Commuting | Vital Football

Commuting

randy.stand

Vital Champions League
Thought about it this week now i've started work. It annoys me more and seems to take longer for me to get from where we live to City Hospital on the Dudley Road than it takes me to get to Oldbury (where i did my last placement). I just hate traffic, really annoys me. Its the most miserable part of the day.

How much of the day are you commuting to and from work? Fear... you don't count seen as though you just roll out into your computer chair. :3:

It depends, it takes me 1:40 to get to my office if there's no traffic, but today my journey to a customer took over 3 hours each way. It's taking it's toll on me to be honest I do around 35/40k miles per annum and that's just the travel on roads. I often leave home around 6 and get home after 8. However, I can also have days where I stay at home so it's swings and roundabouts

10 minutes walk to the station , 20 minutes on the train to town , then 10 minutes walk to work.

If I go by car it can take an hour with loads more hassle.

I have it easy, 9 mile journey but virtually 60mph all the way, takes me around 11-13 minutes, also can come home for a bite to eat etc...

Last year it was 35 min drive and a 15 min walk which I hated

Use it as 'me' time randy.stand. Put a bit of music on, think, enjoy.

:35:

Then again, I love driving!

Believe me RS, you don't have it too bad, travel wise.

I spend as much time travelling as working. I work all over the place.

Today I was in Manchester. Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun i'm in Plymouth. Just been to Denmark for a week. Couple of months back was Singapore. I regularly go to Northern Ireland or Rep Ireland sometimes there and back in a day, sometimes stay longer..

I have even done a job in Madrid and gone there and back in a day.

That makes lots of long days and lots of nights in random hotels.

Little bit off topic but followed this learner driver today a young black lad was driving and I have never seen nothing like it.He just could not control the car at all the instructor had to keep grabbing the wheel to stop him hitting bollards and parked cars you would have thought he had drank 20 pints.Normally I'm quite impatient because he was only going 20mph but I was enthralled with his driving I was almost crying laughing in the end.Bet the instructor got out that car a bag of nerves.

gator - 21/1/2014 20:31

Little bit off topic but followed this learner driver today a young black lad was driving and I have never seen nothing like it.He just could not control the car at all the instructor had to keep grabbing the wheel to stop him hitting bollards and parked cars you would have thought he had drank 20 pints.Normally I'm quite impatient because he was only going 20mph but I was enthralled with his driving I was almost crying laughing in the end.Bet the instructor got out that car a bag of nerves.

LOL, That really made me laugh.

I think I would have followed too, just to see if he hit anything.

neilh111 - 21/1/2014 20:35

gator - 21/1/2014 20:31

LOL, That really made me laugh.

I think I would have followed too, just to see if he hit anything.
That's exactly what I was doing Neill one woman who was walking towards her car actually ran to get out the way because he veered that far over towards her car.

An hour each way for me. I have to be honest and say that if it wasn't for the predominantly Asian areas I have to drive through id half my journey time. That's not to be racist as I drive through pretty much every ethnic region the city has to offer. But their parking, lack of consideration, the fact that they feel they have to drop their kids outside the school gates and that putting hazard warning lights on means it's quite acceptable to hold everyone up while kiss them and wave and piss about drives me mental. My car horn has actually broken I use if so much. One day I will make the news for what I'm gonna do to one of these selfish bastards.

sirdennis - 21/1/2014 21:00

Not a natural then gator ?
I have never seen such poor driving in my life I should have filmed it bet the instructor needed a change of underwear.

Commuting is an odd one. Our old office was only 4 miles from me, but it took 40-45 minutes to get there. Our new one is 12 miles away and only takes 20 minutes.

I mush prefer to be moving, so now it's no problem. I used to hate being stuck in traffic.

I'm lucky, in that I can get there whenever I want, so don't usually leave until 9.30, so I miss the worst of the traffic as well. In addition, I usually work from home a couple of days a week.

I can't believe some of the journeys you boys make. You're better men than me, I have to tell you. I just couldn't do it.

Takes me about an hour to go 31 miles (and that's at 6am). get some good podcasts (hell i have some villa games i like to listen too over and over), audio books etc. Best time of the day for me.

I had to give up my job recently because of the commute. It was killing me with stress and tiredness. Up at 5-30am then back early from work, grumpy with my boys in the evening. The traffic here in Belgium is a nightmare and the driving even worse.

Lost_In_Ca - 21/1/2014 21:13

Takes me about an hour to go 31 miles (and that's at 6am). get some good podcasts (hell i have some villa games i like to listen too over and over), audio books etc. Best time of the day for me.

I can relate to this - been there myself..6am would have been my preferred travel time. Its quiet, its cold, its dark - but there is something to be said for that time on your own at that time of day. its has that tranquility about it..And it certainly brings back some good(and bad in a way) memories.

However my journey time now is less than 15mins on quiet country roads. - Again its a blessing and an enjoyment which im sure will also be a great memory for me when I reach my twilight years.

randy.stand - 21/1/2014 19:17

Thought about it this week now i've started work. It annoys me more and seems to take longer for me to get from where we live to City Hospital on the Dudley Road than it takes me to get to Oldbury (where i did my last placement). I just hate traffic, really annoys me. Its the most miserable part of the day.

How much of the day are you commuting to and from work? Fear... you don't count seen as though you just roll out into your computer chair. :3:

if i lived in town and worked at the city hospital i would seriously walk simon.

66 miles each way so 660 miles a week.

Takes about 1 hour 20 in the morning as I leave the house at 06:25 before the traffic builds.

About 1 hour 30 minutes on the way home.

I don't really mind the driving, never have done. I can switch off and just listen to the radio and it's fine. Traffic does my head in though if there has been an accident. Obviously more chance of this happening on such a long journey.

It's my car/wallet that I feel sorry for. 35k per annum means a service every 5 months on average. Then there's the tyres, not to mention just the astronomical price of fuel.

I reckon my shitty car costs about 6k a year to run. That's quite a chunk out of my wages percentage wise.

It used to take me 5-10 minutes from Great Barr to Newtown,but the company has moved to Kings Norton now,so it takes 25 mins at 5 am to get to work and anywhere from 45 mins to 1.5 hours to get home.
Now I`m back on nights for a bit,it`s 1 hour to get in and 20 mins to get home.
Christ knows how long it will take when the snow comes down.I`ll probably just stay at work until Friday !