Coronavirus vaccine | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

Pfizer Coronavirus vaccine 90% effective in phase trials!! Great news!!

Possibly jabs going out before Christmas - BBC News.
This is very good news, however my understanding is that approval for general use won't happen before Easter
Also you must consider that the 10% failure rate equates to 6.8 million people unprotected, because people think they will be safe will they still wear masks and socially distance.

:sorry:

You don't need 100% of your population to be vaccinated to essentially get rid of a virus. It all depends on the contagiousness of the virus being vaccinated. It's about having enough to break chains of transmission and drop the R number so the virus fizzles out.

Plus I think the current plan is to utilise multiple vaccines rather than do the whole country with one.

You don't need 100% of your population to be vaccinated to essentially get rid of a virus. It all depends on the contagiousness of the virus being vaccinated. It's about having enough to break chains of transmission and drop the R number so the virus fizzles out.

Plus I think the current plan is to utilise multiple vaccines rather than do the whole country with one.
I spent my entire working life in the Pharmaceutical industry so know exactly how a virus and a vaccine work, I was just trying to stop people getting over excited too quickly.

I spent my entire working life in the Pharmaceutical industry so know exactly how a virus and a vaccine work, I was just trying to stop people getting over excited too quickly.
Hope it didn't come across as saying you were wrong - was just commenting as it's the anti-vaxxer loons on Facebook that will take lines like "6.8 million people unprotected" and run with it so wanted to comment about it (y)

I do agree it's not the be all and end all yet. We've got a while to go yet where we need to keep doing what we're doing.

Hope it didn't come across as saying you were wrong - was just commenting as it's the anti-vaxxer loons on Facebook that will take lines like "6.8 million people unprotected" and run with it so wanted to comment about it (y)
I'm certainly not anti-vaccine, but there are too many people who are already ignoring common sense precautions, let them think it's all over and there will be no stopping them.

The Government are talking about starting vaccinations before Christmas,
the Health Department have ordered over 30m injections already and have issued a list of priority groups. Starting with over 80's and care homes, then over 80's not in 'captivity' down to number 10 on the list people over 50. No.11 the rest of the population, priority to be determined,

We have got to remember that the lockdown and all isolation methods are not in place to stop 'ANYONE' from getting the virus. It's all purely to avoid too many people getting it at the same time, and as such the NHS is overloaded and lives are lost purely because of lack of available care/attention.

Ultimately we're all isolating etc to help out those who are most vulnerable, to avoid spreading it to them.

If a vaccine that works is found, then it will be given to the most vulnerable first. Say the 5m eldest/most at risk people in the country. If they are much less likely to get it (i.e. 10% of people only) then thats a huge positive impact on the NHS, and ultimately i would expect things to go almost entirely back to normal. It would be not much different to the common cold influenza IMO.

Of course it's a matter of getting the vaccine out to X million people which will be the stumbling block. Likewise, lets hope it's not mutating/evolving into a different strain that this vaccine can't protect against.

This is very good news, however my understanding is that approval for general use won't happen before Easter
Where's that understanding come from?

The BBC article I see is that they are looking for emergency approval to use it by the end of the month. I.e. it will be used from December onwards, as supplies allow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

Key parts of the article are as follows:

"The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month."

"Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021."

"The UK should get 10 million doses by the end of the year, with a further 30 million doses already ordered."

So our 10m most vulnerable people getting it in December and January. Meaning the rest of us will be able to stat enjoying our lives again without the risk/worry of spreading it to those vulnerable people.

If the vaccine is successful, by end of Jan we could be looking to be starting to get back to normal IMO.

A lot of if's buts and maybe's of course...

Interestingly enough re Covid vaccines - there are at least three different ones in the UK alone (Pfister, Oxford Uni & Imperial College, that I've heard of) & for members of this forum living abroad, each country is, perhaps, working on their own or expecting to buy elsewhere.

Good news but hope we don't go overboard, chuck away what we have etc. More good news from the Imperial trial which may be bigger news medium term and could give UK a lead in an important new area

Interestingly enough re Covid vaccines - there are at least three different ones in the UK alone (Pfister, Oxford Uni & Imperial College, that I've heard of) & for members of this forum living abroad, each country is, perhaps, working on their own or expecting to buy elsewhere.
Perhaps OSK could confirm if the Aussies are directly injecting Fosters, which is akin to the disinfectent the former President of the US speculated on. Guaranteed to kill 99% of germs.

On page 6 of the second lockdown thread I suggested this a week or so ago and was told never, and won’t hold my breath.
Great news. Delighted if I'm proven wrong. We've had so many overoptimistic projections from this government (eg 100% next day test results by the end of June) and failure to roll things out efficiently.

Will they #### this up as well? As it is from a "proper" pharmaceutical company then there's a good chance it's real. Just hope the government deliver it effectively. Let's hope they don't give another contract to one of their party donor's firms.

Like Lancs I fear the growing anti vax cult but believe there are enough sensible people left to cover enough of the population.