 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Incredibly, we're actually about to try something different apparently..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/europe...ld-get-tested-for-covid-everybody-11604346337

And the much vaunted "testing the whole of Liverpool" proves yet another abject failure by this most useless government ever.
Population of Liverpool is 900,000 and 1,400,000 in wider Merseyside.
After four long days, four!, they have managed to test only 23,000 people in Liverpool. That's just 2.5% of Liverpool.
What is the point of that?? Utter waste of time yet again.
Slovakia managed entire country in a weekend, twice!

And the much vaunted "testing the whole of Liverpool" proves yet another abject failure by this most useless government ever.
After four long days, four!, they have managed to test only 23,000 people in Liverpool. That's just 2.5% of Liverpool.

And I'm sure if you mentioned Slovakia to Johnson he'd be easily capable of coming up with a racial slur.

You'd think eventually we'd run out of ammo to shoot ourselves in the foot with, but no there seems an endless supply of fully loaded magazines immediately handy...

At least 40% will vote for Tories at the next election, though. Go figure.

I'm taking a leaf out of the right-wing playbook and just looking after myself, now. I'll always vote left, but I have literally no sympathy available for working-class Tory voters.

Out of interest, in these trials, is every participant exposed to the virus and then tested to see if illness develops?

Or were they just left to go about their "normal" lives and then see if any happened to catch it? If the latter then hard to see how you can assess the success of the vaccine.

But if the former, then with 8 catching it out of 23,000 seems to give a success rate of around 99.7%.

So confused as to what the claims of this virus test are.

Out of interest, in these trials, is every participant exposed to the virus and then tested to see if illness develops?

Or were they just left to go about their "normal" lives and then see if any happened to catch it? If the latter then hard to see how you can assess the success of the vaccine.

But if the former, then with 8 catching it out of 23,000 seems to give a success rate of around 99.7%.

In the Oxford trial they initially went and trialled it in places with very high incidence of the virus (Brazil and India?) and then later on got permission to give people a version of the virus to test immunity..

If the sample is big enough, you can estimate typical infection rates without specifically infecting people to some degree of accuracy.

But I don't know if that's what they did.

Well if you want cheering up can I suggest you listen to the Newscast podcast from the BBC that has just come out? (The Yes Man of the Moment)
Their guest is the regius professor of medicine at the University of Oxford. He is incredibly positive about the vaccine and its distribution and also large scale testing while the vaccine gets rolled out. It really does sound as though the end of our nightmare might be visible on the horizon. He is also very positive about our governments role in obtaining 10% of the worlds supply of the Pfizer vaccine so a fair shake to them...

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-priority-tory-party-755689

Some split on who should get the vaccine first in the Tory party... As per the piece, the argument goes that if the elderly are unlikely to re-enter society anytime soon, should priority be given to those who want to get out and about and get the economy moving again? Not sure I follow that line... Nor what you would do about the rest of the people stuck unvaccinated and vulnerable.

My favourite line though is the unnamed tory mp who thought maybe they should get it first...

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-priority-tory-party-755689

Some split on who should get the vaccine first in the Tory party... As per the piece, the argument goes that if the elderly are unlikely to re-enter society anytime soon, should priority be given to those who want to get out and about and get the economy moving again? Not sure I follow that line... Nor what you would do about the rest of the people stuck unvaccinated and vulnerable.

My favourite line though is the unnamed tory mp who thought maybe they should get it first...

Well my counterpoint to that is every time someone in a care home dies from Coronavirus after the vaccine is available then those MP's supporting that approach get punched in the face....

The Tories are so stupid, they don't even realise they're killing their (largely older) voting base. :lol:

Sorry to be flippant, but I'm not sure what to do with such Herculean levels of missing human empathy.

Well my counterpoint to that is every time someone in a care home dies from Coronavirus after the vaccine is available then those MP's supporting that approach get punched in the face....
As an old colleague said "hurt em a reight lot with pins and things".

If the sample is big enough, you can estimate typical infection rates without specifically infecting people to some degree of accuracy.

But I don't know if that's what they did.

I have since been informed that there was no intentional infecting of people.
But also that the test is just over half way through in terms of assessing how many catch it. The aim is to reach around 160 infected people and compare the split of infected people in the two halves of the sample (vaccinated & placebo'd).
The current "over 90%" success rate could therefore drop down.
Interestingly one of the owners made over $6 million selling a portion of shares the day after he'd announced the news on the trials (and seen a big leap in share value of course).

I have since been informed that there was no intentional infecting of people.
But also that the test is just over half way through in terms of assessing how many catch it. The aim is to reach around 160 infected people and compare the split of infected people in the two halves of the sample (vaccinated & placebo'd).
The current "over 90%" success rate could therefore drop down.
Interestingly one of the owners made over $6 million selling a portion of shares the day after he'd announced the news on the trials (and seen a big leap in share value of course).

Capitalism gonna capitalise...

Hurrah for finally getting large NHS record data sets online in one place and available for analysis...game changer for the future