Cook needs to go! | Page 16 | Vital Football

Cook needs to go!

The thing i think that is most interesting is look at the Hull post match - Cook looked like a defeated man, out of ideas who seemed like even he no faith left and the response he delivered was polar opposite. Cook has said a few times this season that he'd do one thing in press confrences and deliver something totally different often his words were more positive than his negative actions but in this instance his actions were ultra positive and while his words were so negative.

Cook said that he felt there was nothing was wrong with the tactics and implied they weren't changing yet he changed the team significantly in a way no one would've predicted and approached the game in a hugely postive way with a higher press and more attack minded against the top 2 teams in the division that have been free scoring.

He said that the personnel were letting him down and he couldn't get anymore out of them - yet he somehow managed to inspire them to give more than ever before against Norwich and Leeds - even during out good run at the start of the season we weren't showing that much intenity and desire - it was a new level.

He seemed to suggest that the away form was what it was and it wasn't going to change between now and the end of the season but we went into the Leeds game bravely and even after losing the man and going behind he was fearless with his approach when it would've perfectly understandable to just try and do damage limitation under the circumstances.

It was a truley remarkable turn around, and all of the things we've been calling for; bravery, positivity, battle, work ethic were there in spades from both the manage and his players. Cook has deserved a lot of critasism this season for some of the things he's done but you have to give credit where it's due and deserves immense credit for the Norwich and Leeds games (and to a lesser extent Preston) they were excellent managerial performances from him. The players also deserve huge credit but you can tell when players are carrying a dodgy managment display and when the players are carrying out a good managers game plan properly and they did just that - this brave, attack minded Cook is the one we all loved at the start of the season and i thought we'd lost - only popping up every now and then before going missing again - i have no idea what happened but i hope this version is back for good now.

You hear stories about teams who at times of crisis have some type of clear the air meeting where they pull together and move forward differently. We may never know if there was anything like that but something felt tangibly different - it seemed like after the Hull game Cook and the players seemed to collectively or individually say to themselves 'there's nothing to lose - let's go for it' and they really turned everything on it's head. It was back to the start of the season bravery - it wasn't neceserily sexy football and there were a fair few long balls in but the intensity, belief and positivity were back from out of nowhere and that is what made it all work. Football isn't half a funny old game - and especially Wigan Athletic it so often seems when all hope has genuinely gone that we pull out something completely unexpected boardering on a miracle.

I don't know if the last 2 / 3 games are the signs that the penny has dropped and the way we will move forward in every game or if this is a great escape and once the adrenalin and fear are gone if we will regress again and if it is questions will still need to be asked and maybe changes made. But if they are the new normal there is no debate on if Cook and if all the players are good enough. As most things in football it's educated guess and a prediction - you can make a case either way but i think the next 2 games could give us a bit of clue to that.

I felt for most of the season 4th bottom skin of our teeth above Rotherham was most likely the outcome and needing points on the final day, but i had less and less confidence over the past few weeks and felt that our chances of finishing above Rotherham were diminishing to the point i thought Rotherham had edged ahead of us as the most likely to get 4th bottom. I knew on our day we could do the business, but our day just wasn't coming round enough, we didn't seem like we had the fire in our bellies or the bottle to swing for the fences to cause an upset. We were so bad away from home and at managing a lead and had a horrible habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that i couldn't see us generating the 2 or 3 wins required to get us over the line - so i'm delighted to be proven wrong. All of those who kept faith in Cook turning the corner through all of the horrible times have had their faith repayed - including IEC. There is no such thing as a safe bet in football - backing Cook to keep us up was I think arguably a bigger gamble than changing him when you looked at the stats along the way but they they got the call right, so fair play to them and hopefully this is the first of many good decisions. If Cook stays remains to be seen but I think IEC have earned a little respect and benefit of the doubt with whatever they decide.

I dont think people quite realise how important survival this year could be - it's always vital for the financial stability of the club to be in at least the Championship but with this being IEC's first summer in charge it will be massively beneficial to have the extra income. IEC need to heavily invest in the academy set up and get the recruitment model rebuilt and do to that with 5-6m less revenue in the league below while trying to likely carry a big budget squad for L1 and bounce back again would seriously hamper some if not all of those ambitions due to the lack of revenue / increase in loses. IEC have a good plan on paper and to do that they need to get the new infrastructure in place and it will be drastically easier to make those investments in the Championship while stabalising rather than potentially having to divert more limited funds into trying to get promotion back there.

