Conte is staying.... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Conte is staying....

Love your thought process with Kane. He really needs to have that pedestal removed. We all put him on it, and encouraged that complacency we now see from him. Now it is time to make him earn the right to be back on it for club and country. A new kid on the block at both club and country level would be good for Harry. Perhaps it will extract the humility that is missing and get him to knuckle down again.

As for Dier and Davies, it's not a decade but I do agree that neither has experienced a trophy. Neither has Kane, but I notice you don't mention him in that context. Dier or Davies didn't turn up for a Euro's final, wearing the captain's armband and didn't cross the white line with a filthy attitude. That is because they haven't got that in their DNA, despite neither being as talented as Harry.

I'll leave it there.
Signing the likes of Perisic is going to steal some of his thunder.

How do you mean Top?
I'm referring to the constant snipping at Kane, I'm just like everyone else on this forum when it comes to Kane's behaviour last summer.
I will also concede that he's not had his best season as far as goal return is concerned, but 17 goal and 9 assists cannot be classed as a poor return.
But almost every thread regardless of topic turns into a snipe at him, and his perceived lack of effort.
The reason I think that's disrespectful of Conte is, does anyone seriously think Conte would put up with that?
I recall Kane being criticised 4 may be 5yrs ago for throwing himself into a tackle and turning his ankle over, people were saying that he shouldn't be risking injury like that.
How do we know that Conte has not asked him to play like that, he's our only central striker. Do you really want him running around like a lunatic, because we have no suitable replacement he's being asked to play every game. How does it help the team him running himself into the ground and not being available for the next game.
I just don't believe Conte is unhappy with him, if that is the case maybe we should ask why.
Much as I was disappointed with Kane, at this point I would rather get behind him and not snipe at him on every post.

I'm referring to the constant snipping at Kane, I'm just like everyone else on this forum when it comes to Kane's behaviour last summer.
I will also concede that he's not had his best season as far as goal return is concerned, but 17 goal and 9 assists cannot be classed as a poor return.
But almost every thread regardless of topic turns into a snipe at him, and his perceived lack of effort.
The reason I think that's disrespectful of Conte is, does anyone seriously think Conte would put up with that?
I recall Kane being criticised 4 may be 5yrs ago for throwing himself into a tackle and turning his ankle over, people were saying that he shouldn't be risking injury like that.
How do we know that Conte has not asked him to play like that, he's our only central striker. Do you really want him running around like a lunatic, because we have no suitable replacement he's being asked to play every game. How does it help the team him running himself into the ground and not being available for the next game.
I just don't believe Conte is unhappy with him, if that is the case maybe we should ask why.
Much as I was disappointed with Kane, at this point I would rather get behind him and not snipe at him on every post.

I don't think it's disrespectful to Conte at all. He isn't a Spurs fan at the end of the day.

Is it sniping or an assessment on a player? I agree there is some sniping but in the main I would say it's just an honest assessment about a players work ethic.

There are plenty of stats to prove a case he doesn't give 100%.

You don't have to run around like a lunatic to prove a point either. It's more subtle like 50/50 challenges, sprints per game, movement off the ball against teams that park the bus, pressing with some intent.

I think most now want him to sign a new deal. So the tide may well be turning.

I don't think it's disrespectful to Conte at all. He isn't a Spurs fan at the end of the day.

Is it sniping or an assessment on a player? I agree there is some sniping but in the main I would say it's just an honest assessment about a players work ethic.

You don't have to run around like a lunatic to prove a point either. It's more subtle like 50/50 challenges, sprints per game, movement off the ball against teams that park the bus, pressing with some intent.

Fair points

I mostly want to see Conte get more attacking options, not less. Said this before but signing Eriksen would give us another number 10 option and remove the burden on Harry. Then there is the requirement for another number 9 at the club. Not sure who that can be because the logical ones like Nunez seemed to have hefty price tags.

Once we have those 2 or 3 players in, we will hopefully see a different Harry. One that is well rested between games and can be subbed after 75 mins. Then there will be no excuses for the work rate issue we all clearly see. Centre forwards should always be making themselves available. Harry doesn't, as well as the other things you said.

One thing is for certain though. If Spurs are going to reach new heights then we can't do that with Harry just playing within himself. We need all of him, not part of him.

