Coronavirus vaccine | Page 62 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

" I did consider contacting my doctor to query why, but thought that would actually waste more time for the NHS than just getting the jab. "

Absolutely right. More important to get it into people in numbers than to prioritize, even though prioritizing is not just an equity and individual need question.

And
Don't even think about the vaccine their ditching because they're not allowed to take all the short measures in used phials and add them together, or so it said on the news last night.

Some in the Gravesham area might be horrified that a fit and healthy young Steve Treacle has jumped the queue ;) .

TBH, I agree with Trev and Steve and feel that the general direction of travel for the roll-out is the correct one. The task in hand is huge and the current Govt is doing OK - albeit there are some twats in their midst, like Adam Holloway, MP, who say stupid unhelpful things.

" I did consider contacting my doctor to query why, but thought that would actually waste more time for the NHS than just getting the jab. "

Absolutely right. More important to get it into people in numbers than to prioritize, even though prioritizing is not just an equity and individual need question.

And
Don't even think about the vaccine their ditching because they're not allowed to take all the short measures in used phials and add them together, or so it said on the news last night.

I saw that on NBC - appx 20% of each vial thrown away. A reasonable concern. Perhaps the US Govt should lobby Pfizer to re-size the vials ? Otherwise, would folk be happy with receiving a dregs cocktail from several different opened vials ? Unhappy recipients might (subsequently, with the "help" of a lawyer) even consider such a cocktail a recipe for litigation !

Well, I had my first jab today in Ashford. I am not fully sure why I was invited for one as I am not old, ill or a keyworker, but I was happy to accept.

ST, may I ask how you were contacted? By phone or letter?

I ask because I am classed as Clinically Vulnerable (not Extremely), am a keyworker having worked through the last two lockdowns, but not over 50 (only just below tho) and haven't heard a dickie bird yet, cheers.

I saw that on NBC - appx 20% of each vial thrown away. A reasonable concern. Perhaps the US Govt should lobby Pfizer to re-size the vials ? Otherwise, would folk be happy with receiving a dregs cocktail from several different opened vials ? Unhappy recipients might (subsequently, with the "help" of a lawyer) even consider such a cocktail a recipe for litigation !
I haven't had a jab (too young) so no first hand experience, but I thought vaccinators were getting extra doses out (eg if the vial was for 6 doses, they were managing to get out 7)?

If we have bottle-checkers at wedding receptions, why can't we have vial-checkers in the surgery waiting rooms?

Well, I had my first jab today in Ashford. I am not fully sure why I was invited for one as I am not old, ill or a keyworker, but I was happy to accept. I have a couple of run-of-the-mill underlying conditions, which are very minor in my opinion, so I guess I may have somehow fallen into the extra group of 1.8 million? I did consider contacting my doctor to query why, but thought that would actually waste more time for the NHS than just getting the jab.

Have you checked they've not got you listed as 6cm tall?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-56111209

Wrong use of the word, but I can see why people would be fucked off if they’re worried about a relative of theirs who is due a vaccine and hasn’t had it, while fit and healthy people have skipped the queue ahead of them due to their job.

Personally I’m hoping everyone 50+ get the two doses before I get any, along with the 7.4 million other vulnerable people below that age. I’m happy for police and teachers to get it before me too.

The problem from this level is it becomes a free-fall. My flatmate is a teacher and isn’t particularly worried about getting it himself, though he understands it simply isn’t possible to maintain social media in his secondary school at times. He’s not demanding a jab, but also says “if we get vaccinated then shop workers and train staff will be demanding them too, along with deliveroo staff. There’s got to be a limit”

Like I say, I can understand people’s frustration if the odd ones slip through the net. Overall I can only commend the actions of the NHS and the Government in this roll-out.
No one is skipping the queue Trev, most of the bigger vaccination centres have lists of people that they contact at the end of each day if they have vaccine "left over" due to no shows. In the early days, these lists consisted of NHS staff/carers and their immediate families etc who were not in the original roll out.
Near the close of the day, the people on this list were contacted to have a left over jab to save throwing it away on the understanding that they got down to the centre that night. (Hundreds are being ditched where, in the case of the Pfizer jab,they have to be thawed out in advance for the expected numbers to turn up but they are getting dozens of no shows).
This list has now, in some areas, been extended to Police officers and teachers so many teachers will actually have had the jab before March 8th.
I'm not saying this system is right (I've not used it, The Met are being "discouraged" but Essex, for example, are being very positive) but I wonder what would "horrify" Mr Holloway and others more, a copper getting a jab or hundreds of vials of the stuff getting chucked away? I wonder I he even knows?

A couple of weeks ago at the end of a jabbing session, Guy's Hospital had run out of customers and so asked the evening staff at London Bridge station if any of them wanted to take up the opportunity of using the left over vaccine as it would only go to waste. Quite understandable the staff on duty at the time took them up on their offer. Surely only a good and sensible use of resources :thumbup:

ST, may I ask how you were contacted? By phone or letter?

I ask because I am classed as Clinically Vulnerable (not Extremely), am a keyworker having worked through the last two lockdowns, but not over 50 (only just below tho) and haven't heard a dickie bird yet, cheers.

I got a text from my surgery. I am signed up for online appointment bookings and prescriptions etc, so knew that the text was genuine. I was surprised, but as I say, pleased and thought it less hassle for everyone just to get the jab, which took a minute rather than query it. Good luck with getting it. Probably worth contacting the NHS, although I believe there is a central number you can contact about Covid jabs, which someone may be able to share.

