Coronavirus | Page 583 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

No flu this year!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/no-influenza-detected-publich-health-103828972.html

which raises some questions, obviously.

There’s been no flu season anywhere in the world this year, including the UK,” she told The Independent. “Flu is one of the big reasons that the NHS struggles every winter. But what I think is really interesting is that people say we live with flu deaths every year and kind of assumed they were unavoidable. Yet clearly they’re not.

“If we wanted to, we’ve shown we can reduce flu deaths to pretty much zero. I don’t think that the damage we have done through lockdown is anything that anyone would support to prevent flu, but it does bring into question the idea of whether there is anything that we can do.”

She said that hand sanitiser should be kept available in all shops and transport hubs for the years to come, and argued that it is “worth encouraging people to wear masks” on public transport and in other busy environments during the winter months.

No flu this year!

There’s been no flu season anywhere in the world this year, including the UK,” she told The Independent. “Flu is one of the big reasons that the NHS struggles every winter. But what I think is really interesting is that people say we live with flu deaths every year and kind of assumed they were unavoidable. Yet clearly they’re not.

“If we wanted to, we’ve shown we can reduce flu deaths to pretty much zero. I don’t think that the damage we have done through lockdown is anything that anyone would support to prevent flu, but it does bring into question the idea of whether there is anything that we can do.”

She said that hand sanitiser should be kept available in all shops and transport hubs for the years to come, and argued that it is “worth encouraging people to wear masks” on public transport and in other busy environments during the winter months.

I think we’ve all learned lessons this year that we should carry forward. If you have elderly folk in your family, keep your distance in flu season. Perhaps older people might choose to wear masks when out and about in key times? The stigma of wearing a mask has gone, it could be the norm for some at key times of the year.

One of the professors did say there are things we can learn for the future.

When I think back to being on a packed train in the winter with loads of people coughing and sneezing constantly , the thought of doing that again without a mask horrifies me.

Yes, I will 100% use a mask when I go to the doctors, I might well use one if I have to use *shudders at the thought* public transport and maybe even in a taxi.

I will also continue to use hand gel. I did start years back, then read about people being too clean, needing some germs etc, so stopped. I won't stop this time!

Always did wash my hands, so no problem there, also, when using door handles, I try to use them high up where no one else will regularly use!

When I think back to being on a packed train in the winter with loads of people coughing and sneezing constantly , the thought of doing that again without a mask horrifies me.

Companies too should be more accepting of flexible working with any hint of illness to work from home. I’ve worked at places where calling in sick is frowned upon, but if people are responsible enough to work from home as many are proving, it’s better they are productive at home rather than sat in front of the TV, or coming in and infecting everyone else.

No flu this year!

I remember reading about the flu years ago. It always starts in China and spreads around the world. Without international travel, the flu can't spread.

It also makes you think about what the Chinese are eating that causes the flu.

Also, if the flu starts in China every year, they could shut it down before it spreads out of its origin city.

I remember reading about the flu years ago. It always starts in China and spreads around the world. Without international travel, the flu can't spread.

Also, if the flu starts in China every year, they could shut it down before it spreads out of its origin city.

I suspect the Chinese are sat there saying the flu always starts in America, or Europe. COVID - which did start in China - progressed pretty quickly from the East to Europe, and then made it way to north and South America. Surely the seasonal flu just mutates and then goes back to China with a mutation, so perhaps it’s a perception thing rather than always starting in China?

I suspect the Chinese are sat there saying the flu always starts in America, or Europe. COVID - which did start in China - progressed pretty quickly from the East to Europe, and then made it way to north and South America. Surely the seasonal flu just mutates and then goes back to China with a mutation, so perhaps it’s a perception thing rather than always starting in China?
Did it start in china before anyone ever went there and they weren't allowed out?

Never read that before, that all flu comes from China?

Will look later, if you do happen to have any links, that would be cool. But sounds like it was a while back so probably not.

I can't remember where I read it. It might have been in one of the medical journals from when I was working in the university. That's 20 years ago.