Coronavirus tipping point | Page 2 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

My wife was in our local deli today talking to our Doctor. He more or less said this was a load of old bollocks. Sats against flu deaths (if you can find them) seem to suggest that this is an over hyped load of old shit. If this indeed Armageddon, I'm sorry for getting this wrong, but in our lifetime how many "end of the world" viruses have we seen come and go?
Very true and this is nothing like a killer flu unless it mutates. I guess what is worrying the likes of the WHO is that it is far more contageous than flu or sars and, as yet, no cure has been identified

Update.
So the ambulance took my wife to Sunderland hospital and she had to sit in the ambulance for about 20 mins while they prepared the Virus pod(who the hell come up with that one) which was an empty office that contained a chair and a telephone. there was a note on the chair that said the doctor will phone soon. The doctor phoned ,ask a bunch of questions, then said he was going to consult another doctor and will phone back. He phoned back after about 15 mins to tell her they had instructed the ambulance to take her home again and the ambulance would pick her up again saturday afternoon at 3.30 to take her back to the hospital to take a throat swab to see if she had the virus.
Seriously you just could not make this up, she was taken all the way to Sunderland to speak to somebody on the bloody phone, whats wrong with her phone?. Anyway she has gone to bed spitting fire mumbling something about stuffing something up Boris Johnson's arris.
Thanks for the comments guys.

These are the sorts of things that wind me up about the NHS. They need to spend their resources more wisely.

Ever since Thatcher introduced the private market etc with its constraints and layers of non-clinical managers, it has become more and more disjointed and dysfunctional.
If you continue to focus on a Prime Minister from over 30 years ago...
....rather then the current jobsworth, pen-pushers - directly responsible for the nonsense reported by JohnGill;
a) you may be a sad, bitter, possibly bigoted individual
b) nonsense practices won't be improved

No, this isn't a scare story about just any old flu virus, and comparing it with road deaths is like comparing apples and pears.

About 1 in 1000 die from flu. About 1 in 100 from coronavirus. Now work out the %age of over 65s who die from it...

The interview by Katie Razzall of Helen Whately for the Government on Newsnight last night was particularly inept:

One of many examples - K: "We may need 9 times as many beds as are now available for coronavirus outbreak". HW 'We are trying to slow down the rate at which it is spread". K: just moves onto the next question on her list.

What a contrast to the way Sarah Smith ripped Graham Lenehan apart recently with objection after objection and interruption after interruption just for believing it was wrong to encourage and steam roller young children through sex change treatments and operations!!

I thought that Helen Whately came across poorly in the Newsnight interview. Whilst I accept that it may be too early to worry, there is that nagging thought that our NHS (thanks to austerity) can`t cope with a "routine" flow of patients !

I thought that Helen Whately came across poorly in the Newsnight interview. Whilst I accept that it may be too early to worry, there is that nagging thought that our NHS (thanks to austerity) can`t cope with a "routine" flow of patients !

Nadhim Zahawi was just as inept on Question Time - both of them just like Boris just repeating the metrics that we already know as though that answers the question as to how the problem will be dealt with.

But the interviewer on Newsnight was even more inept, just letting Helen Whately get away with it, reading through a list of questions one by one without any challenges whatsoever.

Now call me misogynist if you like but it was like an all girls together chummy goodbye at the end as well 😂🤣🤣. The whole thing was a pointless charade.

No, this isn't a scare story about just any old flu virus, and comparing it with road deaths is like comparing apples and pears.

Its still an over reaction by the need for the next sensationalist news story. People will die, just as they will from other things but it shows no sign of killing at the spanish flu levels. Of course older people are more likely to die. As a bit of a generalisation they are likely to be weaker and will possibly have other underlying health issues that make them more susceptible to this or any other virus.

It will come, it will pass and then mother nature will provide another one in the future.

At the end of this year lets compare the number of deaths caused by cancer, heart attack, tripping down the stairs, car accidents and Coronavirus.

If people really want to be scared about what will cause most deaths or put a future strain on the health service then go do a bit of obesity spotting. Obese people are more likely to be killed by the size of their stomachs than this virus in my humble and indeed uneducated opinion.

You
Its still an over reaction by the need for the next sensationalist news story. People will die, just as they will from other things but it shows no sign of killing at the spanish flu levels. Of course older people are more likely to die. As a bit of a generalisation they are likely to be weaker and will possibly have other underlying health issues that make them more susceptible to this or any other virus.

It will come, it will pass and then mother nature will provide another one in the future.

At the end of this year lets compare the number of deaths caused by cancer, heart attack, tripping down the stairs, car accidents and Coronavirus.

If people really want to be scared about what will cause most deaths or put a future strain on the health service then go do a bit of obesity spotting. Obese people are more likely to be killed by the size of their stomachs than this virus in my humble and indeed uneducated opinion.

Your complacency is as bad as the Government spokespersons' ! Still, as long as it only kills 1% of those infected and a lot more elderly it's nothing to worry about, because as long as it's not as bad as Spanish flu that's OK
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

You

Your complacency is as bad as the Government spokespersons' ! Still, as long as it only kills 1% of those infected and a lot more elderly it's nothing to worry about, because as long as it's not as bad as Spanish flu that's OK
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I don't know why you don't commit suicide before it gets you!

