Contract offers and new signings | Vital Football

Contract offers and new signings

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
SE apparently made offers to some of his targets over a week ago but no news on signings as yet.

Are they waiting to see if something better comes along?

Lets hope we get some good news soon.

It's possible that most are technically still under contract with other clubs so any announcement will be made once those contracts have expired.
As long as the bulk of the squad is in situ for pre-season, then I'm not currently concerned.
We may introduce the new signings in one block, as Bristol Rovers did.

But SE was saying 10 days ago that he expected some news last week.

Not sure about the rumoured pursuit of 35 year old Chambers. Apart from age he might undermine Dempsey as captain.

Playing cricket at the weekend, I was speaking to a guy who is friends with the Chambers family (his brother played at Thrapston) and the rest are still local.
Seems a fairly done deal that he will be with us next season as has been reported.

Playing cricket at the weekend, I was speaking to a guy who is friends with the Chambers family (his brother played at Thrapston) and the rest are still local.
Seems a fairly done deal that he will be with us next season as has been reported.
Every one has been saying we need more experience in defence. There’s no more experienced than him .

Every one has been saying we need more experience in defence. There’s no more experienced than him .

i think he will be a cracking signing provided he’s not coming for a final season pension collection and still wants to make an impact as a player

i think he will be a cracking signing provided he’s not coming for a final season pension collection and still wants to make an impact as a player
Could be a Adam Barrett type after all we have finished very closely to Ipswich in both the last two seasons. Looking to put one over on his old team.Finishing above Ipswich again will almost certainly put us in the mix.

Tom O'Connor released by Southampton
I would think we might have made some sort of offer.But I doubt Evans would be that upset if he goes elsewhere. Could develop into a good player .But not a guaranteed starter and they must be a priority.

I would think we might have made some sort of offer.But I doubt Evans would be that upset if he goes elsewhere. Could develop into a good player .But not a guaranteed starter and they must be a priority.

I agree. A positive addition if we get him as is quite versatile but there will be others equally good if we don't. I would like us to get Slattery back if possible

Tom O’Connor is a steady player, and IMO given a run of games he could be a very good player. I’m hopeful he returns bulks up and can develop as Ogilive did.
At 22 it would have to be by the end of next season or he leaves on a free the following year I think. I think there is better prospects out there admittedly perhaps more of a gamble. I would think that as I said there will be a offer in for him .But I would be surprised if we compete for his signature.
The other question is if he is seen as a left back or utility player? This might be important to the player he will probably have his own ideas that may or may not be the same as the managers. With Jackson at right back we possibly need a dependable left back who does most of his best work in defence. However that will depend on the wide left situation as well.

Last edited:
Yes I think the fact that he can play in several positions and that Evans seems to like him having signed him twice already means there’s a good chance we will sign him, providing wages can be agreed.

I fully expect O'Connor to sign. Evans rates him as he's signed him on loan twice.

I'm not fussed but fully accept Evans knows more about this game than me.

If we are to take that step up , to reach the play-offs we need more than 'just ok or potential'.
To reach the next level we need a team full of good players.
Mediocre won't get there.

If we are to take that step up , to reach the play-offs we need more than 'just ok or potential'.
To reach the next level we need a team full of good players.
Mediocre won't get there.
Let’s look through how can we improve.

We need replacements for Bonham and Samuel. Both disappointed this season so I think it’s likely we’ll find better replacements.

We need someone as good as Ogilvie and Cunde to replace them.

Graham’s a weird one as we often played worse with him in the side.

I think O’Connor is a victim of his own versatility.
Give him a run of games as a left back or centre back and I reckon he could develop into a good player.
He never let us down wherever he played.
At least he never got caught out of position or caught ball watching as much as Ogilvie.
I would be happy if we signed him.