Coronavirus tipping point | Page 34 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

On what basis are you claiming that I don't understand numbers? Where have I shown in the post that I made that I don't understand numbers?

This is your worst effort ever.

Are you Robbie Savage in disguise?

If you want to understand numbers then read "The Tiger That Isn't" by Andrew Dilnott.

I despair of you sometimes. You really don't understand what you copy and paste.
Oh dear.
Please would you be kind enough to re-read your post and my reply.
Hopefully you will see that the 'numbers' comment referred to the 'media'.

(Or please show how my 'numbers' remark could have referred to you.)

There is a danger that distributing equipment on a first come first served basis could mean shortages in the wrong place later. You're using the term stockpile to mean hoarding, ie hoarding at the expense of others, rather than a sensible approach for best use. Within the EU, we would have been part of that scheme; now we've left we have to compete with those with much bigger bargains power - EU and USA
I did not say 'hoarding'.
Yet again you mis-attribute an emotive term in an attempt to deflect.

Then ask why only you and not the opposition as a whole oppose the open-ended nature of the Bill
It seems that you did not see MPs on both sides of the Chamber challenging the 2 years for Emergency Powers.
Conservative David Davis for one - and several Labour MPs.

Oh dear.
Please would you be kind enough to re-read your post and my reply.
Hopefully you will see that the 'numbers' comment referred to the 'media'.

(Or please show how my 'numbers' remark could have referred to you.)
In that case your quoting my post and making your point was senseless. How does my post relate to your point about the media misinterpreting statistics? What has leftie luvvies got to do with anything? Do lefty luvvies have less underastanding of statistics than, say, right wing media such as the DM?

A bit wierd and desperate. Are you related to Baghdad?

Last edited:
It is the case yes.
Antibiotics tackle infections , where immunity to a virus can only be controlled by exposure , thus forming anti-bodies.
A vaccine is a 'controlled exposure'.
Antibiotics tackle bacteria - I was wrong with this type of pneumonia, which is viral as opposed to bacterial pnuemonia

Maybe you could just wind in the criticism of our government for a while and see how it all ultimately pan out.
It’s not a pissing contest.
When it’s subsided, then everyone can analyse the results and hopefully best practice will emerge.

I rather liked Wayne's earlier point that Boris was an authoritarian, they suggesting he could have introduced a bill that had to be renewed.
Hardly authoritarian is it?
Incidentally he's also complaining about Trump and his approach. I understand anybody who has the virus can get over it within a few weeks. Is this not Trump's understanding of the approach to be made? i.e. The sooner everybody gets it, the sooner it is all over, but keep people in isolation and away from it and months down the line when they come into social life again, they will get it and pass it on. i.e. the UK's approach is to drag it out for eternity!!!

Nobody actually knows.

It will all come out in time.
What is starting to piddle me off is the news media.

So, the government announced something yesterday and today they are reporting that it’s not happened yet .

Jesus Christ 🤨

In that case your quoting my post and making your point was senseless. How does my post relate to your point about the media misinterpreting statistics? What has leftie luvvies got to do with anything? Do lefty luvvies have less underastanding of statistics than, say, right wing media such as the DM?

A bit wierd and desperate. Are you related to Baghdad?
Still don't believe that media presenters don't understand numbers ?

5 minutes ago, on SKY News, Adam Boulton said:
'The USA has overtaken China as the epicentre of Coronavirus'

This based on the absolute number of Americans testing positive.
No mention of the US population being over 300 million.

Isn't virus per head relevant ?

I could be wrong, but surely Spain is the current 'epicentre' ?

The sooner everybody gets it, the sooner it is all over, but keep people in isolation and away from it and months down the line when they come into social life again, they will get it and pass it on. i.e. the UK's approach is to drag it out for eternity!!!
That approach is OK as long as people only show mild symptoms - get hit hard and the NHS is overwhelmed

The Govt approach is to try and keep the peak down so the NHS can cope but it's likely to mean a prolonged period of contagion

That approach is OK as long as people only show mild symptoms - get hit hard and the NHS is overwhelmed

The Govt approach is to try and keep the peak down so the NHS can cope but it's likely to mean a prolonged period of contagion

I appreciate our approach Wayne.

