Commentary: Steve Thompson OR Mark Hone? | Vital Football

Commentary: Steve Thompson OR Mark Hone?

I think Thommo analyses the games pretty well once they've got going. The problem is that he doesn't usually know who we're playing and often refers to the teams as whoever we played in the previous match! I like both but it was nice to hear how happy Hone was to be commentating on us.

Mark Hone has more about him I would say, although something about him gets on my nerves, no real idea why.
I don’t like him on interviews though as he just gives his opinion to the interviewee rather than asking an open question

Personally I would have rotation between a number of ex Lincoln players who must still reside in the local area. It keeps it fresh, Talk Sport started the rotation of presenters on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast and it works.

Today was very refreshing, as Mark certainly kept to the football theme rather than discussing words that may or may not appear in dictionaries and off piste in general non football related activity.

Mix it up, bit of both.

Would have loved to hear some if Thommo's comments on some of the cb play today- Montsma's run, with Walsh then picking up the ball deep in Fleetwood's half; Walsh's sublime control of the keeper's punt. " in my day.... "

Where was Thommo today?
Horton didn't even do the after match interviews. Hone did them. Never heard Thommo doing any aftermatch interviews.

Hone was superb today. It's like when you bring in a decent number 2 goalkeeper to keep the number 1 on their toes. Tommo now has to up his game I think

Not sure I like to have to choose to be honest. Neither are bad. In terms of being a better co-commentator Mark Hone seems to be a better all round package, but Thommo is extremely knowledgable, has plenty of past experience and stories and has great dynamic with Hortin.

Listening to other BBC commentaries, I think we have it very lucky

Both very different, Hone knows his stuff but is monotone and serious by comparison. There was something missing. Much of the game I listened to the away feed.

Not sure I like to have to choose to be honest. Neither are bad. In terms of being a better co-commentator Mark Hone seems to be a better all round package, but Thommo is extremely knowledgable, has plenty of past experience and stories and has great dynamic with Hortin.

Listening to other BBC commentaries, I think we have it very lucky
Spot on, they do ok.

Not sure the co-commentator is the problem.
Both Thommo and Hone offer wisdom, knowledge and enthusiasm/(dry wit) The problem is both of the commentators, one of which is a producer and probably quite talented at that but not a commentator especially as nil research is evidenced throughout the programme and he can't even identify the Lincoln players correctly. That is before his heavy breathing and answering questions before he has asked them. Makepeace is a better commentator than Sportin but his style and outlook reminds me of really bad student radio especially his Friday night debacle.

Watching on ifollow I much prefer the opposition commentary. Apart from getting sidetracked by doing local radio bulletins today’s duo were pretty good. They knew more about our team than Radio Lincs lot do. I dont like when opposition players are identified by numbers or positions like the Lincoln left back or Lincoln’s number 23. Listening to other commentators make our lot sound shockingly bad especially when you have the pictures to highlight their mistakes and lack of player knowledge.
The annoying thing about Mark Hone is his continual self referencing such as ’ when I played I did this or that’ and in his interviews he always says ‘ I thought this and that, do you agree’. Just tries to make out he has more insight than he really has. Not keen on his southern twang on the radio either.

Watching on ifollow I much prefer the opposition commentary. Apart from getting sidetracked by doing local radio bulletins today’s duo were pretty good. They knew more about our team than Radio Lincs lot do. I dont like when opposition players are identified by numbers or positions like the Lincoln left back or Lincoln’s number 23. Listening to other commentators make our lot sound shockingly bad especially when you have the pictures to highlight their mistakes and lack of player knowledge.
The annoying thing about Mark Hone is his continual self referencing such as ’ when I played I did this or that’ and in his interviews he always says ‘ I thought this and that, do you agree’. Just tries to make out he has more insight than he really has. Not keen on his southern twang on the radio either.
A little like Dean "when I was at Carlisle" Walling in the Echo?

Can’t express an opinion as I-Follow didn’t have an away option for commentary on video (only audio, and what’s the point in that when you can watch the game 🤔🤪🙈). That’s the second away game (Blackpool & Fleetwood) where I’ve listened to Radio Lancashire commentary. They are actually not bad, at least getting a higher percentage of detail right than Michael Horton, just annoying as I miss the banter which I didn’t get as usual.