Conference Championship 1987-88 Part 4 - City Embark On A Fantastic Unbeaten Run - HAVE A READ! | Vital Football

Conference Championship 1987-88 Part 4 - City Embark On A Fantastic Unbeaten Run - HAVE A READ!

Top read again. Bringing that season back to life.

One slight point though..........the words Barnet and cultured in close proximity???..........not sure about that

Excellent read as always, bringing back memories even though most of these games were followed remotely via the saviour of 'Welcome to Non-League Club Call!' I can still hear that voice over 30 years on! No updates on final score and well out of Radio Lincs range in those days before the internet.

Thanks for these, Jules!!

Sadly, apart from that glorious afternoon against Wycombe at the end of the season, I can barely remember any of the games I went to that season and this is a great little series that brings it back to life.

It's funny things you forget – I never realised Batch missed so many games in goal through injury, and that Wilson played nearly a dozen games. I could have sworn Batch played nearly every match. It's ironic as well that Batch left at the end of that season and went to Darlington and repeated the feat of winning the Conference again. Can anyone remember why he left Lincoln?

And I never knew Wilson had been a New Zealand international regular.

I always thought a very young Paul Furlong scored the winner for Enfield in the Trophy QF ... my memory must be playing tricks? 🤔 Still say Wilson dropped it rather than it being McGinley’s fault.

It's ironic as well that Batch left at the end of that season and went to Darlington and repeated the feat of winning the Conference again. Can anyone remember why he left Lincoln?

Batch was offered a new contract at the end of the season and played in that summer's pre-season friendlies until he lost his place to the newly-signed Mark Wallington. About four games into the new season he went on loan to Darlington (then still in the Fourth Division) after they lost two keepers to injuries. Colin Murphy said: "I would think his long term future is still with Lincoln City". In December his move to Darlington was made permanent for a fee of £5,000.

I'm enjoying these. For Wilson I thought the article was quite generous, my memory of him is that his kicking was a liability and other players took the goal kicks for him.