Coronavirus vaccine | Page 26 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

When I had a flu jab, the surgery gave me a very specific time to be there.
I entered the building to the second and was done and out thirty seconds later.
I’m assuming a similar system for the covid jab.
It really was impressive.
I suppose the wheels come off if people are late.

You
When I had a flu jab, the surgery gave me a very specific time to be there.
I entered the building to the second and was done and out thirty seconds later.
I’m assuming a similar system for the covid jab.
It really was impressive.
I suppose the wheels come off if people are late.

You and I and all the pro flu jabbers are literally the easiest group to contact, gather, record and vaccinate shotshy. After that it gets progressively more difficult to even find the people you want to vaccinate. Years ago do the local industry, dockyard, council and you'd blagged a good percentage. People were where you expected them to be, they were more compliant and less questioning and we had a long record of getting things done. It's not pessimistic to point out that this is a much more complex task and bigger by far than anything we have done in living memory.

I give up if people are still trying to play down the actual virus. I'm not cautious by nature, I'm not frightened but the infection figures are mad and growing. Listen to what real people on the fromntline in hospitals are saying. We need to get a grip and fast. In the medium to long term it's not going away either so we need some more distant planning too. Last para not aimed at you.

Johnson showing off about how we've done more vaccinations than the rest of Europe. We started on 6th Dec (good), the EU on about 27th Dec (not as good as us).

However, give it a couple of weeks and who do you think will have done the most? For example, us with a 3 week head start or Germany?

If Corals was open I know which country I'd put my money on, sadly.

Virus starting to sweep through Westminster police now. Tbh I'm surprised it didn't earlier. Staff now doing overtime to fill gaps in other teams so even greater risk of it spreading.

Need frontline staff like NHS, Paramedics, Police, transport workers etc vaccinated before old gits like me. They can't avoid contact with others. I can.

Edit: add teachers to the above list if they are expected to keep schools open.

I heard today that a quarter of hospitalised Covid patients are below 53 years old. The young are becoming more vulnerable and youths seem to be super spreaders (even if not in high danger themselves). We could do with a change in the direction of campaigning away from the impression that only the ancient are at risk.

Last edited:
For the last 2 or 3 weeks schools have been closed, so it stands to reason that infection rates should be very low.????
That didn't work so well then.
That is so dumb Nitram, unless of course you know better than multiple health experts.

I can't be bothered atm to explain the simple reasons why you are so wrong. Perhaps someone else on thos board has the energy.

No, gave up with Nitram and his apologist posts some time ago.

It seems whatever Johnson does he cannot possibly be wrong.

Quite right Rotherhithe, in the same way I despair at your Posts where he can never be right, in common with Starmer you put party above country.
I was thinking it was a whoosh, I'd been had and would have to eat humble pie for being too dumb to spot it. It appears you meant it.

Omg.

Or is it a double whoosh?

Ps. Ludicrous comment about Starmer putting party above country.

They deserve to be called out aswell when blatantly breaking restrictions, anyone see the three Spurs and West Ham player celebrating Christmas together? 18 of them ffs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....-covid-regulations-at-christmas-13837031/amp/
Thing is, no matter who's in charge, the only two things that can beat a pandemic (according to scientists) are a vaccine and social distancing.
We are living in a world where a growing percentage of society refuse to behave in a correct and respectful way, even in a (near as damn it) lockdown so that just leaves the vaccine. The whole thing appears to be hanging on that. I've read reports that we should soon be up to 2-3 million shots a week so three or four months should see the whole over 18 population done.

We live in hope.

Edit, sorry if this post is too positive.

Last edited:
The whole thing appears to be hanging on that. I've read reports that we should soon be up to 3-4million shots a week so three months should see the whole over 18 population done.

We live in hope.

Edit, sorry if this post is too positive.

It is too positive, sorry! only 76% people in the UK say they would take a vaccine, reducing to just 57% from the BAME community

It is too positive, sorry! only 76% people in the UK say they would take a vaccine, reducing to just 57% from the BAME community

I predict now that within the next 6 months if statistics show that only 57% of black people took the vaccine compared with 76% of white people then David Lammy (with retweeting by Diane Abbott) will be accuse the government of systematic racism.

Here's the thing, I'm dismissive of the anti-vacc conspiracy loons who reckon Bill Gates is trying to inject everybody with a microchip that can be controlled by 5G (have you heard Ian Brown's song, 'Little Seed, Big Tree'? - check it out!) but, as often seems to be the way with conspiracy theorists, they do raise some interesting questions.

I think that there are a lot of people who will be reticent about having the vaccine. Of course, some of these people are going to be confirmed conspiracy theorists (or what is it they prefer to call themselves, is it, 'truth seekers'?!) but I have a feeling that there are a great many more who, like myself, don't believe the conspiracy theories but equally, don't necessarily trust the government and/or the science.

We are told that this is a completely new type of vaccine, one that has never been used before. This is possibly a cause for concern. Howver, I reckon that when the old-type vaccine was first ever used (was it against smallpox?, I don't know) there were probably people worried about that. Turns out they were wrong, and the vaccine(s) were a good thing for humanity.

On the other hand, medical science hasn't always got it right, and there have been some spectacularly horrific fuck ups (promotion of smoking tobacco, thalidamide, etc).

Another reason that somebody might be reticent about taking the vaccine is because it has been developed so quickly. One might think it is a fantastic achievement of humanity and the scientific community to have developed a vaccine so quickly; another might question just how they have managed to achieve this so quickly, in a record space of time?

Perhaps the most obvious reason someone might be reticent to have the vaccine is that simple notion of, "I'd rather wait near the back of the queue and see what happens to those at the front of the queue before I have the vaccine; they can be the guinea pigs, not me, thank you very much."

Now I'm not saying that any of these positions or questions/doubts are substantiated, only that I think they probably exist in the minds of lots of people. What other reasons are there for the figures 3x6 posts being so low? (This is a genuine rather than rhetorical question!)

One question I have, which may be a really simple and stupid question, and I'd love to be answered is why does everybody have to have the vaccine? If most people can survive the virus without the vaccine and with the use of their own immune system, why do they need to have the jab? The flu virus is here every year and every year the elderly and the vulnerable are offered a jab. Why is this different? Why isn't it enough for just the eldery and vulnerable to have this vaccination whilst the fit, healthy and young build up their own immunity?

As I said, I realise that might be a stupid question and I hope there's somebody on here who can explain it to me.

And I think that this should be a general approach. People's genuine questions and fears shoudn't be just dismissed as, 'dangerous conspiracy theories', they should be properly explained. There is dangerous dis- and mis-information out there and the way to couter that is with complete transparency and an engagement with doubts and worries that some people may have about taking the vaccine.

As I said at the top, I'm no anti-vaxxer and it seems to me that vaccination appears to be the only way out of this shit that we've all been enduring for months, and will continue to endure for many more months. But my instinctive lack of trust of governments etc., means I am cautious about being forced into taking this vaccine. The government have said that nobody will be forced to take it but I'm pretty sure that in time it will become necessary to have had the vaccine if you want to travel or, for instance, have access to the NHS. I have little doubt that although one might have the freedom to not particpate in the mass vaccination, exercising that freedom will in effect greatly limit one's freedom.

That very idea is, to me, a little frightening. The idea that we're all so desperate to return to, 'normality', that most people are more than ready to have the jab without question, AND that those who do question it aren't given answers they're simply given the option to not participate (and by doing so waive their right to particiapte fully in society).

If there is nothing to fear, why can't the questions (no matter how stupid) be answered clearly and the conspiracy theories (no matter how bizarre) be properly debunked? If they were then shirley the percentage of people happy and willing to take the vaccination would be much closer to 100% than it currently is...

Last edited:
I take those "statistics" with a large pinch of salt and don't see them as a reason to start judging and blaming before the event still less going on to imagine the reaction of Diane Abbott. If we have the slightest suspicion that there is more reluctance in some communities then we should be engaging with them in every way we can to explain and reassure. The basics of a vaccination programme have always involved just such an approach in the past. Practical action to prepare the ground is surely the first and most obvious step.

BAME (ugh) communities are by no means the hardest to reach and vaccinate and much can be done through places of worship and association. They will be much easier to win round than the lost, the lonely, the itinerant, the poorly educated, the vulnerable and the troubled. If I do want to allow myself some righteous indignation then I'm aiming at those with all my advantages of education, time, comfort and access to reliable information and advice, who think it clever to oppose vaccination.