Columbia v England | Page 3 | Vital Football

Columbia v England

I was shouting at the TV when Dier stepped up. I was shouting " Why you, you are shite, where the feck is Vardy"? lol

Vardy bottled it.

That was a difficult game against a bunch of cheating hooligans.

I absolutely love this England Team.

Southgate is getting sooooooooooooo lucky though.

How can one of the best strikers in Europe not get any chances in open play in Southgate's ' system '

How come the team can't score from open play ?

How about playing Harry as a striker and not a holding MF Southgate you twat ?

Sterling is the problem. I would put Alli in that position, he has better passing and intelligence. Rose comes on and gets behind their defence. All game he could have been cutting back for Kane, Alli can put Kane through on the edge of the box, Sterling won't . Why continue playing him, he has done nothing.

Against Sweden we need clever passing. They are big, physical and disciplined.

Barios(?) would/ will bring an extra dimension to our midfield !!!!!
..........already got one over Henderson.
Thought the commentator mentioned him and us just before the start . Is / has anything happened yet

First pic posted, figured this was a good one. Hope you all like it. Felt appropriate

A good job Colombia resorted to terrorist tactics in the first half in particular and gave us that penalty. Cos if they had just concentrated on playing football we may be out by now....justice was done as their spoiling tactics and constant hassling and surrounding of the ref reminded me of the Uruguay bullies we faced and beat in 1966....(omen?)

Sterling is the problem. I would put Alli in that position, he has better passing and intelligence. Rose comes on and gets behind their defence. All game he could have been cutting back for Kane, Alli can put Kane through on the edge of the box, Sterling won't . Why continue playing him, he has done nothing.

Against Sweden we need clever passing. They are big, physical and disciplined.

If you insist on playing Young, you have to play Sterling on the left, where as he once did for Liverpool and latterly Mancs he can go past players, use his craft and create and force defenders to make decisions - the trouble now with him is he thinks he's a goal scorer and he has in this World Cup constantly competed for Kane's space - hence why Kane is dropping deeper and deeper, which the opposition can then so easily deal with in open play. He's not intelligent enough to play off kane, at least, he doesn't appear to be.

I'd drop Alli, he's not fit and has played very poorly, he's creating few problems for our opposition.

I'd put Walker into RWB as his pace (when he's been allowed to show it) has defences running around like headless chickens - he is utterly wasted as one of the three at the back, put him running the line and we'd win free kick after free kick where it can hurt the opposition.

Dier need to be sitting in that back 3, his performances in midfield just seem to be going from poor to awful - no idea what instructions he's playing under, but he needs to be thinking 'forward pass' or running beyond the oppositions midfield again, as of now he looks like he thinks we'll win games by pissing the opposition off by passing sideways and backwards, we won't.

We are so unbalanced, its criminal, which is why Kane isn't getting any service worth calling one.

We've been lucky, Southgate's late late realisation that players need to be changed is a mystery, perhaps he hasn't the capacity to see it, I've no idea.

Anyway, Napoleon's missive of rather have a lucky General than a brilliant one - seems appropriate when I look at Southgate. Lovely man but seemingly lacking so much at the moment.

Against Sweden, we're going to have to really pick it up.

Sterling is shooting straight at defenders when a pass would be better. Young will always cut in rather than go beyond defenders. Rose had a better chance in 10 minutes than Young had all game.

For Sweden, Rose is a no brainer. The whole point of playing wing back is that you hug the touch line and stretch the opposition. Young is playing 10 or 15 yards inside the touch line and it's creating imbalance in the team. The problem is, if he goes to the line he's then on his wrong foot. He tackles on the wrong foot half the time anyway and looks awkward in that position.

Rose is no Ashley Cole but both him and Bertrand have done a great job for England over the last 2-3 years. They know their trade and how to own the line. All it then needs is for Southgate to give them the same instruction as Trippier about crossing the ball early and we'd have service from both sides. At the moment, only Trips is getting balls in.

If you insist on
Against Sweden, we're going to have to really pick it up.

Agree on dropping Dele, unless his fitness improves massively by Saturday. Also agree Sterling is getting in Kane's way, but even when Vardy came on Kane was dropping very deep. I don't know if it was by instruction or if he just felt he wasn't ever going to get the service but people around me were screaming for him to get further up the field.

I think Young showed his experience and intelligence and it was needed in that game. He pulled our players out of a few scuffles before they could fall for the Colombian's riling them up. Rose would be more likely to get in a scuffle, and I'm not just saying that because he's depressed, he's always had a bit of a fiery temper.

Against Sweden, particularly with Young picking up a knock, I'd start Rose all day. They're less likely to be employing the dark arts and we need more pace out wide.

Walker at RCB is Southgate's way of trying to stop us getting caught for pace defensively. Trips has also been our best creative outlet so dropping him doesn't make sense for me.

Gareth basically said we're the walking wounded now. Be interesting to see who starts.

Agree on dropping Dele, unless his fitness improves massively by Saturday. Also agree Sterling is getting in Kane's way, but even when Vardy came on Kane was dropping very deep. I don't know if it was by instruction or if he just felt he wasn't ever going to get the service but people around me were screaming for him to get further up the field.

I think Young showed his experience and intelligence and it was needed in that game. He pulled our players out of a few scuffles before they could fall for the Colombian's riling them up. Rose would be more likely to get in a scuffle, and I'm not just saying that because he's depressed, he's always had a bit of a fiery temper.

Against Sweden, particularly with Young picking up a knock, I'd start Rose all day. They're less likely to be employing the dark arts and we need more pace out wide.

Walker at RCB is Southgate's way of trying to stop us getting caught for pace defensively. Trips has also been our best creative outlet so dropping him doesn't make sense for me.

Gareth basically said we're the walking wounded now. Be interesting to see who starts.

I wouldn't drop Trips, I'd play him as a right sided midfield player - which he did well at for many years before leaving City and played a good few times there for Burnley as well.

He'd add steel to our midfield, and can still making his telling crosses.

Great honesty from Trips though - at the time I'd thought he really should have headed it away and was very poor attempt.

At full-time Trippier said: "I thought we played really well in the first half and for their goal, it was a mistake by myself. I thought he was going to head it straight in, but I could not adjust when he headed it down, I was gutted."

As others have said, I too have been pointing out from the go that our set up is unbalanced with Young on the LHS. We don't have a creative midfielder in the heart of the team, partly the reason the defenders can't find an outlet, hence sideways backwards.. Sterling is always a me me player and as such will rarely gel with other AM's or striker. However, he's the only one that has pace upfront (Lingard comes close to it). Vardy imo was brought on for the pace for the long balls late on and I thought it worked.

Absolutely thrilled with our lads and England.