Cook... The Referendum | Page 27 | Vital Football

Cook... The Referendum

Should Paul Cook be retained?

• Total voters
What a cracking result and performance that was. ........superbly orchestrated by our current manager.

That's what he - and the team - are capable of. How the hell has it gone so downhill?

Because he’s changed the style of play and tactics. Simple as that for me. We’ve gone from fast attacking play to lumping it aimlessly long and it has been that way for over 12 months.

What a cracking result and performance that was. ........superbly orchestrated by our current manager.

That's what he - and the team - are capable of. How the hell has it gone so downhill?

There is clearly something wrong behind the scenes, feels like a good relationship turned very bad, but each person does not want it to end so they stay together being miserable for the rest of their life.

Because the manager was given far too long a contract and is effectively doing what some players do when they get a new deal ... They coast or do not try as hard as they should.
If the rumours about the manager being on 15k a week and a 2 year payoff are true .... then you can see why he hasn't been sacked.
I disliked the way Whelan sacked managers far too early, but Mr Cook has shown that he is not capable of taking his team any further.
His time is up.
He has hit his ceiling ... unlike Cedric who couldn't f*cking hit his ceiling using a trampoline.

Go on Jock, I'll bite (but only cos you're now a big time broadcasting pundit ! ;)).

Of course I'll try and find any last miniscule chance of not having to go through yet another cycle of change and churn. It's the sensible thing to do. Every manager goes through bad runs. Every one. However, some on here start calling for a manager's head way too early. Granted others (like me) may err on the "waiting too long" side, but it worked last season didn't it?

This season, we had a reasonable start, but have just never got going since. Now, with home form no longer being as reliable as in the past, and with the late losses mounting up, it's right to bring things to a head.

So, choose your own headwear Jock, and crack on yourself.
:cheers:

Firstly thanks for your acknowledgement of my 'big time' broadcasting punditry skills....so with that in the bag I'd like to say you can talk bollocks n so long as u believe in the bollocks then all will be well....I jest btw.

Not about getting u to bite just merely pointing out the frailties of our current manager....n not hide behind bad luck, though league yada yada yada

Because the manager was given far too long a contract and is effectively doing what some players do when they get a new deal ... They coast or do not try as hard as they should.
If the rumours about the manager being on 15k a week and a 2 year payoff are true .... then you can see why he hasn't been sacked.
I disliked the way Whelan sacked managers far too early, but Mr Cook has shown that he is not capable of taking his team any further.
His time is up.
He has hit his ceiling ... unlike Cedric who couldn't f*cking hit his ceiling using a trampoline.

What is the effect of this £1.5m on FFP?

His time is up.
But surely if we get someone in who can lift us up the table the extra money we would get at the end of the season for finishing higher up the league would pretty much pay for his pay-off? If the pay-off is going to impact on FFP surely there is a creative way we can get around it? Sell a couple of our League 1 players to Sunderland would be a good start!

https://www.efl.com/-more/governanc...appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

APPENDIX D – Permitted Exceptional Items
1 Introduction
1.1 This Appendix sets out further details as to what may (or may not) be regarded as a Permitted Exceptional Item within the Fair Play Calculation.
2 Permitted Exceptional Items
2.7.3 any costs associated with a change in team management including, by way of example and without limitation, termination payments to former managers, or compensation fees to former clubs.

I normally change my mind the morning after one of our away matches .... not this time.Mr Cook and his backroom team have to go.
I am all for loyalty but the near identical nature of the away defeats suggest that it is not a run of bad luck,pure chance or a set of fluke results.
The entire coaching staff have shown that they do not have the ability to stop the problem. That is their role.
The substitution faux pas late in the game was almost as poor as that United buffoon's back seat driver farce at Blackburn (Omar Bogle off, erm ... no, erm ... yes,erm ... no, oh go on then ...yes)

Look to recruit a manager who has a philosophy that matches the club's aspirations.

Last edited:
https://www.efl.com/-more/governanc...appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

APPENDIX D – Permitted Exceptional Items
1 Introduction
1.1 This Appendix sets out further details as to what may (or may not) be regarded as a Permitted Exceptional Item within the Fair Play Calculation.
2 Permitted Exceptional Items
2.7.3 any costs associated with a change in team management including, by way of example and without limitation, termination payments to former managers, or compensation fees to former clubs.

I normally change my mind the morning after one of our away matches .... not this time.Mr Cook and his backroom team have to go.
I am all for loyalty but the near identical nature of the away defeats suggest that it is not a run of bad luck,pure chance or a set of fluke results.
The entire coaching staff have shown that they do not have the ability to stop the problem. That is their role.
The substitution faux pas late in the game was almost as poor as that United buffoon's back seat driver farce at Blackburn (Omar Bogle off, erm ... no, erm ... yes,erm ... no, oh go on then ...yes)

Look to recruit a manager who has a philosophy that matches the club's aspirations.
Derby are swerving FFP by appointing Rooney as a coach guess it's the same clause which doesn't prevent the 🤡 and all his disciples being potted en masse.

Cook is going nowhere.

Royle won’t give an interview.

Cook says he’s done all he can. But each game is like Groundhog Day.

Fans being blamed for Cook not picking Naismith. Even if he’s best (only) CB option.

Windass’s mother favourites’ tweet saying there’s unrest in the camp.

Club expecting under 7,000 home fans on Wednesday.

Just how toxic is it going to be on Wednesday?

Cook will do something daft and play someone completely unsuited at centre half and then when it goes wrong he'll blame fans saying everything would've been fine if he could play Naismith out of position there but he can't cos some booed him last time and that is the reason we lost.

If I was Naismith and I had any ambition of proving the fans who booed wrong I'd want to get back in asap to face it head on but it would be a hard ask for him to come in and face the league leaders out of position at centre back and would likely make matters worse if he understandably got exposed.

The most sensible thing may be just putting one of young lads in. But I could see Robinson maybe being moved there which prob the best bet if we are afraid to look at youth team.

Kieffer Moore was a centre back back in the day so that could be an outside bet.

Lee Evans is another one that may end up in consideration as he played emergency centre back at Rotherham away a couple of years ago for a spell due to Dunkley being treated for injury for a bit.

Cook will do something daft and play someone completely unsuited at centre half and then when it goes wrong he'll blame fans saying everything would've been fine if he could play Naismith out of position there but he can't cos some booed him last time and that is the reason we lost.
Nathan Byrne RB and Sterling CB or
Robinson CB and the sicknote from Leeds LB (Can't even remember his name !)
Though knowing Cook he'll throw Naismith in/under the bus again then play his "not me guv" card
Also looks like wolves have had enough of 🤡 as well so no chance of any more loans fm them

Cook is banging on about the preparation for games but it seems to me that he's picked the same failing core of players every match with the same cautious boring tactics. A change of manager is desperately needed but without several championship players added in January we are going down because our squad isn't good enough.

My preferred centre back pairing on Wed would probably be Kipre and Sterling (as he doesn't get outmuscled easily and has a bit of height at 5'11 and pace).With Byrne coming in at RB and Robinson LB.
Or we could go 352 or 343 with Sheffield Utd style overlapping centre backs with Kipre in the middle,Robinson to the left and Sterling to the right.
This was a game Naismith could of been utilised due to the injuries and suspension.Being used either LCB in a back 3 like he did so well against Leeds last season or as LWB if Robinson is LCB.But due to some fans booing him last home game (which IMO was completely out of order),I don't know what his current mental state is,as he was clearly affected when he came on.He was left out of the squad yesterday so his confidence must be shot to pieces after Reading,so personally i wouldn't risk using him on Wed,which is a shame.(It turns out all these points thrown away in the last 8 games wasn't his fault after all)😉

My preferred centre back pairing on Wed would probably be Kipre and Sterling (as he doesn't get outmuscled easily and has a bit of height at 5'11 and pace).With Byrne coming in at RB and Robinson LB.
Or we could go 352 or 343 with Sheffield Utd style overlapping centre backs with Kipre in the middle, Robinson to the left and Sterling to the right.
This was a game Naismith could've been utilised due to the injuries and suspension.Being used either LCB in a back 3 like he did so well against Leeds last season or as LWB if Robinson is LCB.But due to some fans booing him last home game (which IMO was completely out of order),I don't know what his current mental state is,as he was clearly affected when he came on.He was left out of the squad yesterday so his confidence must be shot to pieces after Reading,so personally i wouldn't risk using him on Wed,which is a shame.(It turns out all these points thrown away in the last 8 games wasn't his fault after all)😉

Are you still supporting Cook as manager
You are my sunshine
As I see you havent changed your vote on here