Cook sacked | Page 3 | Vital Football

Cook sacked

I don't understand why people are holding a grudge against him and taking delight in his demise at Ipswich. Thought he did a respectable job and his reason for leaving was understandable.

There were certainty things to be critical of him for during his spell here and he caused plenty of frustration for sure over the years. I get how that can stick with people.

But personally I think he was overall a net positive and he did leave a lot of money in the club he would've been entitled to by walking before admin would've had to push him out.

We played some utterly turgid stuff at times under Cook & at other clubs (a la Ipswich) he probably would have got the push when Sharpe & then Jackson kept faith in him.
Now that could have been blind faith, being pally with him, too costly to sack or because they could see the bigger picture, see the coaching team he had built round him & the players that team were bringing in & developing.
No idea which one of them is likely to have been the case but I don't think that it's unreasonable to assume that, bearing in mind how Latics played up to & beyond the entry in to administration in 19/20 that it was the last one.

Quite why some people seem to be holding some form of grudge against him because he moved on is baffling - again whether that was because the club couldn't afford his salary (he could have insisted on a pay off but didn't), because the administrators were agreeing deals for his players without even consulting with him or because he believed that he'd get a better offer from elsewhere.

I believe that in Richardson Latics have got more than just a decent manager & coach but a decent person, but if he continues to be a success then the day will come when he decides that he could get better elsewhere (wages, budget etc..). It's just a fact of life - Likewise if the time comes when it's not working for him here then Latics will bin him off

Former Ipswich Town, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic boss Paul Cook could be set for sensational return to Chesterfield
Paul Cook could be set for a sensational return to the Spireites.

Former Ipswich Town, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic boss Paul Cook could be set for sensational return to Chesterfield
Paul Cook could be set for a sensational return to the Spireites.

That is one hell of drop.

I think after the budget he was given and how poor he was at Ipswich he certainly has to rebuild his reputation a bit, but you'd think if he is willing to go to Chesterfield he could've found a lower L1 side or L2 side.

Chesterfield are a point off the top with a game in hand , why are they looking for a new manager ?