Coronavirus vaccine | Page 2 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

"The UK should get 10 million doses by the end of the year, with a further 30 million doses already ordered."

So our 10m most vulnerable people getting it in December and January. Meaning the rest of us will be able to stat enjoying our lives again without the risk/worry of spreading it to those vulnerable people.

2 doses are needed per person, so it'll be the 5m most vulnerable rather than 10m, won't it? Not that that should in any way detract from the general optimism, but worth bearing in mind that the number of doses isn't the same as the number of people that can be vaccinated.

I predict that the anti vaxxers will get way more coverage than they deserve but that Nobby's prediction will reduce their numbers significantly. Make vaccination a requirement for all foreign travel and only the most determined loonies will hold out. A couple of anti vaxxers in my family, who refuse childhood vaccination, travel all over and I don't see them staying home.

The Vaccine has to be stored at -75C to -80C which is much colder than most other vaccines and could lead to issues when rolling it out.

I predict that the anti vaxxers will get way more coverage than they deserve but that Nobby's prediction will reduce their numbers significantly. Make vaccination a requirement for all foreign travel and only the most determined loonies will hold out. A couple of anti vaxxers in my family, who refuse childhood vaccination, travel all over and I don't see them staying home.
Your last point is interesting and could leave them with quite a moral dilemma, do they travel to any (i know there aren't many left) countries where a malaria vaccination is required?
There may be other circumstances where the vaccine is required as a "condition of entry" like theatres, football stadia etc, even jobs (?). I know this sounds like an infringement on human rights and probably isn't legal (yet) but suggestion of most of the covid legislation in place now would have been laughed at only 12 short months ago.
People talk of this "new normal" but it sounds quite flippant when you sit and think of what that "normal" could eventually entail.

Your last point is interesting and could leave them with quite a moral dilemma, do they travel to any (i know there aren't many left) countries where a malaria vaccination is required?
There may be other circumstances where the vaccine is required as a "condition of entry" like theatres, football stadia etc, even jobs (?). I know this sounds like an infringement on human rights and probably isn't legal (yet) but suggestion of most of the covid legislation in place now would have been laughed at only 12 short months ago.
People talk of this "new normal" but it sounds quite flippant when you sit and think of what that "normal" could eventually entail.
Good points Nobby. To me the major human right is not to be killed by someone else. A vaccine and/or restrictions such as we have now are a small price to pay for a long term solution/safety. It's a matter of balancing "freedoms".

I have a family member who doesn't believe we should wear seat belts and there should be no speed limits on roads (Libertarian nutter). Mercifully they have to obey these rules.

Finally got an encouraging press conference from Johnson in as much as it wasn't full of bluster, bs and over optimistic promises and predictions. Reasonable optimism with sensible caveats. May well have been telling the truth too as it wasn't full of "ums" and "errs".

Keeping and transporting the vaccine appears to be a major problem as others have pointed out. If the job is given to the usual suspects (eg SERCO, Group4 et al) then we're f#####

I think they should ditch the age related roll out order for a Ticketmaster type concert system.
9am Thursday, vaccine goes on sale and we're all sitting in front of our laptops at 8.50am hoping to get in a queue.
Either that or we all camp outside a department store the night before for it.

I have an app, so always get tickets on Ticketmaster, to things I don't want to be at... Hmmm lol

My other half works in pharmacy under the NHS and although they might be in a position to be vaccinated under the original batch they insist they will refuse any offer of a vaccine until at least the 2nd or 3rd batch.

From a clinical trials perspective, the people who will be vaccinated with the first batch of vaccines will effectively be the final round of guinea pigs when allowing for the speed the research has gone through.

Like Lancs I fear the growing anti vax cult but believe there are enough sensible people left to cover enough of the population.

If you mean me, 58, I don`t recall saying anything about the cult ? Or were you just missing a punctuation mark and expressing a by-the-by "Like" ;)

I do share your interest in how the NHS plans to overcome logistical issues re temperature control of the vaccine.

I was at a clinical trials centre last week (re a non Covid matter) and declined participation in a (USA) Covid-19 vaccine trial. One of the reasons was that i`d have been anchored to it for almost a year, which would have compromised any interim breakthrough. I`m all for a vaccine, it`s the only direction to travel out of this mess.

On my good days I try reading interesting material I tend to forget the content, and can’t spell , back on august the third , I read ,pretty sure in the Pledge magazine that this vaccine was very close but there was concern over the temperature,they had to be kept at , there would be first vaccine followed by second around 28 days later , I put it on this site on COVID 19 page, my point is as someone suggested this is a new vaccine , its not has been about for few months,

On my good days I try reading interesting material I tend to forget the content, and can’t spell , back on august the third , I read ,pretty sure in the Pledge magazine that this vaccine was very close but there was concern over the temperature,they had to be kept at , there would be first vaccine followed by second around 28 days later , I put it on this site on COVID 19 page, my point is as someone suggested this is a new vaccine , its not has been about for few months,
There is such a thing as testing to see if it is safe.It is possible they had it then but it had not been fully tested .Even producing it now is amazingly quick.

Not sure if it was one of my funny dreams but I'm sure I read a few months ago that this vaccine was based heavily on the vaccine for something else (Ebola?) and that this was just a "tweaked" version of that.
If so, would that greatly reduce the production and testing times?
No idea of how these things work but to a layman, it sort of makes sense.

Not sure if it was one of my funny dreams but I'm sure I read a few months ago that this vaccine was based heavily on the vaccine for something else (Ebola?) and that this was just a "tweaked" version of that.
If so, would that greatly reduce the production and testing times?
No idea of how these things work but to a layman, it sort of makes sense.
Think it was the Oxford vaccine (tho the 2 are apparently similar). It's basically a sars vaccine from about 15 years ago