Cook's Touchline Ban | Page 2 | Vital Football

Cook's Touchline Ban

The 2 supposed controversial ones in the Burnley v Bournemouth game were both correct decisions. Top of the arm can be handball & the new law states that it can't be a goal if there's been contact with the arm/hand regardless of whether there was any intent. I think the law is stupid but it is what it is. The other one where Bournemouth originally ended up going up the other end was an intentional handball so again correct decision

I disagree on the Bournemouth goal. It didn’t hit the top of his arm, it hit his shoulder. It’s a different part of his anatomy. I’ll go so far as to say it wasn't definitive either way - and in that instance if it can’t be determined there was no or clear obvious error so you go with the original decision. The second was probably right. I say probably as from some angles it didn’t hit his arm. To that end even though I think it did hit his arm it wasn’t definitive so again it wasn’t a clear or obvious error by the on field referee. You can’t make decisions on probably or a best guess. For me both incidents were re officiated when there was no conclusive evidence so shouldn’t have been.

I can't remember any others to be honest but like I said I wasn't paying that much attention - Like I said earlier though its errors & not bias

There was a shocking challenge in the Sheff Utd game, a straight red card offence. I’m not suggesting bias and they are errors on the field, no question of that. My point is if you are reviewing footage there should be no error, none whatsoever. Unfortunately there still is.

I’m not one for conspiracy theories but I sometimes wonder about the influence of betting syndicates. It’s relatively rife in cricket and so it wouldn’t in the least surprise me if it went on in football given the money involved. Refs comparatively to players aren’t paid that well. Whilst I’ve no evidence I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve got their hooks into some refs given the money that could be made with them influencing games.

Personally i hate var with a passion. It takes so much away from the game and is ruining the spontaneity of the game and the sheer elation of scoring. I get wound up watching it with two teams I’ve no vested interest in, it would drive me nuts if it was involved at our level. Because of it I now watch fewer PL games, I’m not sure I could carry on watching us if it was introduced in the championship as it’s just ruining the game. Imagine a Bournemouth fan travelling best of a 600 mile round trip to see you score twice, both ruled out by someone hundreds of miles away from Turf Moor then later knowing they hadn’t got them right as there was nothing definitive. Not sure I could cope with that.

For me it hit the ball joint of arm & shoulder which is handball.
The other one was blatant for me after he misjudged the flight of the ball and it was an instinctive reaction to his mistake
I'll have a shufty at the Sheff Utd game

I was always against VAR and nowt I've seen since has changed my mind - the application of it seems inconsistent and I think viewing certain instances again and again can give a false impression as opposed to in the game in real time

I don't think refs are being nobbled by betting syndicates in the EPL. I've no evidence either way mind and I don't think it can be 100% discounted
It's certainly happened before - wasn't there a famous game involving an English club (possibly Forest or Leeds) in the European Cup against Anderlecht where there were accusations at the time that were never looked into. Not that long ago it was admitted that they'd paid him off

For me it hit the ball joint of arm & shoulder which is handball.
The other one was blatant for me after he misjudged the flight of the ball and it was an instinctive reaction to his mistake
I'll have a shufty at the Sheff Utd game

I was always against VAR and nowt I've seen since has changed my mind - the application of it seems inconsistent and I think viewing certain instances again and again can give a false impression as opposed to in the game in real time

I don't think refs are being nobbled by betting syndicates in the EPL. I've no evidence either way mind and I don't think it can be 100% discounted
It's certainly happened before - wasn't there a famous game involving an English club (possibly Forest or Leeds) in the European Cup against Anderlecht where there were accusations at the time that were never looked into. Not that long ago it was admitted that they'd paid him off

For me it was straight off the shoulder. We cannot say definitively so there was no clear or obvious error so should have been left with the ref - whichever way he had adjudged it.
As I say I’ve no evidence of refs being bought. However it happens in other sports so it would be naive to think it doesn’t happen in football given the money involved.

Agree completely on var. Instead of removing controversy it’s just magnified it. Never known a goal being scored by an armpit before, but now we rule out goals because of it. I just find it ludicrous and goes against what the offside was intended for and goes against the unwritten law about the spirit of the game in my opinion I’d rather it be scrapped personally.

What is inconsistent with VAR is the way offside is judged.

If a goalkeeper has his feet inside the area but stretches his arms out to take the ball beyond the line this is deemed acceptable.

If a players feet are behind the last man but his arm or any other part of his body is beyond that he is judged offside.

Surely for consistency it should be the position of the feet and not other parts of the body that should be judged.

What is inconsistent with VAR is the way offside is judged.

If a goalkeeper has his feet inside the area but stretches his arms out to take the ball beyond the line this is deemed acceptable.

If a players feet are behind the last man but his arm or any other part of his body is beyond that he is judged offside.

Surely for consistency it should be the position of the feet and not other parts of the body that should be judged.

It’s a complete mess. I’m sure not one person would feel aggrieved if a goal was scored against them that subsequently showed with forensic analysis that the attackers arm pit was a mm offside. I certainly wouldn’t. It should be like cricket where there is a margin of error in favour of an attacker - given the game is all about goals.

The position of the arm is never taken in to account when judging offside (VAR or not) because it only relates to parts of the body with which you can legitimately play the ball so feet, legs, midriff, body and head but not the arms

A keeper can't take the ball over the edge of the penalty area with his arms either. It's whether the whole of the ball is over the penalty area line and not the keepers feet - Same way that an outfield player couldn't lean over the touchline with his head to nod a ball back on to the field of play without giving away a throw in. If the ball is over the line it's out

The position of the arm is never taken in to account when judging offside (VAR or not) because it only relates to parts of the body with which you can legitimately play the ball so feet, legs, midriff, body and head but not the arms

A keeper can't take the ball over the edge of the penalty area with his arms either. It's whether the whole of the ball is over the penalty area line and not the keepers feet - Same way that an outfield player couldn't lean over the touchline with his head to nod a ball back on to the field of play without giving away a throw in. If the ball is over the line it's out

Are you sure of your facts on this MB, I seem to remember having a goal disallowed in the recent past for a player being in line with the last man but his arm was offside.

I may be wrong on this.

I have also seen examples of keepers taking the ball at full stretch whilst their feet were only just inside the box and not being penalised and indeed have done so myself on occasion.

EDIT:

My apologies MB you are indeed correct. I have just fact checked with the internet and realised that I was getting confused with the rule that allows the Keeper to take the ball with his feet outside the area so long as the ball is inside. Once again my apologies for doubting you.

Last edited:
I'll forgive you on this occasion TB 😁😁
And you definitely shouldn't be given offside for your arm if that is the only part of your body that is offside