Coronavirus | Page 521 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

For those who think kids won't catch up both my kids lost time from school and I mean probably a year each due to illness. My daughter missed most of the 5th form and still got all A and B grades she also got A and B, A levels and a 2.1 degree in a subject she had very little interest in,
My Son did an extra year in 6th form as he struggled with A levels and his dick ruling his brains, but he got there.

People catch up, I've worked with dozens who have done degrees in their 30's and 40's. The world is very different from the one I went to school in where if you didn't do it by a certain age you never got another chance.A couple of years ago we took on a 28-year-old lad who was married with kids as an Apprentice. I'm my day the limit was 16/17 for Craft and 18 for technical appros. Kids today have it all far more than I had.

Thing is 57 the example (fair play to them btw) you use for your kids is different because we are not talking about a small number of kids we are talking about thousands and thousands of kids nationwide needing to catch up. The schools can cope with the situation that your kids found themselves in because (I presume) they were in the minority, a mere handful of extra provision .

It is truly not possible to just delay school years like has been suggested earlier in the thread today. Schools work with kids joining at one end and leaving at the other making room . If no one leaves at the end of this year becuase they haven’t finished , where are they going to go? where are the kids going into the school going to go? , who is going to teach them ?. Most schools are at max capacity for class sizes and teacher provision . There is simply no room to add extra capacity caused by thousands of kids not leaving school when they should be.

So no, just calling a halt to the school year and deferring to later in the year is not the answer.
I won’t even start on the shit storm of kids mental health Mrs M is going through and the modelling for kids needing mental health treatment beyond the pandemic is scary. The way to try and avoid this is by them being in school somehow. The government and schools need to find a way.

It's not to protect the kids, it's to protect people from catching it from them.

This is the bit people are struggling to get I think, If i get it I'm 99% sure it will be via my Granddaughter who is 4 and really wouldn't be any worse off if she stayed home she's already ahead of some of the 5-year-old in her class. If she stays at home she protects her parent's Grandparents and her twin baby brothers who are struggling in life as it is.

I like JVT a lot and I get his argument... to a point.

Vaccinate more people to 89% up to 21 days. So two grandparents would be 89% covered and not one at 95%, then fingers crossed that 89% continues for 12 weeks but there will be a decline in that numbers there has to be.

The counter is true and although he thinks it’s “unlikely”, that doesn’t fill me with confidence because you don’t want two grandparents walking around thinking they are covered (because they’ll assume they aren’t in the 11%) but are actually say only 50% covered. Statistically speaking, if the protection drops as low as that, 1 in every 4 elderly couples walking about it could both catch it and snuff it despite thinking their covered.

He no doubt is qualified to talk about this and I’m not, and I get the argument but it’s that old “half a job” saying.

Thing is 57 the example (fair play to them btw) you use for your kids is different because we are not talking about a small number of kids we are talking about thousands and thousands of kids nationwide needing to catch up. The schools can cope with the situation that your kids found themselves in because (I presume) they were in the minority, a mere handful of extra provision .

It is truly not possible to just delay school years like has been suggested earlier in the thread today. Schools work with kids joining at one end and leaving at the other making room . If no one leaves at the end of this year becuase they haven’t finished , where are they going to go? where are the kids going into the school going to go? , who is going to teach them ?. Most schools are at max capacity for class sizes and teacher provision . There is simply no room to add extra capacity caused by thousands of kids not leaving school when they should be.

So no, just calling a halt to the school year and deferring to later in the year is not the answer.
I won’t even start on the shit storm of kids mental health Mrs M is going through and the modelling for kids needing mental health treatment beyond the pandemic is scary. The way to try and avoid this is by them being in school somehow. The government and schools need to find a way.

I'm with you mate about mental health but just imagine a child brings these deadly virus home and kill their parents or Grandparents that will do far more damage than missing a few months off school.
The metal health thing is the big issue not catching up with lessons, it's all available via google these days anything you want to know,
I don't know the answer to the MH thing but I'd have loved to have stayed at home when I was a kid and we had nothing compared to today's kids not even day time tv

I'm with you mate about mental health but just imagine a child brings these deadly virus home and kill their parents or Grandparents that will do far more damage than missing a few months off school.
The metal health thing is the big issue not catching up with lessons, it's all available via google these days anything you want to know,
I don't know the answer to the MH thing but I'd have loved to have stayed at home when I was a kid and we had nothing compared to today's kids not even day time tv

I‘d be more receptive if all schools across the state spectrum were offering online lessons and had offered them previously. They haven’t and are not going to either, contrary to what the government will lead us to believe. It is creating such a potential divide.

