Coronavirus tipping point | Page 148 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

The data simply hasn't been collected or published yet.
The theories I quoted above were those put forward by various scientists from around the world, I've never put them forward as fact, hence my use of the vague language. As I said at the end of my post "Truth is, no one seems to know a lot about it".
Call them theories, speculation, best guesses, all amounts to a lack of certainty which is what the whole post was about
Hope thats clearer

The theories I quoted above were those put forward by various scientists from around the world, I've never put them forward as fact, hence my use of the vague language. As I said at the end of my post "Truth is, no one seems to know a lot about it".
Call them theories, speculation, best guesses, all amounts to a lack of certainty which is what the whole post was about
Hope thats clearer

I wasnt having a pop just agreeing that this virus is so new and so little is known about almost everything associated with it. I've never known a time when papers have been published without first being scrutinised by referees all be it with caveats.
However we know enough about viral transmission in general and covid in particular to come up with a creditable responce that doesnt involve the death of tens of thousands of people.

I went to the supermarket on Monday, I was the only person wearing gloves and mask and one of only a few trying to keep my distance. People in other countries seem to be able to think for themselves, we just complain what the government should be doing.
Ah, at last, we have it. Just what the Government wanted. We now blame our own people. We are uniquely stupid and out of control.

I've been thinking for a while that the Government needed a scapegoat and it is its own people.

These same stupid out of control people have just elected this government, so I suppose it makes sense in a way.

Ah, at last, we have it. Just what the Government wanted. We now blame our own people. We are uniquely stupid and out of control.

I've been thinking for a while that the Government needed a scapegoat and it is its own people.

These same stupid out of control people have just elected this government, so I suppose it makes sense in a way.

I suppose it's better to be unfairly blamed for Covid-19 as against being threatend with the full force of the military.

Surely anyone sticking two fingers up and not complying because "I'm not being told what to do by Boris" is exactly the sort of person who didn't vote Conservative? 😁

Surely anyone sticking two fingers up and not complying because "I'm not being told what to do by Boris" is exactly the sort of person who didn't vote Conservative? 😁
If they are saying that it is probably since his mate went in tour and we had his risible Churchill imitation.

I'm sure you are only too well aware of how stupid people can be (considering your job) but are we that much worse than people in, say Spain or Italy when it comes to obeying rules and being sensible? Really?

I've heard plenty of people on the radio complaining about being let down by Johnson, having voted for him.

Anyway, he only took control yesterday, as jojills said, so we shouldn't judge him too harshly at this stage.

But how many deaths would have been caused by going into lockdown earller? It's a very difficult decision to make, not one I would like to have done

That balance is pretty clear for having elected to lockdown a week or two earlier. Many lives in total would have been saved. I wouldn't like to be making the decisions but Johnson has made, and is continuing to make, some very poor calls.

This may be a chance to test Covid19 immunity. The Business Secretary had a 45 minute meeting yesterday with Boris at No 10. It would be a big blow if Boris is struck down again now he has just taken the reins.

The Dispatches programme made some revelations that obviously need to be verified but interesting that advisors were present at SAGE meetings and not necessarily as merely spectators.

I find it interesting that we are always compared to Spain, Italy, Sweden, Ireland etc and lambasted about how bad we are doing but some work has been done regarding population density. This is obviously an important factor as the closer together that people are, or live, the easier it is to spread. So i did a little search and found this. I think it's interesting that not only are we doing considerably better than the countries mentioned above at one death per million per km² but are equal with Switzerland and The Netherlands.
I know this won't interest many as it would appear to indicate that actually, our government may be doing OK but interesting all the same and provides a little context.
On a website for Lib Dem supporters too 😳

Density.png

Link to site, few weeks out if date but not sure it would be massively different now
https://www.libdemvoice.org/should-...hen-comparing-countries-on-covid19-64333.html

That balance is pretty clear for having elected to lockdown a week or two earlier. Many lives in total would have been saved. I wouldn't like to be making the decisions but Johnson has made, and is continuing to make, some very poor calls.
We know that people have died because of lockdown, from non-covid reasons - we know that. People haven't been seeking medical advice or going to hospital with issues that they should have done. The earlier and longer we stay in lockdown to protect the sick and elderly, the worse it is for people that are not sick and elderly, and the more difficult it will be for the country to come back.

It is brutal yes, but if someone is in a nursing home they are going to die soon - that is just a fact. People who are old will die, people who have breathing problems will die of breathing related issues. Locking down the country doesn't have zero downside, it might be more difficult to understand if you are a pensioner and live in the suburbs, but life can't just stop (especially when you don't know what the future is). The deeper the whole we dig ourselves into, the more difficult it is to get out of it.

I don't know the answer to this, but how are Sweden and Holland doing (and Belarus)?

Pretty meaningless unless comparisons are made with inner city/urban populations, for example. As the article points out, figures roping Wyoming in with New York State distort the outcome.

Last edited:
Pretty meaningless unless comparisons are made with inner city/urban populations, for example.
Meaningless? Maybe but he does mention regionalism and, I would suggest, no more meaningless than just giving a national total with no allowance for regional populations