Coronavirus tipping point | Page 3 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

Good to hear, Whistable. Would be nice if that was the norm, it isn`t.
I am not disputing that things could not be better but some time ago I read an article by Polly Toynbee in the Guardian I believe when she said, "Bad NHS stories are a staple diet of the media, second only to crime.
You rarely hear about the successes, the number of people whose lives they save the treatment and care they receive, but if something goes wrong then we do hear about it.
Before Blair and during his term in office there were patients in corridors, yes he got waiting times down, increased managers and set standards but even under Blair who ploughed extra millions into the service, the general public and NHS staff were still not satisfied.

I am not disputing that things could not be better but some time ago I read an article by Polly Toynbee in the Guardian I believe when she said, "Bad NHS stories are a staple diet of the media, second only to crime.
You rarely hear about the successes, the number of people whose lives they save the treatment and care they receive, but if something goes wrong then we do hear about it.
Before Blair and during his term in office there were patients in corridors, yes he got waiting times down, increased managers and set standards but even under Blair who ploughed extra millions into the service, the general public and NHS staff were still not satisfied.
Because undoing the Thatcher years etc was a major task and I doubt Blair had caught up.

I can't remember the figure tbh but believe rates of satisfaction towards the end of Blair's reign were very high.

You

Your complacency is as bad as the Government spokespersons' ! Still, as long as it only kills 1% of those infected and a lot more elderly it's nothing to worry about, because as long as it's not as bad as Spanish flu that's OK
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Not complacency but rather an acknowledgement that this is not armageddon and in terms of mortality there are bigger things out there to worry about.

I see France have banned public gatherings of more than 5,000 people. Shouldn’t affect our home games if we take a similar approach in the UK though imagine we’ll go out of our way (and against better judgement) to take a different approach to our friends in the EU.

Not complacency but rather an acknowledgement that this is not armageddon and in terms of mortality there are bigger things out there to worry about.

Worry you may but can you prevent them. I'm not sure why we bother with flu vaccines when all the money could be put towards researching bigger killers like cancers and heart and circularotary diseases instead.

Worry you may but can you prevent them. I'm not sure why we bother with flu vaccines when all the money could be put towards researching bigger killers like cancers and heart and circularotary diseases instead.
We bother with flu vaccines because of prevention, which is not in doubt, in order to free up resources to deal with issues you raised

You could argue that the planet will benefit from a reduced population. in 1951 an adult male would have a life expectancy of 66.4 and a woman 71.5, by 2011 that had increased to 79 for a male and 82.8 for a female.
Whilst no one wants to see loved ones taken away, a disease that targets the weak and infirm might help save the planet.

before I get too much grief I should say, I am one of the old and infirm.

You could argue that the planet will benefit from a reduced population. in 1951 an adult male would have a life expectancy of 66.4 and a woman 71.5, by 2011 that had increased to 79 for a male and 82.8 for a female.
Whilst no one wants to see loved ones taken away, a disease that targets the weak and infirm might help save the planet.

before I get too much grief I should say, I am one of the old and infirm.

If we want to looks at the bigger picture of this planets sustainability then the human population must be reduced. I think Mother nature is trying to do that. The human species is so resourceful that it finds ways to defeat viruses and it will defeat this one. Mother nature will then need to release another one and the cycle will continue.

The utopia TV drama played on this storyline with a government manufactured virus to reduce the human population. Not suggesting this is manufactured at all BUT if we want a sustainable planet the impact of human activity will have to reduced.

That's no comfort to those who lose loved ones but if you look at the bigger picture it would be no bad thing.

If we want to looks at the bigger picture of this planets sustainability then the human population must be reduced. I think Mother nature is trying to do that. The human species is so resourceful that it finds ways to defeat viruses and it will defeat this one. Mother nature will then need to release another one and the cycle will continue.

The utopia TV drama played on this storyline with a government manufactured virus to reduce the human population. Not suggesting this is manufactured at all BUT if we want a sustainable planet the impact of human activity will have to reduced.

That's no comfort to those who lose loved ones but if you look at the bigger picture it would be no bad thing.

Funnily enough the bbc had an article yesterday showing how much pollution had reduced in China due to the economic slowdown caused by Coronavirus.

The obvious conclusion is that we need to develop environmentally friendly bombs and take out the Chinese. Or contaminate their fish.

Because most illness targets the weaker members of any group, interfering with that will cause a weaker gene pool going forward, that in turn will help to resolve the problem.

Funnily enough the bbc had an article yesterday showing how much pollution had reduced in China due to the economic slowdown caused by Coronavirus.

The obvious conclusion is that we need to develop environmentally friendly bombs and take out the Chinese. Or contaminate their fish.

Mother nature has amazing powers of recovery. If Humans disappeared (or were severely reduced in number) then the planet would recover in a few generations. Most creatures on this planet have predators and ultimately that keeps everything in balance, too many of one species reduce the resources they need (prey) and the number of that species dies back to keep it all in balance. We have no natural predators - other than arguably viruses.

Not surprised that the pollution figures were reduced at all. Just illustrates how quickly things CAN be put back in balance but not with the ever growing numbers of humans of the planet.

The human species is so resourceful that it finds ways to defeat viruses and it will defeat this one
Quite true but they haven't found anything to cure this latest coronavirus. Doctors associate them with common colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, and SARS but, so far, a cure for covid-19 is eluding them. While perhaps not as deadly as flu, it seems far more contagious.

Quite true but they haven't found anything to cure this latest coronavirus. Doctors associate them with common colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, and SARS but, so far, a cure for covid-19 is eluding them. While perhaps not as deadly as flu, it seems far more contagious.

We don't actually have a cure for most (all) of those illnesses mentioned and treatment is focused on treating the various symptons rather than the underlying illness itself. In terms of viruses, it is about keeping the symptons from killing the patient while the body comes up with the correct antibodies.

I wouldn't expect there to be a cure developed for 2019-nCov in the same way we haven't come up with a cure for SARS, MERS and the other half a dozen coronavirus that effects humans.

Time will tell if it is more deadly than flu.

A doctor at The WHO stated some time ago that it normally takes up to two years to find a cure for these viruses so don't expect to see one in the near future. Prevention is better than cure.
Co op have hand sanitizer back in stock, just saying 😉

A doctor at The WHO stated some time ago that it normally takes up to two years to find a cure for these viruses so don't expect to see one in the near future. Prevention is better than cure.
Co op have hand sanitizer back in stock, just saying 😉

I had to re-read the first part as I read it as "A Doctor Who stated..." and I was concerned you didn't realise Doctor Who is not a real doctor :slap:

Actually, we don't have cures for the other coronaviruses like SARS and MERS although research is ongoing.

Incidently have you been advised to approach arresting people differently if they are coughing which is one of the symptons of the coronavirus? Or is it business as usual?

I had to re-read the first part as I read it as "A Doctor Who stated..." and I was concerned you didn't realise Doctor Who is not a real doctor :slap:

Actually, we don't have cures for the other coronaviruses like SARS and MERS although research is ongoing.

Incidently have you been advised to approach arresting people differently if they are coughing which is one of the symptons of the coronavirus? Or is it business as usual?
Yep, advice has been given, especially around being in custody suites. Luckily, I don't get involved with all that nonsense 😉
By the way, if you want some hand sanitizer, you can get a pocket sized bottle (50ml) on Ebay for £25.49, I shit you not

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313013103725