He didn't develop it, nor did he do the tests.

#ermignoringthescience
When the Gov announced what they planned to do Pfizer immediately gave a statement saying that they had no evidence to support what the Gov was claiming and that all their trials had been conducted based on 21 day gap. There was no evidence that it is as effective if you go beyond 21 day gap.
The Ox/AZ one is said to be only 70% effective with just the first dose. I have shut myself in this house for nearly 10 months waiting for this vaccine and as soon as it comes along they want to cock it up. If there is still a 30% chance of me getting it I will have to ask myself if its worth me having it.

I‘d be more receptive if all schools across the state spectrum were offering online lessons and had offered them previously. They haven’t and are not going to either, contrary to what the government will lead us to believe. It is creating such a potential divide.

You see, this is where you lose the argument, saying or implying something as outlandish as the possibility our Government are anything other than totally straight with us and telling the truth.

:eek:

When the Gov announced what they planned to do Pfizer immediately gave a statement saying that they had no evidence to support what the Gov was claiming and that all their trials had been conducted based on 21 day gap. There was no evidence that it is as effective if you go beyond 21 day gap.
The Ox/AZ one is said to be only 70% effective with just the first dose. I have shut myself in this house for nearly 10 months waiting for this vaccine and as soon as it comes along they want to cock it up. If there is still a 30% chance of me getting it I will have to ask myself if its worth me having it.

It is though, no flu vaccination gets above 50% for instance.

I'd take what you can get and hope they don't fuck it up in the meantime astonion, but then, obviously, until more have been vaccinated and more data is available as to whether it appears it does stop the spread as well, we'll all (those who can be arsed, not the selfish ones who don't care.. and certainly excluding footballers, rich and MP's) have to continue face, space and what not.

Takes our lot to think they know better doesn't it?

It is though, no flu vaccination gets above 50% for instance.

I'd take what you can get and hope they don't fuck it up in the meantime astonion, but then, obviously, until more have been vaccinated and more data is available as to whether it appears it does stop the spread as well, we'll all (those who can be arsed, not the selfish ones who don't care.. and certainly excluding footballers, rich and MP's) have to continue face, space and what not.

Takes our lot to think they know better doesn't it?
I have had the flu jab every year for the last 10 and the one year I had really bad flu a few weeks after the jab. It only covers the strains they know about. I think the Covid is a lot more deadly and is for some having long lasting effects.

Hopefully there won't be any blow back to stretching the second dose - but I wouldn't split a course of antibiotics for example.

I like JVT a lot and I get his argument... to a point.

Vaccinate more people to 89% up to 21 days. So two grandparents would be 89% covered and not one at 95%, then fingers crossed that 89% continues for 12 weeks but there will be a decline in that numbers there has to be.

The counter is true and although he thinks it’s “unlikely”, that doesn’t fill me with confidence because you don’t want two grandparents walking around thinking they are covered (because they’ll assume they aren’t in the 11%) but are actually say only 50% covered. Statistically speaking, if the protection drops as low as that, 1 in every 4 elderly couples walking about it could both catch it and snuff it despite thinking their covered.

He no doubt is qualified to talk about this and I’m not, and I get the argument but it’s that old “half a job” saying.

no great thoughts on liking him or not tbh but as you say he is no doubt qualified to talk on the subject
(and he does seem popular).
Pfizer data has obviously gone to the MHRA to allow authorisation and JCVI advice is based on that.
I've also no doubt those two bodies are qualified to assess that data and make a judgement.
4 UK CMOs agree with prioritising a first dose - I presume they also know what they are talking about.
They agree with the JCVI on a 3 to 12 week schedule for 2nd dose Pz and 4 to 12wk for AZ which is within the MHRA authorisation.
Vaccines aren't like antibiotics - efficiacy is expected to be retained - it's just full benefit is delayed til after the 2nd dose (if a 2nd is actually needed).
(unless these ones act unlike others but then we'll know soon enough and would be waiting either way)

hopefully 70-90% protection will be rolled out to as many as possible as quickly as possible. (and folk aren't put off from getting the jab)
seemed reasonably sensible but still.

Variant 501.v2 originating from South Africa sounds very worrying. Some doubts the vaccine will work against this strain

There was a chap on from GMB who was I think a chief Scientist of the Oxford vaccine, he explained it quite simplistically. The London mutation was a change on one shoulder of the virus, whereas the SA mutation was a change on two shoulders of the virus.

Last edited: