Coronavirus | Page 288 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Did Van Tam just subtly throw Cummings under the bus lol

I haven’t watched today’s update but I like Van Tam, he has that hardness I like. He’s smart too, he positions things in the tele - the ministers like Hancock nod along and he’s got them in a place they can’t make an alternative decision from. Much better than Whitty

The government ended the lockdown early as a distraction from the Cummings issue. They also allowed the premier league to announce a restart date as a Cummings distraction.
They are pure scum.

Are you suggesting they aren’t following the science Silhill?!

Yep, it’s all gone political. Interestingly when the scientists were asked the other day about Cunmings, Boris referenced that was a political issue. The whole thing is now politics, not a science.

The whole thing hasn’t been about the science enough. It started off being economical (not wanting to shut the country at the point it should’ve of. Then it became resource driven, decision were made on what resource we had or didn’t have. Now it’s become political. Somewhere in there was some science with social distancing and lockdown, but maybe that was just following the European crowd.

The Gov can't keep saying they are following 'the science' (again, no such thing as THE science) because from what I've been reading, a lot of scientists disagree with what we are doing and it seems that many scientists and experts were wanting a far smaller daily infection rate.

this is, as you say above, political, not 'the science' and the bbq shite from the gob shite the other day was a spur of the moment attempt at deflecting from his puppet master Cummings.

Both of their actions recently will directly impact on our lives and indeed, on deaths.

I understand your frustration Melon, wanted to try and put your mind at rest as someone who has done a uni application for September, albeit as a 'mature' student on a postgrad course!

Universities themselves are in a huge bind, and are being pulled from pillar to post thanks to the wishy-washy advice from the government. Some of them have thousands of people spread across multiple campuses, coming in from all over the world to plan for, and not just the education aspect, but the accommodation side as well. They're having to plan for everything from a full return to normal in September to the possibility of an all-virtual academic year, and everything in between.

The point of that little ramble being, they themselves can't plan in the way they usually would like to either, so don't worry too much at this stage.

The best advice I could give to you both if he wants to start planning ahead would be to look at the UCAS undergraduate website extremely closely. That will contain everything he needs to know about both the normal process and the disruption. The UCAS form itself is relatively straightforward, and the pandemic may only really affect the predicted/actual grades part. The thing people tend to need most help with is the personal statement, but there will be information on that too so that he can begin to get ahead now and hit the ground running when he has one-to-one teacher time again.

Thanks 139. Appreciated.

We have actually taken the bull by the horns this afternoon (hence my rant) and started looking at the UCAS site and picking a few likely places to consider. The ones we looked at are offering virtual visits this summer and still planning actual open days in the autumn so have booked them aswell. He is going to crack on with his personal statement over the summer aswell.

But you hit the nail on the head with the lack of leadership from the government and as I said I do not envy the tasks education establishment have . But after 10 weeks now I don't think its unreasonable for schools to have put some plans in place for the return of pupils . Something would be better than nothing. The best we can do is get year 1 pupils back to do some painting and year 6 to sit on the backsides because SATS are done and dusted. And there is a clear lack of consistency between state schools and each other and what they are providing and of course private schools and state schools (we know our place there of course , expected nothing less).

Thanks 139. Appreciated.

We have actually taken the bull by the horns this afternoon (hence my rant) and started looking at the UCAS site and picking a few likely places to consider. The ones we looked at are offering virtual visits this summer and still planning actual open days in the autumn so have booked them aswell. He is going to crack on with his personal statement over the summer aswell.

But you hit the nail on the head with the lack of leadership from the government and as I said I do not envy the tasks education establishment have . But after 10 weeks now I don't think its unreasonable for schools to have put some plans in place for the return of pupils . Something would be better than nothing. The best we can do is get year 1 pupils back to do some painting and year 6 to sit on the backsides because SATS are done and dusted. And there is a clear lack of consistency between state schools and each other and what they are providing and of course private schools and state schools (we know our place there of course , expected nothing less).

