Compulsory Face Masks In The Supermarket | Page 2 | Vital Football

Compulsory Face Masks In The Supermarket

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
Shops have the right to exclude customers.I would think some will enforce that right.
My wife has only had one customer who has balked at the new way of doing things
This particular lady refused to use the hand sanitiser on entry so my missus refused her.
No doubt she has lost a customer but to be honest, everyone else has been brilliant.

I've not been wearing a mask but then I've not been anywhere that requires it.

If I pop into the corner shop I'll wear one out of respect for the other customers and the people who run that business.

Seems a bit odd that it isn't going to be required for a week or so. Is this to allow people to buy said items?

Seems a bit odd that it isn't going to be required for a week or so. Is this to allow people to buy said items?

You'd like to think that's the thinking behind it, but seeing as most of the government's plans so far seem to have been drawn up on the back of a fag packet then who knows. Any face covering will do apparently, when football is back the gate 13 youth will be all set with their Aquascutum scarves.

That is a dumb remark given the mask mainly protects others from you.You may ot may not be the most vulnerable who knows if their actions since the virus started might have caused others to be infected or even die.As you can have it with no symptoms we are told.This seems very believable given the spread of this virus.
An incredibly stupid remark from 666. Is it a whoosh maybe?

I've not been wearing a mask but then I've not been anywhere that requires it.

If I pop into the corner shop I'll wear one out of respect for the other customers and the people who run that business.

I was wondering if it's because it takes time to write up and pass legislation on such matters. You can't just make up a law to be enforced by police without it being passed in Parliament (usually anyway. Maybe some emergency legislation is whats getting these laws passed so quickly, it normally takes months, if not years). I believe there is a new covid19 act so I suppose this gives govt the power to pass these laws as part of that?
Just a guess, can't say I've been bothered enough to look it up.

Over here, the government's official policy seemed to vary in line with the general availability of masks. All the time they were hard to come by in the early days of lockdown, they insisted it wasn't necessary (I believe they may even have claimed at one stage that it was specifically not a good idea to wear one, not 100% sure of that now though). As time has passed and masks have become more widely available, the advice has gradually shifted to the current position, where you now have to wear one any time you're in an enclosed area (apart from your own home, obviously). In most of Spain, it's also compulsory to wear one outdoors if you can't ensure you can keep 2m away from people at all times (i.e. anywhere in a busy city centre, for example), and some of the worst-hit areas have now made masks compulsory outdoors regardless of whether it's possible to respect that distance.

The thing with wearing masks is the number of times people touch, adjust or move their mask up and down. There was a scientist guy on the tv the other night saying that as soon as you touch your mask with your your fingers you become far more likely to spread the virus (if you have it) to others by touching things others then touch than by not wearing a mask as it stays on things you touch a lot longer than it stays air born. Don't know how true this is.

As someone who hates wearing a mask, I reluctantly do in supermarkets, but if it is such a game changer now, Wtf didn't they just implement it when they said you needed to wear them on public transport. Again it seems like we're doing things after the horse has bolted.

Last edited:
Over here, the government's official policy seemed to vary in line with the general availability of masks. All the time they were hard to come by in the early days of lockdown, they insisted it wasn't necessary (I believe they may even have claimed at one stage that it was specifically not a good idea to wear one, not 100% sure of that now though). As time has passed and masks have become more widely available, the advice has gradually shifted to the current position, where you now have to wear one any time you're in an enclosed area (apart from your own home, obviously). In most of Spain, it's also compulsory to wear one outdoors if you can't ensure you can keep 2m away from people at all times (i.e. anywhere in a busy city centre, for example), and some of the worst-hit areas have now made masks compulsory outdoors regardless of whether it's possible to respect that distance.
I think that was mirrored just about everywhere as it was the advice given by the WHO at the time.
What I have trouble with is all these "experts" giving differing advice. I don't know which expert to believe 😳

Shops have the right to exclude customers.I would think some will enforce that right.
My niece works for Sainsbury's, and the exact words from the top are to 'encourage, not enforce'. Same as they were told previously about social-distancing and 'one person per household', and that was a farce. The amount of people in one aisle quite frightening at times, and families and groups inside in fours and fives at other times!

Last edited:
This government has made the mistake of following the science. These scientist's want to maintain their moment of fame, so they keep changing their advice and the Cabinet appear to be under their spell. I believe it is time to put them back in their box close the lid and return to what was normal. Stop furlough payments ASAP get everybody who still has a job back to work and face the problem head on. An other spike can be handled by reviving the Nightingale hospitals to provide extra beds if needed and the rest of us can get on with our lives. There is less than 1% of the population that has died, the young and fit are very unlikely to be affected. I am 72 in October I have had and am enjoying a good life, but we need a strong economy to pay for the NHS and other public spending, and it is the younger people who will provide the means. Let them free to return to work and also enjoy themselves. I don't call sitting at home waiting for the grim reaper living. I will be playing golf 3/4 times a week and going to the pub. Life is for living, and I want to live it to the full. In 1968/9 we had a pandemic called Hong Kong flu there were about 30,000 deaths in the UK. I asked some friends about it and like me the couldn't at first remember it(none of us has dementia):grinning: as no actions were taken to mitigate the effects, and it life just went on. Nobody bothered to asked the scientists.

Last edited:
This government has made the mistake of following the science. These scientist's want to maintain their moment of fame, so they keep changing their advice and the Cabinet appear to be under their spell. I believe it is time to put them back in their box close the lid and return to what was normal. Stop furlough payments ASAP get everybody who still has a job back to work and face the problem head on. An other spike can be handled by reviving the Nightingale hospitals to provide extra beds if needed and the rest of us can get on with our lives. There is less than 1% of the population that has died, the young and fit are very unlikely to be affected. I am 72 in October I have had and am enjoying a good life, but we need a strong economy to pay for the NHS and other public spending, and it is the younger people who will provide the means. Let them free to return to work and also enjoy themselves. I don't call sitting at home waiting for the grim reaper living. I will be playing golf 3/4 times a week and going to the pub. Life is for living, and I want to live it to the full. In 1968/9 we had a pandemic called Hong Kong flu there were about 30,000 deaths in the UK. I asked some friends about it and like me the couldn't at first remember it(none of us has dementia):grinning: as no actions were taken to mitigate the effects, and it life just went on. Nobody bothered to asked the scientists.

If this isn't a mega whoosh, remember that this person's vote is worth as much as yours.