Cook out, Jones in? | Vital Football

Cook out, Jones in?

If we couldn't find the money to sack Cook before the financial crisis the world is about to go through we wont be likely to stump up now. But if we suddenly did decide we wanted to pay off Cook i wouldn't want Jones as a replacement. Luton fans didn't think he was up to much - if he wasn't a former player no one would think twice about him coming here and nostalgia nearly always negatively impacts decision making when it comes to success in football.

If we couldn't find the money to sack Cook before the financial crisis the world is about to go through we wont be likely to stump up now. But if we suddenly did decide we wanted to pay off Cook i wouldn't want Jones as a replacement. Luton fans didn't think he was up to much - if he wasn't a former player no one would think twice about him coming here and nostalgia nearly always negatively impacts decision making when it comes to success in football.
That's a very good point KDZ - which is equally valid towards our current manager

To be honest the boards patience / financial inability to sack cook has kept us in the league last season and also this season. If we had payed cook off in Dec, Jan time and got a new manager in and still been in bottom 3 we would be a lot more nervous just now.

As it stands cook has kept us safe for 2 seasons in a row and we've had no expense of sacking a coaching team that potentially could have killed us off.

To be honest the boards patience / financial inability to sack cook has kept us in the league last season and also this season. If we had payed cook off in Dec, Jan time and got a new manager in and still been in bottom 3 we would be a lot more nervous just now.

As it stands cook has kept us safe for 2 seasons in a row and we've had no expense of sacking a coaching team that potentially could have killed us off.

Unfortunately we aren't safe yet and i really fear for the season returning. We are the worst team in the relegation battle at 6 pointers and unless we break the pattern of the last 2 and a half years it could be our undoing.

It's all speculation but you could argue if we sacked Cook last season at Christmas we could've ended up much better off than we are now. Swings and round abouts.

Hopefully factually correct though i can't forget that he spunked millions pre season and took the team backwards on the prior year. Never mind the shocking style of play in evidence for the vast majority of 2 seasons.

We would have been in a right mess now if we had have sacked him before the lockdown.
Paying up his long contract would have cost £M's, couple that with a new manager on higher wages and all income streams stopped due to the virus, we would have been even more screwwed than we are now.
I always shouted for him to be sacked, but in hindsight, its a damn good job we didn't.
COOK IN!!!

I'd take Jones over Cook in a heartbeat. But then I'd take Grace Jones over Cook in a heartbeat. With that said, in absolute terms, however much I like Jones for what he did for us as a player, he's at best unproven as a first team manager (taking the view that he's got a very weak squad in a very good league), and at worst he's proven he's not up to management (in that he's not really achieved any notable improvement versus their level last year). At least not at this level. He'd be a long way from the top of my list of new managers. Probably close to the bottom, in truth, though that no reflection on him personally... he'll always be a hero to me as a player.

Cook's going nowhere anyway, though. If we couldn't afford to sack him before, we certainly can't now.

We just have to hope the leaders in the dressing room, like Samy and Pilks, can lead the team to survival. The players pulled it out of the bag last year despite Cook, so everything crossed they can do it again this year.

Last edited:
Season needs scrapping. A shame for Barrow and yet another bacon saver for Horwich but it's done now finished. Start a new season when it's safe.
Barrow will go up any way there is a place short in the football league. That’s what Barrow fans are saying

If the lad from Brighton goes back and we play behind closed doors we are in big trouble but I don’t think we will play any time soon

There has been talk of contract extensions for players in the unusual position of their contracts being up before the season ends. Players like Balogun, who are on loan, will likely remain with the loan side until completion of the competition. Other players like Jacobs, Dunkley, Pilkington, etc, whose contracts expire this summer will be extended appropriately to enable clubs to complete their fixtures. This is very much subject to the players union and the EFL Clubs agreeing.

Season needs scrapping. A shame for Barrow and yet another bacon saver for Horwich but it's done now finished. Start a new season when it's safe.
If the season is scrapped Horwich's points deduction should carry over - bet it won't though lucky buggers 🙄

If the season is scrapped Horwich's points deduction should carry over - bet it won't though lucky buggers 🙄

I'm fairly sure it will Hampton. After all, that was the punishment given to them. If the season is nullified, then they still need to be given the punishment.

The interesting one would be Bury. If we were to revert to the situation at the start of the season, then Bury (if they can sort 'emselves out) should be given the chance to get back in. How else would it work? Promote the losing play off finalists from last season? ........ or the team at the top this season when we stopped? Nah, Bury for me.

Last edited:
There has been talk of contract extensions for players in the unusual position of their contracts being up before the season ends. Players like Balogun, who are on loan, will likely remain with the loan side until completion of the competition. Other players like Jacobs, Dunkley, Pilkington, etc, whose contracts expire this summer will be extended appropriately to enable clubs to complete their fixtures. This is very much subject to the players union and the EFL Clubs agreeing.
Will they? I suspect everyone out of contract in the summer will be released with immediate effect. We've not got the money to extend them, especially with none of them being key players. They'll all be released and replaced with youth team players to fill the holes in the squad. It could turn out an ideal solution if those kids make the step up, more assets for us to sell over the next year or so and believe me, we need every sellable asset we can get right now.

Will they? I suspect everyone out of contract in the summer will be released with immediate effect. We've not got the money to extend them, especially with none of them being key players. They'll all be released and replaced with youth team players to fill the holes in the squad. It could turn out an ideal solution if those kids make the step up, more assets for us to sell over the next year or so and believe me, we need every sellable asset we can get right now.

I understand what you are saying but surely it would invalidate the outcome of the league if players are released or contracts ended before the league is completed.

It is not a unique problem to our club as every other club will be in a similar position. If all the players contracts come to an end then most of the clubs would be unable to field a decent representative team to play the remaining fixtures and the integrity of the league would be compromised.

A short term extension to the contracts would alleviate the problem and as I say is being worked on by the authorities. It would not be that expensive to fund and would enable the clubs to fulfill their obligations to the TV companies and enable them to claim the monies owed from them.

I think that given the situation, and that there will not be much money in the kitty at most clubs, there will indeed be a shift in transfer business and hopefully given our recent success with the youth set up we have we will be in a good position to take advantage.

The authorities could also contemplate a change to the FFP regulations to allow owners to bolster the funds at clubs and allow them to continue to trade and recruit players. I have not heard any rumours that this is being thought about but seems to me to be a possible solution to a short term problem.

Last edited: