Concussion game changer is ready .. | Vital Football

Concussion game changer is ready ..

Spursex

Alert Team
Concussion diagnostic test using saliva is a ‘real game changer’
News and reactions from the world of sport, including a new ban for ex-Fifa president Sepp Blatter
Mike Starling
26 Mar 2021

Rugby saliva test trial 94% accurate

A three-year trial in elite men’s rugby union has found that concussion can be accurately diagnosed using a pitchside saliva test.

In the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons, samples were taken from 156 Premiership and Championship players who had head injury assessments. Using “microscopic DNA markers in saliva” the tests predicted the conventional assessment result with 94% accuracy.

Described as a “real game changer”, the study was led by the University of Birmingham in collaboration with the Rugby Football Union, Premiership Rugby, and Marker Diagnostics. The research has been published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

The method of using saliva samples paves the way for the first non-invasive clinical test for concussion for use in sport and other settings. Dr Simon Kemp, the RFU’s medical services director, told BBC Sport that the study’s findings were “incredibly exciting” and said the potential for the test was “far bigger than rugby”.

that sounds great.

We've had a fair few concussion issues (Hugo and Jan being most noticeable). Anything to help in this area is much needed.

The long term effects of concussions are still being researched but even in the last couple of years they're seeing more and more evidence linking neurological conditions when you're older to concussions when you were younger. Close to my heart as my dad had a bad concussion as a kid and developed Parkinson's as an adult when his sibling didn't.

some data from last year:

Concussion was associated with a significantly increased risk of all four disorders: by 57% for Parkinson’s, by 39% for ADHD, by 72% for MADs, and by 72% for dementia.

Females had a significantly higher risk of ADHD (by 28%) and MADs (by 7%) following a concussion than did males, whereas no sex-based differences were found in concussion risk for Parkinson’s or dementia.

Having more than one concussion didn’t affect ADHD risk. However, having two concussions significantly increased the risk of dementia (by 62% compared to just one concussion), and having more than three significantly increased the risk of Parkinson’s (by over 200%) and mood and anxiety disorders (by 22%) compared to one concussion.

that sounds great.

We've had a fair few concussion issues (Hugo and Jan being most noticeable). Anything to help in this area is much needed.

The long term effects of concussions are still being researched but even in the last couple of years they're seeing more and more evidence linking neurological conditions when you're older to concussions when you were younger. Close to my heart as my dad had a bad concussion as a kid and developed Parkinson's as an adult when his sibling didn't.

Concussion was associated with a significantly increased risk of all four disorders: by 57% for Parkinson’s, by 39% for ADHD, by 72% for MADs, and by 72% for dementia.

Females had a significantly higher risk of ADHD (by 28%) and MADs (by 7%) following a concussion than did males, whereas no sex-based differences were found in concussion risk for Parkinson’s or dementia.

Having more than one concussion didn’t affect ADHD risk. However, having two concussions significantly increased the risk of dementia (by 62% compared to just one concussion), and having more than three significantly increased the risk of Parkinson’s (by over 200%) and mood and anxiety disorders (by 22%) compared to one concussion.

Got to be honest, having had two bad concussions in my playing days, that makes for a pretty depressing read lol! but none the less very informative thanks FF!

that sounds great.

Thanks for that, really has made my day lol! joking of course, makes you think and even worry, I had a major concussion, fractured skull, another story, back in the day, I was out for 3 months, should I be worried for my future?

ah, sorry for the depressing read guys - I must stress that was just a random article I came across on the topic and know there are multiple studies ongoing atm so not necessarily to be taken as gospel!

Also a 57% increased risk of Parkinsons probably means you go from a 2% chance to a 3% chance and it's still more about your genetics than whether or not you suffered concussions from my limited knowledge.

ah, sorry for the depressing read guys - I must stress that was just a random article I came across on the topic and know there are multiple studies ongoing atm so not necessarily to be taken as gospel!

Also a 57% increased risk of Parkinsons probably means you go from a 2% chance to a 3% chance and it's still more about your genetics than whether or not you suffered concussions from my limited knowledge.

It's a good article, does make you think how on earth football will have to evolve to stop this happening?

It's a good article, does make you think how on earth football will have to evolve to stop this happening?

Well, it is called football. If the head was the same as handball ? Is 5 a side still not above shoulder height ? The initial thought is, it would spoil the game, but would it ? Also head injuries and constant jarring by heading the ball cant be ignored.

Well, it is called football. If the head was the same as handball ? Is 5 a side still not above shoulder height ? The initial thought is, it would spoil the game, but would it ? Also head injuries and constant jarring by heading the ball cant be ignored.

Agree Nick, adapted 5 a side rules will have to be adopted, but the effects of that could well negate corners/free kicks and can you imagine how if a rebound hits a head and goes in?

It's going to make for some interesting changes that's for sure.

Agree Nick, adapted 5 a side rules will have to be adopted, but the effects of that could well negate corners/free kicks and can you imagine how if a rebound hits a head and goes in?

I guess you'd also need to see the stats on concussions leading to long term damage with and without appropriate "treatment"

ie how many of those who got the neurological conditions actually rested properly after the concussion. We all know in football there's been a tendency to show how tough you are by shaking it off and carrying on over the years, but maybe you would massively reduce your long term risks if you instead followed proper guidelines. It's still all a bit under researched or at least under reported.

It would change the key physical assets required to be a footballer as well.

I'm thinking of those tall, physically strong centre forwards and defenders whose key attribute is their heading ability and strength to compete in the air. In fact, those type of footballers would become a liability because generally they're the weakest on the ground.

Football could become a game for small people.

It would change the key physical assets required to be a footballer as well.

I'm thinking of those tall, physically strong centre forwards and defenders whose key attribute is their heading ability and strength to compete in the air. In fact, those type of footballers would become a liability because generally they're the weakest on the ground.

Football could become a game for small people.

A new generation of Messi's and less physical lumps would be no bad thing for the entertainment factor I'd guess

Ex you obviously have strong feelings on the subject, so strong you posted it twice lol!