Cooky having a Pop | Vital Football

Cooky having a Pop

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
It looks like Cooky isn't very happy with a few comments on social media

PC on the games so far

"The league games have been outstanding games played at a fantastic tempo and have just been excellent football matches. I thought we did okay in the cup game on Tuesday night but we’re obviously giving a few goals away that everyone can see aren’t great, but that’s down to players playing in different positions and in new back fours. One of the things that disappoints me about the game is that people expect immediate results and there’s nobody capable of that. I’ve been really pleased with our start to the season, we’ve acquitted ourselves really well, albeit the cup game was a disappointment, but that means we can concentrate on the league."

PC on defensive partnerships

"People want to pick up on negatives all the time now and that’s the way football is. We’ve got two very young full backs who have never played for us before and we’ve got a centre back who has only recently come into the building, and naturally we’re meant to keep clean sheets straight away in one of the hardest leagues in the world. My style is to keep backing my players and staying positive."

Cook has said things like this in the past and I think it's easy for us fans to think when we are ripping into someone that it's just letting off steam and it'll never get back to the manager or the players or they are so well paid or thick skinned that they don't really care - but this just shows that the negativity does end up being heard and it does bother them.

I think there's plenty of times that negativity is justified, but i don't think we are in that place yet. With a bit of luck we'd have put 5 or 6 past Sheffield, put 4 past Villa and got another 2 or 3 goals against Rotherham and everyone would be on cloud 9. No doubting our defence has been dodgy and that needs to be sorted out but i'm sure they've been hammering defensive drills all week in training and hopefully the 4 strangers at the back will start to develope the understanding you need to be a solid unity.

But i do wish some of our fans writing the negative stuff on social media that is probably winding Cook up would cut Cook and the players a bit of slack. We've had probably more entertainment, excitment and good football in 2 league games than the 3 managed gave us combined in a full season last time we were at this level. We've had a good transfer window, we've hopefully got a takeover coming imminently and we surely can only get better as the new signings settle in. After some of the miserable times we've had in the Championship lately and the absolute mess our managers have made of us at this level I think we've got every reason to be more optimisitic at the moment.

Priority is survival. Anything above that will be a bonus. And we are a long way away from not reaching that target.

So as I have said before the time for moaning will be April next year. Until then let's just give him his head and the reigns.

He set himself up for it on Tuesday by playing Naismith and Lopez out of position when we had left and right backs available. He gets the accolades when we are successful so what can he expect after that decision on Tuesday.

But Jeff, Cook said he was going to play a weakened team. So this was a chance to try a few things out. Cook seems to think we played ok but should have done better.
I just think people over react at the slightest thing. We got beat it's not the end of the world.

He set himself up for it on Tuesday by playing Naismith and Lopez out of position when we had left and right backs available. He gets the accolades when we are successful so what can he expect after that decision on Tuesday.

Who would you have liked Cook to play at either full back given the fact we wanted to rest James and Robinson? I think looking at the squad they were the most sensible suggestions all things considered.

Why would we need to rest either of them for a start? Young lads like that should be able to cope with two games in a week after two games.
Robinson should have played and Connolly could have played at right back. A second left back should have been in place to deputise for Robinson. Evans should have played in defensive midfielder with McDonald.

But Jeff, Cook said he was going to play a weakened team. So this was a chance to try a few things out. Cook seems to think we played ok but should have done better.
I just think people over react at the slightest thing. We got beat it's not the end of the world.
It's two games in. Experimental line ups should have been over the pre-season. No over reaction at all.

Couldn't give a toss about the result Tuesday and at villa it was a positive performance. However there were errors in both games - in fact the defensive errors are a pattern so people are perfectly entitled to highlight and discuss them. Cook is being naive if he thinks otherwise in this social media age.

alas that's the point all the ex managers spouting shite on social media no naff all about the game to be honest at the end of the day cook took the decision that this game was low priority and a team was picked to try things out it's all right saying pick the young lads at right and left back but what if they got injured ?

Why would we need to rest either of them for a start? Young lads like that should be able to cope with two games in a week after two games.
Robinson should have played and Connolly could have played at right back. A second left back should have been in place to deputise for Robinson. Evans should have played in defensive midfielder with McDonald.

It is only 2 games in at the moment but remember when people were saying similar last season when we sacrificed the JPT but by the end of the year when all our games had stacked up that we had to play once every 3 days for about 2 months and people like Dan Burn had played over 50 games - was anyone still saying we should've played the first team in those games? Cooks decision was absolutely correct with hindsight and even at the time looking ahead it made complete sense. I think this is pretty much the same situation. Our first team will probably play every game for the rest of the season now we out of this cup.

As a manager you don't worry about player fatigue after it's already set in you've got to try and take steps to avoid it before it gets there.

Forest didn't play a single first teamer mid week and on paper their side is vastly superior to ours after spending about 20m this summer. Their coaches will have split training for the first team and cup side and the team we face today will have had 7 days of rest and preperation for us. We will have done the same, but if we did play half or all of our first team splitting training is much harder and it means we would've most likely only had 3 days of rest and prep to focus on the more important game. When you are playing a team like Forest it's going to be hard enough if we've both had the same build up - but if you throw an extra game in for our starting 11 that will give them the edge. When fine margins are what can seperate a win from a loss like we saw at Villa i don't think it's worth giving them that edge for the sake of a cup we've already said we don't care about.

I get the impression that we want to convert Naismith and Lopes into full backs. From what little we've seen of both both my initial impression is I'm not convinced either have the natural defensive instincts to make the transition but if Cook believes they can then these are the games you put them there. Time will tell if Cook is right but i think that them being out of position last Tuesday in our eyes was part of the learning / adapting process for what Cook wants.