Coronavirus | Page 98 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Starmer for me is the comparison - but Sunak has been tainted by Corbyn/Boris yet.

At least given the amount of times we've seen him, he comes over as more genuine than Starmer (and I don't mean KS is smarmy - it's just that lawyery thing I guess?). Maybe phrasing it as not trying to get 3 steps ahead in his choice of words is better?

I always think Starmer comes over as a ditherer.

I never read his posts :lol:

Didn't realise it was paywalled - I accessed the whole article through a Twitter link.

Strangely, the Twitter link works.

The key sentence in the article is the first one of the second paragraph. "If the results are confirmed..."

Their hypothesis that the virus has been circulating in the UK for two months and nobody required hospitalisation for it during that time sounds insane. I'm surprised the FT published an article about a spurious hypothesis. Perhaps magical thinking is taught as part of all Oxford courses?

Just seen that the chancellor's help for the self employed doesn't start until June.

That's no use for a lot of people especially as registering for universal credit is just about impossible at the moment.

Banks also asking business owners for personal guarantees to get the emergency loans the government were promising.

Should’ve just stuck £1k a month in each self employed persons bank account, the minimum to get by for a few months.

Obviously it’s never 100% of people, but I would say a vast majority of the self employed are cooking their books to reduce the tax they pay or taking cash. Everyone has friends and family that aren’t whiter than white, me included. Wonder if when this is done there will be a moral obligation for the self employed to pay the correct tax? Will they heck.

On the flipside though I could pay voluntary - and I still get absolutely none of the benefits. You can't blame people for not paying, when they get nowt for it under normal circs.

About time it was levelled up though, make it fair for all across the board.

Too many assumptions on all sides really.

Should’ve just stuck £1k a month in each self employed persons bank account, the minimum to get by for a few months.

Obviously it’s never 100% of people, but I would say a vast majority of the self employed are cooking their books to reduce the tax they pay or taking cash. Everyone has friends and family that aren’t whiter than white, me included. Wonder if when this is done there will be a moral obligation for the self employed to pay the correct tax? Will they heck.

Probably one for a different discussion thread I guess. But not sure the majority are exactly cooking the books, remember self employed and small business owners (oh I know you aren't necessarily criticising by the way) get no holiday pay, statutory sick pay etc and so on and so forth.

Probably one for a different discussion thread I guess. But not sure the majority are exactly cooking the books, remember self employed and small business owners (oh I know you aren't necessarily criticising by the way) get no holiday pay, statutory sick pay etc and so on and so forth.

yep when I was contracting I never had holiday pay sick pay and was on a one-month rolling contract, no rights nothing. Money was crazy at fist then no pay rises either eat into it. Ok if you are a young man and fit and healthy, working 50 weeks of the year kills you.

Ps No Pension either

Very true, let’s just say I think a majority probably bend the rules rather than cook the books - one or two things in the old accounts which shouldn’t be.

The chip on my shoulder is one particular useless, swarmy project manager I once worked with who didn’t do a lot, was on a wedge and had somehow transferred his earnings out of the U.K. and paid less in tax than someone in £20k a year - or so he claimed.

Always paid Class 2 going back to 2001 - I only genuinely looked at the benefits/pension side when they made the change the other year and made it voluntary based on income level and even though it was only a couple of a quid a month - I was never going to get anything from it and I decided society as a whole benefited more by me using that couple of quid in shops where tax/VAT/other businesses benefited as a total.

With that said, if they hadn't have made the change, I wouldn't have quibbled about paying even though there was no real benefit for me.

As said, purely on this side of life, if there is a decent thing to come out of this it's that employed and self employed should be treated the same and pro rata, pay the same, based on earnings.

So much money wasted on paperwork in self employment/directorships with the various schemes that can be used and so on and the semantics between 'legal avoidance' and illegal 'evasion'. Knuckle it all down, get a fair figure and instead of spending hundreds looking for the 'person' fudging a tenner, spend thousands hammering the ***** who fudge millions - mentioning...cough...no one like Amazon or Google etc.

As for the announcement....credit where it was due, that's a bloody good package all in for the vast majority as my understanding...

Established will be told if they qualify based on profits for the last 1-3 years, 80% of that - taxable ultimately and needs declaring - but grant not repaying, so it's an unexpected lift to help tide you over.

12 months or less now get access to Universal Credit, which isn't ideal for them but if still building the business, it'll at least mean they can tread water if they are sensible.

In both cases you can still work and earn what you can as a further lift - if appropriate.

I've not looked into what this means for Limited Co's etc as it doesn't concern me. And whilst I've still no idea what it means for me in terms of £'s and how they will work that out (or even if I qualify) - they'll be a number of people sleeping easier tonight in my humble - even if they aren't jumping for joy....but it's about tiding over.

I think with Limited companies the directors/owners are employees of the company and therefore come under the PAYE arrangements.
Was my guess, was just making clear I couldn't comment on how decent a deal that was as I hadn't looked into it. I'm still not entirely sure I understand the bit that applies to me lol

But just to placate Dan - I'm sure I'm going to pay for those acceptable deductions I didn't take as wage! PMSL