I haven't had a jab (too young) so no first hand experience, but I thought vaccinators were getting extra doses out (eg if the vial was for 6 doses, they were managing to get out 7)?

I understand that in the U.S. (maybe here too, i don`t know) the Pfizer vials have 5 doses but there is usually a residue amount still in the vial after the fifth. It seems that the residue is usually insufficient in itself for a dose, so there is concern as to the efficacy of combining residue amounts from numerous vials to form usable complete doses.

It`ll all come out in the wash, so to speak - eventually !

I understand that in the U.S. (maybe here too, i don`t know) the Pfizer vials have 5 doses but there is usually a residue amount still in the vial after the fifth. It seems that the residue is usually insufficient in itself for a dose, so there is concern as to the efficacy of combining residue amounts from numerous vials to form usable complete doses.

It`ll all come out in the wash, so to speak - eventually !

there is also a potential issue with batch traceability. All medicines are tracked by batch/lot through all stages of manufacture and distribution
Potentially mixing vial content could break the linkage and therefore traceability. Also batches can have a different potency level and you cannot guarantee that level if mixing batches.

this is all done to protect patients especially in a recall situation. It is not waste, the only reason for the extra vaccine in the vial is to ensure against leakage loss etc. People would soon complain in the event of any problems.

nitram - please add or correct.

No one is skipping the queue Trev, most of the bigger vaccination centres have lists of people that they contact at the end of each day if they have vaccine "left over" due to no shows. In the early days, these lists consisted of NHS staff/carers and their immediate families etc who were not in the original roll out.
Near the close of the day, the people on this list were contacted to have a left over jab to save throwing it away on the understanding that they got down to the centre that night. (Hundreds are being ditched where, in the case of the Pfizer jab,they have to be thawed out in advance for the expected numbers to turn up but they are getting dozens of no shows).
This list has now, in some areas, been extended to Police officers and teachers so many teachers will actually have had the jab before March 8th.
I'm not saying this system is right (I've not used it, The Met are being "discouraged" but Essex, for example, are being very positive) but I wonder what would "horrify" Mr Holloway and others more, a copper getting a jab or hundreds of vials of the stuff getting chucked away? I wonder I he even knows?

Making sure every shot in every vial is used is not just efficient it is absolute common sense.
amazing how many of the media want to even make the good things an issue.

there is also a potential issue with batch traceability. All medicines are tracked by batch/lot through all stages of manufacture and distribution
Potentially mixing vial content could break the linkage and therefore traceability. Also batches can have a different potency level and you cannot guarantee that level if mixing batches.

this is all done to protect patients especially in a recall situation. It is not waste, the only reason for the extra vaccine in the vial is to ensure against leakage loss etc. People would soon complain in the event of any problems.

nitram - please add or correct.

15 years out of the game but that was how it used to be.

Making sure every shot in every vial is used is not just efficient it is absolute common sense.
amazing how many of the media want to even make the good things an issue.
Especially when many whole vials are going to waste. I hear unconfirmed reports that in some London boroughs, there are hundreds of these "no shows" every day. If that is all being thrown away, it's nothing short of criminal so surely anyone taking them makes, as you say, pure common sense?
Thing is, they have to make them all available just in case everyone does decide to turn up.
Incidentally, not sure where I read it now but loads of Germans are refusing the Oxford AZ vaccine because it's British/Non EU 😳

Especially when many whole vials are going to waste. I hear unconfirmed reports that in some London boroughs, there are hundreds of these "no shows" every day. If that is all being thrown away, it's nothing short of criminal so surely anyone taking them makes, as you say, pure common sense?
Thing is, they have to make them all available just in case everyone does decide to turn up.
Incidentally, not sure where I read it now but loads of Germans are refusing the Oxford AZ vaccine because it's British/Non EU 😳

I'm not sure those are the only reason Germans have refused the Oxford AZ vaccine Nobby. It was early messaging from above casting doubt on its efficacy and appropriateness for all age groups that caused this. Ironic that the message from above is now doubling down that it is good and that individuals must accept it or go without. I fancy the German public would have taken a Spitfire Battle of Britain vaccine if convinced it worked.

That's concerning about take up in London but a spokesperson on Radio 4 this morning stating take up of 95% where local GP surgeries contact people directly and offer vaccination locally. We are almost certainly going to have to go door to door for some localities. I really don't think we have the comprehensive and accurate databases that some believe. I know several poeople who have profited from a call to be vaccinated within half an hour, good thing.

A friend recently had his second vaccine and was very pleased. Unfortunately, when he was driving home he found that his vision was very blurred, to the point of being dangerous. When he got home he phoned the vaccine centre and was told that he should go back there as soon as possible and collect his glasses...

Last edited:
We are almost certainly going to have to go door to door for some localities.

Will be interesting to see how the door to door things works if they do it. Remember reading not long ago about someone scamming an elderly lady by knocking on her door, offering her the vaccine for £150. She agreed, who knows what he actually injected her with.

It's certainly something they'll have to keep a very close eye on to ensure no-one tries to take advantage of the elderly and vulnerable in that way.

Will be interesting to see how the door to door things works if they do it. Remember reading not long ago about someone scamming an elderly lady by knocking on her door, offering her the vaccine for £150. She agreed, who knows what he actually injected her with.

It's certainly something they'll have to keep a very close eye on to ensure no-one tries to take advantage of the elderly and vulnerable in that way.
Yes, perfect for low life scammer scum. What a shame.