Coronavirus | Page 101 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

A cringeworthy interview on GMB this morning (yes another one) from Matt Hancock. How on earth anyone could vote for this shower of ghouls and incompetents, and then have the nerve to complain about how utterly useless they are in Government is beyond me. Fucking shy Tories are a plague on this country.

This really shows up how flawed our democracy is.
First past the past allows parties to win a majority of MPs (and often a very large majority of MPs) with nearly always a minority of those who voted.
If whole electorate are taken into account, we can even see majority governments elected with under 30% of electorate backing them.
And then once elected, the winning party leader gets to be Prime Minister, elected to the party leadership by a very small section of electorate who happen to have a vote within that party. Unlike some other countries, we have no direct say at all in who leads our government.
And then further, all other ministers, who are each given control of billions of public funds, are chosen solely by that Prime Minister with no reference to even the rest of the governing party let alone Parliament or the wider electorate.
And as a consequence of all this, we now have an incompetent Prime Minister who in turn has appointed the most incompetent bunch of ministers ever seen.
If they were running a big corporation, it would now have been liquidated out of existence.

I did read an Australian article that cast doubt on effectiveness of the "Oxford" vaccine saying their studies of it rated it considerably less effective than the Pfizer one and the other one (around 50% instead of 90%), and that Australia should switch to the other ones according to availability.
So maybe we haven't quite achieved "world-beating" yet again.
How reliable the article was, I don't know but it seemed to be reporting on what Australia's vaccine authorities were saying.

Politics degree, final year, unit 2, question avoidance. Goes without saying, no exams or coursework required to pass.

Ah, yes, Sweden (Graun):

"Sweden, whose unorthodox pandemic strategy placed it in the global spotlight, reported a record number of Covid-19 deaths for a single day on Thursday, taking the total toll above 10,000, although new infections appear to be easing.

The country of 10 million inhabitants registered 351 more deaths since Wednesday, statistics from the Public Health Agency showed, and reported 6,580 new coronavirus cases, with the daily number trending lower since late December.

Some 10,185 people have now died in Sweden from Covid-19 since the pandemic began, it said."

Yes Sweden.
Currently running at 1005 deaths per million, not too far behind us at 1245 deaths per million.
Compare them to their neighbours who decided covid did need some attention:
Norway is at 94 deaths per million.
Finland is at 111 deaths per million.
Denmark is at 286 deaths per million.

Huge differences there.

I think all countries will struggle with this but it is possible to deal competently with a pandemic if the government has the will and ability to do so. We certainly don't have such a government in the UK (and it goes without saying the US haven't had, to date).

Excellent news.
Were you told when 2nd dose will be ?

No just the 10-12 weeks, the whole process was well explained by staff with consent and side effects thoroughly explained with the ability to answer questions at every stage. The vaccine type received with batch numbers are given to you on a card to present for the 2nd dose. Couldn't fault the staff and those who organised it. My arm ached for about 36 hours and that was it.

No just the 10-12 weeks, the whole process was well explained by staff with consent and side effects thoroughly explained with the ability to answer questions at every stage. The vaccine type received with batch numbers are given to you on a card to present for the 2nd dose. Couldn't fault the staff and those who organised it. My arm ached for about 36 hours and that was it.

Terrific news, so glad you got your jab in a timely manner, perhaps this is one aspect we are not going to royally screw up...