Overall a huge relief to get over the line, it's completely arguable we shouldn't have ever been anywhere near this low in the league when you look at the points we dropped in the manner we did after the start we had - but after the season with so many lows it does feel a bit like a happy ending. So whatever it was it's done with now and hopefully we can enjoy a summer of building up from a degree of success rather than rebuilding after another failure.

Last edited:
What’s your excuse for Brentford then?

You stew on that and while thinking of a reply keep reminding yourself that we apparently have no money, when Josh Windass is a 2.5 million pound signing with a five figure salary.

Who mentioned Brentford? I was just replying to your comparison of Norwich City's setup and ours with reference to certain fans needing to take a reality check.

Lots of good stuff there KDZ, but I think you've twisted a couple of things.

He didn't say the away form wasn't going to change..... he was referring to the approach. (I think we've done this one before).

Also, he didn't say his players were letting him down..... just that their mistakes were. Pedantic I know, but significant.

Like you, I don't know what's happened, but whatever it was, it involved the players, Manager and coaching staff all working together, as a team.

More of the same please.

I was surprised at the £30 adult charge for preston at home. Maybe £25 would have brought more in.
Maybe next season we could introduce an 18- 21 price bracket. As most people that age are on a low income.
Millwall game:
Under 25's & over 65's = £15
Under 19's = £10
Adults = £20

The club can't do anymore regarding ticket pricing unless they register themselves as a charity.

Won't get into Cooks ongoing position for now, just enjoying the fact we're safe. I will say that I noticed less of the sickening praise for opposition teams in recent weeks, whilst remaining respectful, so perhaps the message has got through in this regard.

The difference being Norwich have great recruitment that comes probably with getting a foreign manager who knows foreign leagues. Teemu Pukki, free transfer, Zimmermann, free transfer, Stiepermann and Buendia both cheap foreign signings. Are we going to find players like that with our recruitment system and English manager? Not a bloody chance! It’s already started, linked with two centre backs from Barnsley, whom I bet each would cost more than those Norwich players put together.

As usual after a couple of wins, folk are falling into the trap of thinking we’re a great team and should be signing everyone up. Time for a reality check! Clarke has been largely poor and a few good games as his loan spell conveniently comes to an end before he’ll be needing a new permanent club isn’t enough to make me want to sign him. Ditto Robinson. Our current squad minus all the players we’ll be losing is a 24th place squad on paper. We have some serious work to do!

Zimmerman and Steipermann were signed from the lower levels in Germany. Which shows you can find players in any league, at any level if they suit the requirements of the system the manager wants to play. We signed 3 strikers under 5 "10 and wanted to use them as target men. Pukki was signed from the very poor Danish league and has been brilliant at this level.

They spent half their budget on Ben Marshall and Moritz Leitner, Marshall was sent on loan to Millwall and Leitner has feature in less then half their games. Buendía was an excellent signing. Tim Krul on a free was a good signing for his experience as well.

Their wages will be far superior to ours, due to them being in the premier league more recently then we were. They didn't make the mistake of wasting their financial advantage.

Clarke, he deserves at least a one year deal, with a clause of an extra year if he starts 60% our games next season. He's created almost as many as Powell has this season with less starts. Powell started 23 creating 13, Clarkes started 18 creating 11. Last season Clarke started 38 creating 24 goals.

Clarkes 34 and he's still getting better, he doesn't lack pace. Which is usually the case for players his age, either that or struggling with injuries. He's had neither up to this point, also whilst he's more capable then any other attacking threat we've had this season he should be kept until we find a better player. If Cook can get him to strengthen his upper body in pre-season he could have a very good season next year.

Millwall game:
Under 25's & over 65's = £15
Under 19's = £10
Adults = £20

The club can't do anymore regarding ticket pricing unless they register themselves as a charity.

That's good to see. I agree Latics can only do so much to attract new fans/ floaters. But I wonder if some young fans lose interest when they turn 18?
The increase from £5/£10 to £25/£30 can be to much for some of them.
If it was staggered to say U18s 19/21 22/25 .
Then our younger fans would possibly keep coming.
As they'd be allowed to buy alcohol then the club would get money back through other sales.

On the subject of crowds ( or lack of ) where the bloody hell were the floaters Monday ?... Preston brought about 2,800 so that meant there were less than 10k home. Nice sunny day, bank holiday , important match against Lancashire rivals....its piss poor all round.