Whilst I accept that it may be too early to worry, there is that nagging thought that our NHS (thanks to austerity) can`t cope with a "routine" flow of patients !

If you read the media from around the world then there is a nagging fear that if it does turn into a pandemic then most local NHS around the western developed world will also struggle. This is why the general advice if you think you are ill is to remain isolated at home and call the 111 number.

If it worse case scenario the virus does go full blown bubonic plague then the way humanity will survive is self quarentine for several weeks with people in special gear removing the bodies afterwards.

About 1 in 1000 die from flu. About 1 in 100 from coronavirus. Now work out the %age of over 65s who die from it...

One of many examples -
K: "We may need 9 times as many beds as are now available for coronavirus outbreak".
HW 'We are trying to slow down the rate at which it is spread".
K: just moves onto the next question on her list.

Nadhim Zahawi was just as inept on Question Time - both of them just like Boris just repeating the metrics that we already know as though that answers the question as to how the problem will be dealt with.

What follow up questions do you think should have been asked by Katie Razzall? Aside from whether or not the 9 times as many beds estimate is accurate or not, we can't suddenly materialise additional beds. All we can do is try and slow down the rate of infection and hope that the virus will burn itself out while scientists try and create a working vaccine or cure.

Although I am sure Boris will be blamed for any deaths, I did see an interview with some health minister on Sky News saying the government was taking guidence from WHO and the scientific community and repeating their advice. In the case of the corona virus, I'd rather Boris and the government did take a back seat and let the scientists dictate the policy.

If you read the media from around the world then there is a nagging fear that if it does turn into a pandemic then most local NHS around the western developed world will also struggle. This is why the general advice if you think you are ill is to remain isolated at home and call the 111 number.

That may well be true, but it doesn`t alter the fact that staffing levels at our hospitals are a disgrace and you can`t move for patient laden trolleys in hospital corridors. In this climate, it`s a tall order for HMG in the UK to sell the "don`t worry you`re in good hands with our NHS" message. Little wonder that Whately & co are struggling with their efforts at reassurance.

I'm a great believer that we also have our own responsibilities when it comes to stopping this thing from spreading. Rocking up to A&E in an Uber really isnt going to help, especially when we'd already had loads of warnings/tips about what to do if you believe you've been to an "at risk" location or feel I'll.
For some years now (mainly because I use a lot of public transport, including the tube) I've carried a small hand sanitizer with me which I use every time I get on or off a train. Might sound a bit OCD but if everyone did it, this thing would have much less chance of spreading. I'm regularly shocked by selfish pr**ks who cough and sneeze and either don't cover their nose/mouth or catch it in their hand then grab the pole or strap on the tube ready for the next poor sod to come along.
Its basics people, wash your hands.

What follow up questions do you think should have been asked by Katie Razzall? Aside from whether or not the 9 times as many beds estimate is accurate or not, we can't suddenly materialise additional beds. All we can do is try and slow down the rate of infection and hope that the virus will burn itself out while scientists try and create a working vaccine or cure.

Although I am sure Boris will be blamed for any deaths, I did see an interview with some health minister on Sky News saying the government was taking guidence from WHO and the scientific community and repeating their advice. In the case of the corona virus, I'd rather Boris and the government did take a back seat and let the scientists dictate the policy.

Have you ever before seen an interviewer just sit there, lap up the answers and move on to the next question?

Whole regions in other countries have been shut down. Schools, army barracks, private hospitals, etc etc could be put on standby for emergency quarantine-cum-hospitals for less serious cases and much more space made available in general hospital wards for emergency care with higher levels of infection control-cum-quarantine too.

But honestly, if the Government haven't got anything to offer, why bother with the Cobra committee (Oh of course, Boris is already ahead of me on that having not bothered with it over the weekend just as the crisis is reaching pandemic level) and why bother with interviewing spokespersons who are just going to trot out all the patter about the disease, the dangers, the precautions needed etc that we already know?? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

That may well be true, but it doesn`t alter the fact that staffing levels at our hospitals are a disgrace and you can`t move for patient laden trolleys in hospital corridors. In this climate, it`s a tall order for HMG in t
I found the opposite recently, when I called an ambulance for my wife one evening during the last week of December she was taken to Margate, I followed and within an hour of arriving she had had a scan and an hour later in a ward, A and E had twelve people waiting obviously not all waiting for treatment and no trolleys in corridors.
I believe we have a wonderful health service, trying to cope with an ageing and increasing number of patients, with some who appear intent to destroy their lives with alcohol, drugs or obesity, yet expect the NHS to fix them up,

I

I found the opposite recently, when I called an ambulance for my wife one evening during the last week of December she was taken to Margate, I followed and within an hour of arriving she had had a scan and an hour later in a ward, A and E had twelve people waiting obviously not all waiting for treatment and no trolleys in corridors.
I believe we have a wonderful health service, trying to cope with an ageing and increasing number of patients, with some who appear intent to destroy their lives with alcohol, drugs or obesity, yet expect the NHS to fix them up,
I

Good to hear, Whistable. Would be nice if that was the norm, it isn`t.