Conor Chaplin | Vital Football

Conor Chaplin

pompeyrug

Alert Team
No not that religious kind, then again that is Chaplain and not Chaplin, right? I am talking about Conor Chaplin!

Yes, I get the fact that he is still 'very young' and 'very raw' blah, blah, blah, but if he is considered good enough to be a part of the 1st team squad lets give the guy more of a chance - after all he is out future is he not?

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=551944#ixzz3VPFRM7VW" target="blank"><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Thought you were referring to Charlie, Rug - he'd fit in with the other 'charlies' :16:

I just worry for young talent if things go wrong and it turns nasty. I wouldn't want a promising youngster to be caught up in any vitriolic crossfire intended for the manager and more senior under-performing squad members. Not trying to stir anything up you understand, far from it, just saying.................

No, fully understand what you are saying Emsworthian and you make a valid point.

In the main I would think that most would sooner see a move like this though wouldn't they? 'One of our own' so to speak being given more of a chance, someone that IS part of our future, over someone that isn't?

That being said we don't have too many strikers that AREN'T under contract for next season anyway do we, you tend to think that Ryan Taylor will, and rightly so, get offered a new deal at least...

Conor Chaplin has played bits here and there this season but on Saturday he made his full debut when given a start alongside Matt Tubbs in the draw with York.

Will this pairing work throughout a season? It had its moment but I would have to say no I think as there's a lack of physical presence and I feel that you need this at most levels, most definitely league two but I think it shows we've got another exciting young player coming through that has ability, isn't afraid to get stuck in, can do something on the ball and knows where the goal is.

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=553221#ixzz3ZFeEjOuM" target="blank"><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

In the higher divisions in front of a creative midfield it could work. Miles apart I know but witness the Barcelona Tippy Tappy football, no physical presence whatsoever but very effective. With the midfield we have at our disposal at the moment and the spineless referees at this level, not a chance. As has been said on other threads, we were bullied off the pitch on several occasions and never got the chance to get the ball down and play. I still think that Taylor paired with either Tubbs or Chaplin may work!

Agreed Emsworthian, Taylor with ANOther is the way forward, no.1 partner would of course be Tubbs but I could see Chaplin playing a decent role next season.

Tubbs and Chaplin definitely wouldn't have the physical presence to work as a pairing in L2.

Tubbs and Chaplin in the last game showed enough together that they could work as a pairing in this league. I would prefer Taylor + 1 too or another decent target man brought in... not sure if the young lad from West Ham fits the bill but he certainly has the size. Eddie Howe seemed to nail it at Bournemouth using a little and large combination with Fletcher playing and providing the muscle and focal point, Taylor would need to man up a bit to be a great target man but I would think that is a good blueprint for Pompey to follow.

Quite simply get it DONE!

There's talk of Conor Chaplin getting a new deal? I say forget the talk just get it done!

What's more PLEASE make sure if we include any 'release clause' we put it higher than we did for Jed Wallace...although I would guess we've stacked this heavily with potential 'sell-on' bonuses coming our way if/when he leaves Wolves?

Chaplin, who looks the dogs dangly bits to be honest, is getting closer and closer to a spot in Paul Cook's 1st team as a regular I'm certain. Yep he's 'a little guy' but for a little guy he puts it about, he showed against Exeter that he's got strength as well as ability!

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=556541#ixzz3klw2lkWY' target='blank'><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Absolutely Emsworthian, Owen and Defoe two of this countries top goalscorers of all time and both little guys!

Chaplin, NOT that I'm saying he'll be in their class - but you never know, is going to be awesome I reckon, another little one to look out for is Armstrong, the Newcastle striker on loan at Coventry at the mo.

Double delight for Chaplin

If you're a striker you'll ultimately get judged on the goals you score but the modern day striker does more than 'just score goals' right?

Conor Chaplin managed to get the goals and put in a shift against Barnet when his first league start of the season saw him come away with a couple of goals, although he knows we should have scored more really!

He, quite easily really, could have had a hat-trick as he missed a chance before his first goal that you already expect him to be scoring, then again anyone would have been expected to score that one...

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=556826#ixzz3lozVAVQ8' target='blank'><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Chaplin Barnet MOTM and offside controversy!

As the title says, we look at the Pompey MOTM from the 3-1 win against Barnet at the weekend, although this also came with a little controversy with an offside that wasn't given!

First up the man of the match itself though...

From your watching experience be that at the Park or a listening one from ExpressFM or the Pompey Player, VP was looking for your views on who you thought was the MOTM from this win?

Having bagged himself a couple of goals, and in fairness put in a good all round shift, this was given to Conor 'he's one of our own' Chaplin! Who, to be honest I would have just about given this to myself.

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=556891#ixzz3lyiVUoh8' target='blank'><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Chaplin commits!

Conor Chaplin, assuming he sees out this contract - as I suspect he will, will remain 'one of our own' until the summer of 2018 at least with his signing a new contract!

It's been spoken about, by both Paul Cook and Chaplin himself, for the past week or so and now we know without a shadow of a doubt this is a done deal as his new 3-year deal was confirmed on portsmouthfc.co.uk today.

Awesome news and a great way to kick off the week!

Having scored 4-goals already this season, you tend to feel - fitness permitting and the chances coming his way - he'll get anywhere between 10-20 at least, not putting on too much pressure mind...

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=557028#ixzz3mNGzywIF' target='blank'><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Really good news. I hope we climb the pyramid at the same pace as his ability/ aspirations.

But if not, at least we can get a decent fee for him.