Coronavirus | Page 585 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Yep, I have some Indian blood in my other half’s side of the family who are older, who were leavers. Also, I remember talking to people who I work with who had older parents, were also leavers. I worked with some Asians in their 30’s or 40’s who were leavers too.

The common theme was anti immigration for me, even those coming in from the same origins as they were from. I guess like a stereotypical white leavers, they want the services to support them and their family.
Pretty much all of my (Indian) wife's family over the age of 40 voted for Brexit on the grounds of immigration, due to a particular disdain for Eastern Europeans.

Pretty much all of my (Indian) wife's family over the age of 40 voted for Brexit on the grounds of immigration, due to a particular disdain for Eastern Europeans.
This is a subject that makes me chuckle.
I worked extensively in a predominantly Asian agency in one of my insurance jobs, and always had to be on my toes with regard what I said to the Indians and Pakistanis I used to service due to their outright hatred of each other.
I initially was very shocked by this, but then over the years they used to take it in turns to educate me to their point of view with regard to Partition in1947 and the various religious differences and the percieved "superiority" of one group over another.
And yes, the Indian guy canvassing for Brexit I referred to in my earlier post went to great lengths to tell me how the Eastern Europeans had ruined Handsworth Wood, an area of Brum, and he and his family and friends were all selling up and moving to Sutton Coldfield.
A bit like "white flight" only with Asians.

This could go into the politics thread however I’ll stick it in here as it’s a bi-product of COVID.

Rough sleeping has dropped 37% to I think it was on the news to 2.5k. I think this is one thing the government and councils have definitely got right (which is unusual for me I know) during the pandemic, but there could be a homeless problem around the corner with the cash economy and so much of the economy having stopped.

I did think there would be a lot more than 2.5k rough sleepers however, that’s a very small number. Surely the real number of homeless - perhaps squatters or couch surfers - must be ten times higher?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-warned-rough-sleeping-figures-23563254

Last edited:
LBC radio this morning the presenter, was asking why BAME communities in the UK were not taking up the vaccine. LBC is London based and mainly London orientated. He came up with Alum Rock and Sutton/four oaks as two areas of Birmingham that are just a few miles apart (nearly 10 in reality) One being 91% BAME and the other 12% Bame. Alum Rock has a 60% take-up in over 80'S and Sutton 95% .
My mind was telling me why are they comparing areas and not like for like people, why are they not comparing the 91% with the 12% who are likely to be different social classes but the same colour

It would be the same then as comparing a rough white area with a posh white area and see if they take up is lower in the poor, less educated anti-government a white areas.
We'd then see if it is down to being poor or it's cultural etc

I know I overthink some things and under think others

And even worse, BBC Midlands Today is doing the same comparison now. But at least they are going into more differences than simply race.

I'm getting rather bored of posh kids moaning about teachers assessments and using mock results for their grades - because they didn't revise, they were doing preparation work for fucking Japanese at Oxford.

Dad says the clue is in the title - they are mock exams - they aren't important so I said don't worry about them.

Yes, the clue is in the title, mock exams to show where your fucking weak points are.

I nailed my mocks and got complacent, should I go and sue somebody and bitch when the truth is, I fucked up?

This could go into the politics thread however I’ll stick it in here as it’s a bi-product of COVID.

Rough sleeping has dropped 37% to I think it was on the news to 2.5k. I think this is one thing the government and councils have definitely got right (which is unusual for me I know) during the pandemic, but there could be a homeless problem around the corner with the cash economy and so much of the economy having stopped.

I did think there would be a lot more than 2.5k rough sleepers however, that’s a very small number. Surely the real number of homeless - perhaps squatters or couch surfers - must be ten times higher?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-warned-rough-sleeping-figures-23563254

Anecdotally, there seems to be a similar trend here. One of our sons and his wife used to do a Sunday night run providing food, toiletries, clothes and other necessities for the homeless. There has been a big fall off in demand in recent times. We provided them with some sleeping bags, socks, fleeces, undies etc about a month ago - they're still in the back of our son's car.

The Queen says do your duty, take the vaccine.

Good enough for me, I know that will antagonise the anti-monarchy brigade but feck em.

Not a big fan of the monarchy. Nothing personal against the queen or any of them (apart from Andrew). It's the least she could do.

I'm getting rather bored of posh kids moaning about teachers assessments and using mock results for their grades - because they didn't revise, they were doing preparation work for fucking Japanese at Oxford.

Dad says the clue is in the title - they are mock exams - they aren't important so I said don't worry about them.

Yes, the clue is in the title, mock exams to show where your fucking weak points are.

I nailed my mocks and got complacent, should I go and sue somebody and bitch when the truth is, I fucked up?
If anything this system is too favourable for kids because the teachers will give them better marks than they would in exams. That’s what happened last year - record numbers passed the “exams” and record numbers achieved top grades. With exams some go for you some go against you based on luck and what you’ve prioritised studying for. Some kids could have studied really hard and smashed expectations but it’s all a bit hypothetical if there’s no proof for it

If anything this system is too favourable for kids because the teachers will give them better marks than they would in exams. That’s what happened last year - record numbers passed the “exams” and record numbers achieved top grades. With exams some go for you some go against you based on luck and what you’ve prioritised studying for. Some kids could have studied really hard and smashed expectations but it’s all a bit hypothetical if there’s no proof for it

I don’t agree with it because it could be one of those “who you know not necessarily what you know” cases for pupils. Those with pushy parents on school councils or whatever it’s called, or those just friendly with teachers will benefit.

I had pretty modest expectations at school in terms of mock exam results and suggested grades, but I over performed because i put the effort in during the final 6 months. It’s always been my strategy, doss about but work hard at the end devoting your life to it 😂

Anyway, point is, some pupils do better with the pressure than expectation equally some crumble. It’s not about the crumbling but it’s not about giving every pupil an A because it’s easy.

Equally, I don’t have a solution to doing it any other way. Perhaps an algorithm? :ooops: