Commentary: Steve Thompson OR Mark Hone? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Commentary: Steve Thompson OR Mark Hone?

Can we get them both?

Thomo is good value for a bit of old school pre PC humour (Probably a good job that so few people listen). Hone was knowledgeable and also seemed genuinely thrilled to be watching- this came across as enthusiasm

Thommo has been the only one for the Imps games for a while, perhaps he’s grown a little complacent. He and Hortin are what they are, you accept them for a local radio due, they are by no means the worst out there!

Mark Hone is pretty good, very professional and has certainly improved over the years since he started out on Radio Lincs. I certainly won’t mind if we hear he’s on the radio here and there.

Is the whole point of having an ex pro not that they WILL talk about when they used to play?!?

EDIT: As an aside, I was pleasantly surprised that Mark Hone didn’t manage to get himself sent off....!!

It also must be weird having no crowd to feed off. I should think that their whole working life match day experience has been turned on it’s head.

I have been back on the workplace for over 4 months and even though it is Covid secure we have good days and bad days. It is a weird environment

I liked Hone. But I think there is a place for both. Maybe cannot go the expense of having 3 at a game, but they could certainly add him in to some rotation over the season.

I quite like them both and in general I think bbc Lincs do a decent job.
I do take the point johnoble made about self referencing at times and it does grind a bit but all ex-pros do this on all the sports channels.
I've listened to some of the away commentaries on ifollow and the best I heard was the away one at Portsmouth last season but there again some of them are a lot worse than we have at bbc Lincs.
By far the best we have is the youtube channel build up to the games. For the budget they will have to produce this it is very professionally done and the presenter (Sam?) is excellent. Hope they can expand on it further in future.

I didn't listen to the pre-match build up as I was watching the Merseyside derby .... but did Hortin (who savaged Soriano last week about B-Teams) mention project Big Picture and the power-grab by his beloved LFC's John Henry and the Glazers with similar venom?

It’s a bit like our squad this season. Sportin and Thommo (legend) are first choice but we’ve got great cover when needed from the youngsters (they’ll love this!) Makepeace and Hone - though Hone does need to work on who we have playing - erm Bridcot and Enoma ?

It’s a bit like our squad this season. Sportin and Thommo (legend) are first choice but we’ve got great cover when needed from the youngsters (they’ll love this!) Makepeace and Hone - though Hone does need to work on who we have playing - erm Bridcot and Enoma ?
Could have been worse, could have been Enema

I liked Hone. But I think there is a place for both. Maybe cannot go the expense of having 3 at a game, but they could certainly add him in to some rotation over the season.
Reminds me used to have two commentators sharing duties though, and listening to archive coverage sometimes actually find Chris Parkin was pretty good.

Good to have options. Thommo is good when on his game (and knowing which game that is is a bonus). Hone was fine today. Only niggle for me was the persistent ‘not wanting to lose 1-0 comments’ at the end - almost expecting us to be jinxed, and butt for Palmer’s save, we might have been! Commentary is background noise to a certain extent.

Thommo has been the only one for the Imps games for a while, perhaps he’s grown a little complacent. He and Hortin are what they are, you accept them for a local radio due, they are by no means the worst out there!

Mark Hone is pretty good, very professional and has certainly improved over the years since he started out on Radio Lincs. I certainly won’t mind if we hear he’s on the radio here and there.

Is the whole point of having an ex pro not that they WILL talk about when they used to play?!?

EDIT: As an aside, I was pleasantly surprised that Mark Hone didn’t manage to get himself sent off....!!
It was the bit where Hone referred to himself as a player with a bit of pace, memory plays tricks but not how I remember him.
As for sending off, I have in my head a terrible tackle v Gainsborough in the FA Cup

I think Thommo on balance, Mark is good but his tone of voice is a bit loud, and he carries on a bit much with some ideas of his own. I still prefer Thommo, its what you get used to I suppose.

Mark Hone has more about him I would say, although something about him gets on my nerves, no real idea why.
I don’t like him on interviews though as he just gives his opinion to the interviewee rather than asking an open question

I hear that as well, last season whenever I heard him interview the Boston manager it was like he was giving his opinion as opposed to asking a question

i like them both tommo very funny at times makes me laugh hone did good it was nice to hear him saying how good we was and he was enjoying watching us play

Perhaps iFollow could bring back the third option of no commentary, just crowd noise. It had that when it first started, not much use right now as there is no crowd to listen to, but hopefully soon.

Personally I don't mind who does it, I can see what's going on.