Have to agree, Hindley

Zimmerman and Steipermann were signed from the lower levels in Germany. Which shows you can find players in any league, at any level if they suit the requirements of the system the manager wants to play. We signed 3 strikers under 5 "10 and wanted to use them as target men. Pukki was signed from the very poor Danish league and has been brilliant at this level.

They spent half their budget on Ben Marshall and Moritz Leitner, Marshall was sent on loan to Millwall and Leitner has feature in less then half their games. Buendía was an excellent signing. Tim Krul on a free was a good signing for his experience as well.

Their wages will be far superior to ours, due to them being in the premier league more recently then we were. They didn't make the mistake of wasting their financial advantage.

Clarke, he deserves at least a one year deal, with a clause of an extra year if he starts 60% our games next season. He's created almost as many as Powell has this season with less starts. Powell started 23 creating 13, Clarkes started 18 creating 11. Last season Clarke started 38 creating 24 goals.

Clarkes 34 and he's still getting better, he doesn't lack pace. Which is usually the case for players his age, either that or struggling with injuries. He's had neither up to this point, also whilst he's more capable then any other attacking threat we've had this season he should be kept until we find a better player. If Cook can get him to strengthen his upper body in pre-season he could have a very good season next year.

When Clarke puts a shift in he's quite a good player. I've been shocked at how quick he is when he decideds he wants to chase something - but could do with throwing his weight around a bit more.

3 goals in open play and 2 assists + virtually another against Bristol from 9 starts and he should've easily had another few goals (wrongly disallowed Norwich winner, plus a couple of misses which were his own fault).

One thing i think you can really see is when the ball is in the box his movement off the ball and timing of his runs is miles ahead of Grigg, Garner, Vaughan and all the other strikers we've had reccently. There is a real strikers instinct in him. I think he benefitted Massively from having Massey around him in the last few games.

About 10 days ago i didn't think i'd ever say it but i'd probably offer him a one year deal now...there is a player in there and if we can get him to work he has something to offer.

Just read that Terry Sheringham has turned down the QPR job........does anyone think he might be a good fit for Wigan,if not now then possibly in the future

When Clarke puts a shift in he's quite a good player. I've been shocked at how quick he is when he decideds he wants to chase something - but could do with throwing his weight around a bit more.

3 goals in open play and 2 assists + virtually another against Bristol from 9 starts and he should've easily had another few goals (wrongly disallowed Norwich winner, plus a couple of misses which were his own fault).

One thing i think you can really see is when the ball is in the box his movement off the ball and timing of his runs is miles ahead of Grigg, Garner, Vaughan and all the other strikers we've had reccently. There is a real strikers instinct in him. I think he benefitted Massively from having Massey around him in the last few games.

About 10 days ago i didn't think i'd ever say it but i'd probably offer him a one year deal now...there is a player in there and if we can get him to work he has something to offer.

I can definitely see your logic there KDZ, and there's no argument re the goals & assists, but I can only agree do far re the "real striker's instinct in him".

Yes, he gets in decent position, and he does have a deceptive turn of speed, but in front of goal (regardless of how many he has got), he should have had a few more.

On saturday, he should definitely have had at least one more (the cross-box ball), probably two (the one on one) and maybe three (weak shot from 10 yard out).

I do though acknowledge that he's worked better with the other players around him than any of the other previous options (maybe Grigg excepted).

He ain't no fox in the box though.

Really Charlz? With what track record?

Track record is just one piece of a large puzzle when picking managers. I don't know whether he'd be a good fit for us or not, but I wouldn't write him off purely on the basis that he doesn't have prior managerial experience.

Track record is just one piece of a large puzzle when picking managers. I don't know whether he'd be a good fit for us or not, but I wouldn't write him off purely on the basis that he doesn't have prior managerial experience.
I wasn't writing him off Will .........more puzzled that anyone should think of him as a candidate in the first place.

Let's face it, much of the criticism of Cook this season is his lack of experience at this level ........regardless of all his success in L1 & L2.

If I was drawing up a list of potential managers who might be a good fit for us, I don't think he'd be in the top 20.

No offence Charlz.

Just read that Terry Sheringham has turned down the QPR job........does anyone think he might be a good fit for Wigan,if not now then possibly in the future

Think he needs to prove himself abit first, his record at the moment isn't great.

Should he go elsewhere and do well then who knows however right now I dont see it personally bud