Confessions of prejudice | Page 2 | Vital Football

Confessions of prejudice

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
Prepared - 7/7/2013 17:02

I hate people.

because they have small minded views about homosexuality, race and creed.

That's all very well, but where do
You stand on cheese , stop avoiding the question.

Trekker - 7/7/2013 17:53

Prepared - 7/7/2013 17:02

I hate people.

because they have small minded views about homosexuality, race and creed.

That's all very well, but where do
You stand on cheese , stop avoiding the question.

:10: JF has issues with cheese I remember though I don't know if it is issues or prejudice. Best JF answering that

Bald people are odd and those who shave their heads even weirder.

That's me nicely alienated lol

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 7/7/2013 17:28

BodyButter - 7/7/2013 17:23

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 8/7/2013 02:08

iPhone users tend to be a bit weird. I'm prejudiced against them.

Luckily, Apple seems to be going Bebo. I think most iPhone users are switching to better phones now. It won't be long before everyone sees Steve Jobs for what he was.

His life story is being made into a Film, with Ashton Kucher starring. It will be interesting to see how true to life it will be. I bet it's toned down a bit.

If you wanna see a decent Steve Jobs/Apple/Microsoft film watch ' Pirates of Silicon Valley'. Its from about 1993 but was said to be pretty good and spot on. Stephen Wozniak, co founder of Apple, said this new one that's coming out is basically shite and not realistic.

I judge people who judge people.

Apart from judges, they are paid to judge and so I don't judge them and I hope not to have to be judged.

If someone came to me for a role in sales in my industry and they had facial tattoos and or piercingly I wouldn't consider them for the job as I know they wouldn't be accepted in our business.
Therefore I make a judgement.
If the tattoos weren't visible in normal business suits then that's entirely different.
I would also ask a male not to wear an earring if they were in a sales role as again it wouldn't be accepted.
He could wear one outside of his work if he wished of course.
Moan a you like it's real life.

I find myself agreeing with Trekker (as usual).

The only way I would have someone with tattoo's or piercings representing my business, is if I didnt know they had them (ie: they weren't visible when wearing general workwear)

As a customer i would definately judge some as unproffesional if they turned up to meet me and:

had visible tattoos
had visible piercings
sported a stupid hairdoo
wore innappropriate clothing
spoke poor english (if it was their first language)

*bearing in mind I work in global scale manufacturing and production - I do not work in music, the arts, nightclubs etc.... In which case I would undoubtedly have a different outlook.

Pregnant women.

No im not opening a door for you or picking up your fucking shopping. You chose to disable yourself in that way so suck it up and stop being such a pussy.

This also leads to:

People with children.

Oh I need to leave early today cause I have to pick my kids up from school.
Oh really? Well I drank too much at lunch and I need to go home early too, guess who gets to go and who doesn't.

You chose to have kids, I chose to drink too much - Neither of us should automatically get extra rights and privileges because of it.

Ive got loads more, but im busy at work, covering for all the women on fucking maternity leave.

If I was employing I'd certainly not hire anyone with a goatee as I would think they were still in the 1970's...

:17: :17: :17: :17:

But yes, of course, for certain jobs, facial piercings / tattoos etc because no matter how much we would like to think people are more intelligent than they are, unfortunately people are only just about bright enough to judge a book by its cover.

RosettaStoned - 8/7/2013 09:53

Pregnant women.

No im not opening a door for you or picking up your fucking shopping. You chose to disable yourself in that way so suck it up and stop being such a pussy.

This also leads to:

People with children.

Oh I need to leave early today cause I have to pick my kids up from school.
Oh really? Well I drank too much at lunch and I need to go home early too, guess who gets to go and who doesn't.

You chose to have kids, I chose to drink too much - Neither of us should automatically get extra rights and privileges because of it.

Ive got loads more, but im busy at work, covering for all the women on fucking maternity leave.

I think it's the law now that companies have to look into and offer if at all viable (and it always is) flexible working for parents.

However, a woman at our place has this year had 47 full days off, and left at 3pm everyday last week, because her son has asthma and he's either been off sick or she's had to collect him from school.

He's 16 years old!!!

The Fear - 8/7/2013 09:57

If I was employing I'd certainly not hire anyone with a goatee as I would think they were still in the 1970's...

But yes, of course, for certain jobs, facial piercings / tattoos etc because no matter how much we would like to think people are more intelligent than they are, unfortunately people are only just about bright enough to judge a book by its cover.

It's true J , the first MD I worked for in this industry didn't allow facial hair at all in his sales force.
I've actually only sported this for a relatively short time, and it started due to a rash.
And yes it may well annoy you about tattoos and facial piercing (again, visible eg on face and neck) but its not about intelligence , he is a very intelligent person, but his target audience wouldn't accept it. So if anything he was far more intelligent to meet his market needs.
:14:

Cut off really, unless a dire emergency where the school suggest a trip to A&E should be 15. All of them by them should be more than capable of trusted to take care of themselves and I'm probably being generous in saying 15 and not younger.

As for me and the thread - dogma of any sort, and yes I appreciate that also makes me a hypocrite when I get on my soapbox and start banging on.

People who wear vests in public (apart from around a pool on holiday or in the gym when hot maybe)

Trekker - 8/7/2013 10:19

The Fear - 8/7/2013 09:57

It's true J , the first MD I worked for in this industry didn't allow facial hair at all in his sales force.
I've actually only sported this for a relatively short time, and it started due to a rash.
And yes it may well annoy you about tattoos and facial piercing (again, visible eg on face and neck) but its not about intelligence , he is a very intelligent person, but his target audience wouldn't accept it. So if anything he was far more intelligent to meet his market needs.
:14:

I believe brian little had the same rule for his players. they had to be cleanly shaven on matchdays. I dunno if this was a rule he created himself or if he had the same rule when he was a player, forced by his manager. I can see the logic though, they are representing the club and he wants them looking smart - I'm sure most clubs have rules about attire and appearance on matchdays. Funnily enough the best dressed team I recall seeing are always man Utd who arrive in suits and ties (as opposed to tracksuits, headphones etc...) so maybe there is a logic in it?

As trekker says though, it's not necassarily the managers prejudice against tattoos beards etc... but more that he's thinking about what customers or colleagues might think. generally in business there is a etiquette to adhere to and that can be carried across the globe, throughout all cultures and expectations.

The Fear - 8/7/2013 10:32

People who wear vests in public (apart from around a pool on holiday or in the gym when hot maybe)

and of course randy's uncle who has special dispensation.

The amount of blokes walking around Twycross Zoo yesterday without any tops on at all was disgraceful. it's not even accepted to do that when off the beach in Spain, Greece, Italy etc... so why the freaking hell do people think it's okay to do it here?