Cook sacked | Page 4 | Vital Football

Cook sacked

I saw Paul Cook's Chesterfield lost to Solihull in the play offs.

Out of curiosity i thought I'd have a look at how Cook had done, considering he inherited a team in such a good position it was quite a shocking drop off.

When Cook took over Chesterfield were 2nd in the league, just 1 point behind leaders Stockport with a game in hand. Up to that point in 26 games they had 54 points with 15 wins, 9 draws and 2 loses.

By contrast in 18 league games under Cook they got 20 points with 5 wins, 5 draws and 8 loses. They just about hung onto a play off spot finishing 7th, 20 points behind Stockport.

There were questions about Cook's ability while he was here, and many suggested Richardson was the real brains of the operation. But Cook couldn't have asked for better opportunities to succeed than what he got in the massive budget at Ipswich and a ready made top of the table side at Chesterfield and he struggled badly at both. It seems he was completely reliant on Richardson, Barry and the rest of his coaching staff.

Had a horrible time with injuries. Been without Tshimanga for pretty much his entire time there, massive loss.

Cook and Richardson were an excellent team. Richardson is clearly a very good coach, but his biggest weakness is a severe lack of charisma, which is Cook's biggest strength. Leam's coaching on the training ground combined with Cook's team talks/motivational skills equals the perfect partnership.

Had a horrible time with injuries. Been without Tshimanga for pretty much his entire time there, massive loss.

Cook and Richardson were an excellent team. Richardson is clearly a very good coach, but his biggest weakness is a severe lack of charisma, which is Cook's biggest strength. Leam's coaching on the training ground combined with Cook's team talks/motivational skills equals the perfect partnership.
Our style of play and home form was very much lacking in charisma for most of the season.
Absolutely dull as dishwater and struggling at home against top half sides was almost our downfall.

As Glasgow says his stock has crashed and with what happened at Ipswich and now Chesterfield and more tantrums with the press, clubs are realising that on his own without Leam he isn't the real deal, and he may have a struggle to get a decent level club again anytime soon.

Did he really leave us to help us or to further his career ?

As Glasgow says his stock has crashed and with what happened at Ipswich and now Chesterfield and more tantrums with the press, clubs are realising that on his own without Leam he isn't the real deal, and he may have a struggle to get a decent level club again anytime soon.

Did he really leave us to help us or to further his career ?

They were very much a good team that worked from each other. It was no more all about Leam than it was about Cook. In fact Leam still says he's in daily contact with Cook for advice. Should things end at Chesterfield I wouldn't be surprised to see him take an advisory office based role back at Latics

I saw Paul Cook's Chesterfield lost to Solihull in the play offs.

Out of curiosity i thought I'd have a look at how Cook had done, considering he inherited a team in such a good position it was quite a shocking drop off.

When Cook took over Chesterfield were 2nd in the league, just 1 point behind leaders Stockport with a game in hand. Up to that point in 26 games they had 54 points with 15 wins, 9 draws and 2 loses.

By contrast in 18 league games under Cook they got 20 points with 5 wins, 5 draws and 8 loses. They just about hung onto a play off spot finishing 7th, 20 points behind Stockport.

There were questions about Cook's ability while he was here, and many suggested Richardson was the real brains of the operation. But Cook couldn't have asked for better opportunities to succeed than what he got in the massive budget at Ipswich and a ready made top of the table side at Chesterfield and he struggled badly at both. It seems he was completely reliant on Richardson, Barry and the rest of his coaching staff.
Tbf to him didnt he lose his leading goalscorer and star player for season in his first game in charge of them?

Tbf to him didnt he lose his leading goalscorer and star player for season in his first game in charge of them?

I'm sure that contributed but if your form goes from title contenders to relegation strugglers immediately after a new manager comes in there's a lot more wrong than missing one player.