We visited about 15 different Uni's when Miss Sir Dennis was looking for one . If you want I can let you know which ones and if one of them matches one of yours then maybe I can help in some way.

Wham Bam Van Tam (his official title I believe) was very strong in today's briefing. Sounds to me, reading between the lines, he thinks this is being rushed. He went into a very long answer to the BBC question on the virus and R rate.

He said the viruses natural R rate is 3 and if you picture it as a coiled spring in a tin, you can open the lid slightly but you haven't uncoiled the spring, if you open the lid totally, it will still go off.

So he hopes people follow the new rules properly.

Trouble is, I don't think people understand the new rules properly and to be frank, right now, I know loads of people - some of whom are really pissing me off - not following the rules at all. They were, they have stopped, the virus hasn't stopped, so wtf?

He also banged home it doesn't take long to set this all back off at a high rate, and as we've all seen, takes a long time then to get it down rate wise.

He has also said the return of sports won't affect the R rate really, but obviously would have in full stadia.

Did Van Tam just subtly throw Cummings under the bus lol

Which part, how? Not sure I've seen .. or maybe it is yet to come as watching a recording

EDIT

Well done Van Tam. Jumped in saying he wanted to answer (unlike the nodding dogs the other day) and says The rules are for the benefit of all and in my opinion, they apply to all.

Top man.

Better than the two nodding dogs the other day.

Last edited:
Interesting question from Lisa Holland/Sky.

with lockdown now having been operating for 10 weeks how are 8000 people a day catching the virus?

I think scientists had wanted the infection rate to be around 1000 a day before the lockdown was eased btw.

Oh and for all those worried about the footballers who have covid, the question above is a perfect one, how have so many managed to catch it if they have followed the lockdown rules?!

Last edited:
Should have left them to get on with it. Fcuking idiots.

Three people have been seriously hurt at a beach on the Jurassic coast.

Dorset Police responded to reports of concern for the safety of people who were jumping off the cliff at Durdle Door into the sea at about 15:45 BST.

Two helicopters landed on the beach and those injured were taken to hospital. The extent of their injuries are not yet known.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52864454

Just to back up man love of Van Tam above, I’ve just watched the video of Van Tam saying “it is the responsibility of government to go slowly, and carefully, and to take the advice from the scientists”.

As I say, he does a fantastic job of positioning the government on live TV in front of the country, and delivers his messages extremely well. I’d love to see Boris and co try messing with him - I’d guess he holds his own around the table despite only being a “deputy”.

Most impressive person on that podium.

Coronavirus: 'Dangerous moment' as UK lockdown eases https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52863446

Last edited:

Dorset Police responded to reports of concern for the safety of people who were jumping off the cliff at Durdle Door into the sea at about 15:45 BST.

Two helicopters landed on the beach and those injured were taken to hospital. The extent of their injuries are not yet known.

Look at all those people who have had to move for the helicopter! Looks like a concert.

Well there’s another couple of hundred cases.

Arseholes. I'd have the lot of them not social distancing (so all of them) straight into my camp. They would have a struggle to be allowed back out!

Bloody hell John comes to something when you are relieved its pneumonia

They think that she (and the family) probably had it earlier in the year, The three of them were in the States for Christmas and came back in mid-January on a flight from Vegas to Heathrow and then on to Dublin. They suspect themselves that might have been when they caught it. They all got quite sick for a couple of weeks. Niall and Clara got over it but it lingered on with Linsey culminating in her becoming very unwell a few days ago and ending up in hospital. She had an MRI today which was supposed to happen yesterday. For some reason, they took her off anitbiotics in order to do the test. Being delayed for an extra day meant she started to get more unwell again! Anyway, she's back on the drugs now and there is no sign of Covid-19 in her lungs.

What are the odds that's Van Tams last gig at the daily briefing

Lucrative Good Morning Britain scientific expert role awaits, along with a Sunday Times exclusive.

I did mention last week Van Tams name about whether he would resign, as he doesn’t come across as the puppet that Jenny Harries and Chris Witty seem to have become.

The guy is smart and has morals, and is more prime minister like that the actual PM (not hard I know).