I was merely laughing at DJT.

I won't claim a whoosh, because you are always so serious you never would recognise one.

So let’s get this right.
You think that the government approach is correct?
Yes - once they reversed the herding concept. I'm not really sure they could do much more; if they could I'm sure the opposition would have been far more vocal. Yes there are things to be sorted no doubt and there are shortages but that's understandable. Plus, there are too many people abusing Govt. advice on staying at home etc; so it's likely we'll see a crackdown in the coming days.

I also think the current approach is sensible and don’t feel it was too late in implementation. We were kept our freedoms/economy running as much as possible for as long as possible. Testing only those in hospital with severe symptoms and/or high stops the risk of every man and his dog descending on the GPs and A&E. Compare to other places with widespread testing like UAE which led to huge waiting times and those who had it weren’t picked up quick enough.

Current projections as below is moderately comforting given the circumstances in other countries, though not that it’s comforting to those who have lost loved ones already.

4FCEEC42-B285-4F34-8135-DF6E620194FC.jpeg

Yes - once they reversed the herding concept..
You really are a hypocrite. You challenge people to justify a remark - yet refuse to provide evidence that the Govt had a "policy" of "herd immunity".

I really shouldn't have to waste MY time countering YOUR nonsense...but I have. So here goes with some evidence against a supposed herd immunity "policy".

On This Morning on 5th March, talking to Philip Schofield, what Boris said spawned a host of mis-informed claims that Boris and Co were content with a high death rate.

e.g. One commentator said:
Boris Johnson said we should take the coronavirus ‘on the chin’ and count on ‘herd-immunity’.

Except Boris did not say “should” - so the commentator invented a “policy”.
Neither was BJ the first to mention the concept of "herd immunity". That was a couple of scientists. David Halpern and Patrick Vallance

So places like the Guardian had several field days writing about this strawman, invented “policy”.

Boris:
Well it’s a very, very important question, and that’s where a lot of the debate has been and one of the theories is, that perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures.
I think we need to strike a balance, I think it is very important, we’ve got a fantastic NHS, we will give them all the support that they need, we will make sure that they have all preparations, all the kit that they need for us to get through it.
But I think it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now to stop the peak of the disease being as difficult for the NHS as it might be
, I think there are things that we may be able to do”.

Doesn’t the bit in bold mean the opposite of actively pursuing "herd immunity” (which BJ hadn't mentioned on 5th March) ????

On 11th March Behavioural Scientist Dr David Halpern told the BBC
There is going to be a point, assuming that the epidemic flows and grows, as we think it probably will do, where ....., you’ll want to protect those at risk groups, so they basically don’t catch the disease, ....
.....and by the time they come out of their cocooning, herd immunity has been achieved in the rest of the population."

This is no more than describing a natural phenomenon - that seems likely to occur - absent a vaccine ...... while protecting the vulnerable.

Yet this spawned more speculative, critical articles - whether mis-informed or mischievous is an educated guess.

Yup, because unfortunately a sizeable portion of the country are idiots.

If they were only going to do harm to themselves, I wouldn't care, and put it up to Darwinism, but in this situation... fucking morons
Not sure that a "sizeable proportion of the country" are idiots.
Is it perhaps a few thousand, mostly in high density central London - where much of the media lives ?

In our outer London suburb, traffic has been much lighter.
Few shops have had long queues.
Most of the people my wife and I know are working from home....
Many more people are walking or cycling - in quiet suburban roads.

Only builders seem to be continuing - which being mostly outside, wearing gloves and usually at a safe distance - seems very low risk.

Was it wise for Mayor Khan to reduce Tube frequency - so crowding travellers on to fewer trains ?