I mostly want to see Conte get more attacking options, not less. Said this before but signing Eriksen would give us another number 10 option and remove the burden on Harry. Then there is the requirement for another number 9 at the club. Not sure who that can be because the logical ones like Nunez seemed to have hefty price tags.

Once we have those 2 or 3 players in, we will hopefully see a different Harry. One that is well rested between games and can be subbed after 75 mins. Then there will be no excuses for the work rate issue we all clearly see. Centre forwards should always be making themselves available. Harry doesn't, as well as the other things you said.

One thing is for certain though. If Spurs are going to reach new heights then we can't do that with Harry just playing within himself. We need all of him, not part of him.

As I said before, and now I'm sure of it, Eriksen has ruled himself out of rejoining us.

We all really need to take a step back from denigrating our players - much of what we saw in the first half of the season was reflection of out coaching appointments; players didn't buy into it and it is no more difficult than that.

Jose is the only manager in recent memory (despite being backed) who for two seasons didn't get us into the Top 4, an dplayed some of the worst football we'v eever seen, - that has an after effect.

Conte believes that Dier is one of if not will be the best English CB in the league - as do I, he is a natural leader and organiser and doesn't shirk responsibility, what he's had is two under-performing and under-whelming CB's alongside him for two long - that has now changed, as has our results.

Conte also states that if he'd had this squad for a pre-season and all season that we'd have been pressing for honours - even though he too believes a Top4 in this league is the equivelant of silverware himself.

Maybe we should give a bit more respect to his opinions and achievements. It's easy to talk about and critise PL player and football, it's a but more complicated and difficult to be one, let along coach them.

Last edited:
As I said before, and now I'm sure of it, Eriksen has ruled himself out of rejoining us.

We all really need to take a step back from denigrating our players - much of what we saw in the first half of the season was reflection of out coaching appointments; players didn't buy into it and it is no more difficult than that.

Jose is the only manager in recent memory (despite being backed) who for two season didn't get us into the Top 4 - that has an after effect.

Conte believes that Dier is one of if not will be the best English CB in the league - as doI, he is a natural leader and organising and doesn't shirk responsibility, what he's had is two under-performinga dn under-whelming CB's alongside him for two long - that has now changed, as has our results.

Conte also states that if he'd had this squad for a pre-season and all season taht we'd have been pressing for honours - even though he too believes a Top4 in this league is the equivelant of silverware himself.

Maybe we should give a bit more respect to his opinions and achievements. It's easy to talk about and critise PL player and football, it's a but more complicated and difficult to be one, let along coach them.

Are we looking for a problem where there isn't one here? It's a football forum.

Denigrating is a bad word as it implies "unfairly". A football forum exists to express an opinion based on what you see with your own eyes, knowing you don't have the inside track. Whether it is Dier, Kane, Emerson or Conte, the conversation on VS has always seemed balanced in my opinion. It mostly comes from the perspective that fans want us to get better and better.

I also don't think Conte has had much more than endearment from the fans this season. Of course fans will question his team selections and tactics at times but we all know directionally we are on a good trajectory with him. Eventually, he could become Mr Spurs in the same way as Klopp is Mr pool and Pep is Mr Man City. They weren't that after 8 months either.

I know you're not interested in my opinion, but i liked your post because IMO it was balanced.

Are we looking for a problem where there isn't one here? It's a football forum.

Denigrating is a bad word as it implies "unfairly". A football forum exists to express an opinion based on what you see with your own eyes, knowing you don't have the inside track. Whether it is Dier, Kane, Emerson or Conte, the conversation on VS has always seemed balanced in my opinion. It mostly comes from the perspective that fans want us to get better and better.

I also don't think Conte has had much more than endearment from the fans this season. Of course fans will question his team selections and tactics at times but we all know directionally we are on a good trajectory with him. Eventually, he could become Mr Spurs in the same way as Klopp is Mr pool and Pep is Mr Man City. They weren't that after 8 months either.

Well, we call it as we see it; I do think that often the views expressed here are 'unfair and unwarranted'...but you read it, digest it and move on - sometimes it will move my opinon, other times not.

I love VS, but calling the debate here as always balanced, can at times be a bit of stretch.

The bottom line is we 'debate' 'opinionate' and hope for the best; some see the big picture, some only see what they want to see, some see somewhere in between...

In any event, we agree or disagree, we carry on and move forward.

Last edited: