Commuting | Page 2 | Vital Football

Commuting

Back in the late 90s I lived in Shirley and worked in Coventry, it was often just a 4hr shift. When I first started working there I didn't have a car so had to rely on public transport and with the poor way public transport coordinates from that side of Solihull with connections to Coventry and the walk I had at each end I spent 2 hours each way on my commute. Not fun. I got a car after a while and cut it down to about 4o mins each way.

Now I live just 10km (about 7 miles) from work, little traffic unless I travel at peak time, which I can usually avoid so 10-12 mins each way. Even better, I have a work use only company car so it costs me nothing, and as it's for work use only it's not even taxable. If I use it privately I could end up paying penalty taxes of up to £15000 plus back tax for the time I've have the vehicle. Needless to say, the closest I get to using it privately is to stop at the shop on the way home (not even a detour to the shop, just one on the way home......it's not worth the risk)

I got offered a job in Camden Town at the end of last year. They were going to pay for my travel passes (about 10k all in). My commute would have been drive to Solihull, train to Marylebone, bus to Camden (or two tubes).

I'd have taken home double the pay that I do now. But the 2.5 hours minimum (providing everything ran on time on days when I left on time) each way meant, after lots of discussion with family and a couple of sleepless nights, I turned it down.

I would have happily done the commute and read, listeded to music, done work etc... on the train. But the thought of leaving the house before anyone else woke in the morning and not being able to bath and put my kids to bed, was absolute torture. I began to hate the company that offered me the job in the first place! I felt guilty when I considered what others do for their work, soldiers inparticular, but i just couldnt do it.

if the kids were a lot older I'd have done it, or obviously if we hadnt had kids I'd have jumped at it. But the timing was just terrible.

With hindsight it was definately the right decision.

Why not move closer to Camden?

I live in Aldershot and work in Chertsey which is about 20 miles away. Traffic can be a pain on the M3 and M25 but i mainly use the back roads.

Moving was never an option, but commuting was, and I was very suprised how many people do it. Infact i would do it myself, but just not at the moment - maybe when my kids are in school (by then HS2 and improved transport will make it even easier)

I have no desire at all to move from the area I live though, and my missus would refuse to anyway. We have some of the best schools in the country and an excellent standard of living here, as well as lots of family very nearby.

It would have totally defeated the object to move to what would be an overpriced house in a poorer area with a overall lower standard of living and leave behind our family and friends.

They are all very good reasons for not moving! Personally i dont mind commuting either but i dont think id like to go that idstance every day. I have to travel around the country in my job and i like that i do it 3/4/5 times a month. I do have the option to stay over night but having a 10 month old boy i like to get home and see him in the morning. Even if it means a 500 mile round trip and 7 hours work during the day.

That's it mate. I start a new job in April and it will involving a lot more travel - but because it's occasional I dont mind, infact I'm quite looking forward to it. But everyday it would kill me, it's not what life is about is it?

Yeah the odd trips out make it a bit of a novetly and gives me a break from the norm. I don't mind the journies either as I just stick on talksport or some music. There is definitely more to life mate!!

I've been offered jobs paying 3 or 4 times what I was earning, but it meant commuting to London. I've turned them all down without a second thought, and I've never once regretted it.

I can think of nothing worse than travelling to that hole very day with the other rats in the rat race. I have to go a few times a year now, and that is more than enough.

Good decision James. You stay where you are.

If timed right which is a matter of luck it takes me 15mins from where I am in Brooklyn to my office in Manhattan...

Anywhere from 15-25 mins but there are off days every once in a while... When the subway was packed like today I had to wait for the third train which added another 15sh mins on my 20 mins...

Its no biggy compared to some of you poor sods... Personally living any further than 30mins is unthinkable...

James06 - 22/1/2014 14:12

I'd have taken home double the pay that I do now. But the 2.5 hours minimum (providing everything ran on time on days when I left on time) each way meant, after lots of discussion with family and a couple of sleepless nights, I turned it down.

You'd have been insane to take to that IMO...

People say they value their time but they dont, when you leave a 35k job doing 40 hours for a 45k job doing 60 you clearly do not value your time... You've just added another 50% of your time onto the original hours worked for another 25-30% of the original wage... Guess what you now work for less money per hour...

Money and time should be the factor to consider like you have... If your commute is over 30mins one way then I put that down with my hours worked as effort for the job...

7.5 miles. About 35 mins in 25 mins home. Cycle because it keeps me fit saves me parking costs and no stress about getting a parking space.

44 miles each way and at 6 am I can do it in 45 mins as its 40 miles of Motorway .
I don't hang about and try and stick at 80mph where and when possible, to get the 60mph average speed takes some doing I can tell you .
Coming home can be a night mare as the traffic is far worse

Thank fully start at 7am and finish at 3.30pm

It takes my partner 20+ mins to get the two miles to the City Hospital by car so I know where randy stand is coming from .
It sometimes takes her 30 mins to get home

Villan57 - 2/2/2014 19:40

It takes my partner 20+ mins to get the two miles to the City Hospital by car so I know where randy stand is coming from .

If that was me I think I'd walk it then, a nice bit of exercise and the journey would take about the same length of time.

Villan Of The North - 2/2/2014 18:49

If that was me I think I'd walk it then, a nice bit of exercise and the journey would take about the same length of time.

The Doctor tried to tell her that Ian , and he's still alive !
Seriously she is more disabled than half the ferkers who don't work .
She keeps on getting there though because it's what nurses do ie put others before themselves .

Used to be 10 minutes from the office (8 miles) now 30 miles away down the A2, leave at 6.45am get to office an hour later, leave office at 5.30pm get home by 7.00pm. Bit of a change but have got used to it, just a pain if the A2 is stuffed and the M25 is congested, but at the week end I have a nicer house, bigger garden, quieter life and..... not bad after a divorce to be honest.

I also actually quite enjoy the drive with radio on or mp3 etc

Something you guys should consider is listening to podcasts or audiobooks during your commute...

It could change your life and make the trips much more enjoyable... Try it... You can get free trial of audible.com which allows to have one free audiobook to see what its like...
Also there is a website with 100s of free audiobooks, I think its on coursera but not sure...

Try it guys trust me...

I take it you're not too knowledgable on the area surrounding City Hospital Ian?

I wouldnt advise anyone to walk around there unarmed!

James06 - 3/2/2014 13:35

I take it you're not too knowledgable on the area surrounding City Hospital Ian?

I wouldnt advise anyone to walk around there unarmed!

wouldnt walk a dog around there...

Its only a few streets away from 'benefit street' so theres an insight to what its like in that area. Shit hole.