Columbia v England | Page 4 | Vital Football

Columbia v England

If you insist on playing Young, you have to play Sterling on the left, where as he once did for Liverpool and latterly Mancs he can go past players, use his craft and create and force defenders to make decisions - the trouble now with him is he thinks he's a goal scorer and he has in this World Cup constantly competed for Kane's space - hence why Kane is dropping deeper and deeper, which the opposition can then so easily deal with in open play. He's not intelligent enough to play off kane, at least, he doesn't appear to be.

I'd drop Alli, he's not fit and has played very poorly, he's creating few problems for our opposition.

I'd put Walker into RWB as his pace (when he's been allowed to show it) has defences running around like headless chickens - he is utterly wasted as one of the three at the back, put him running the line and we'd win free kick after free kick where it can hurt the opposition.

Dier need to be sitting in that back 3, his performances in midfield just seem to be going from poor to awful - no idea what instructions he's playing under, but he needs to be thinking 'forward pass' or running beyond the oppositions midfield again, as of now he looks like he thinks we'll win games by pissing the opposition off by passing sideways and backwards, we won't.

We are so unbalanced, its criminal, which is why Kane isn't getting any service worth calling one.

We've been lucky, Southgate's late late realisation that players need to be changed is a mystery, perhaps he hasn't the capacity to see it, I've no idea.

Anyway, Napoleon's missive of rather have a lucky General than a brilliant one - seems appropriate when I look at Southgate. Lovely man but seemingly lacking so much at the moment.

Against Sweden, we're going to have to really pick it up.

You're right, we do need to pick it up.

We are not creating any chances, the goals are from pens or corners, Harry is playing in Dier's position, Sterling is literally a waste of a shirt and Ali doesn't look fit.

Get yer finger out Southgate, we are actually performing worse than a Woy side, luck can't carry us through forever.

Great honesty from Trips though - at the time I'd thought he really should have headed it away and was very poor attempt.

At full-time Trippier said: "I thought we played really well in the first half and for their goal, it was a mistake by myself. I thought he was going to head it straight in, but I could not adjust when he headed it down, I was gutted."

Tripps owned up...I dig that. He deserves everyone’s respect the way he is playing. Best overall player for England in my book so far.

Southgate is getting sooooooooooooo lucky though.

How can one of the best strikers in Europe not get any chances in open play in Southgate's ' system '

How come the team can't score from open play ?

How about playing Harry as a striker and not a holding MF Southgate you twat ?

Knockout tournaments are largely about luck.

Our central midfield area lacks someone who can control a game. Winks would have been perfect. But as he has been injured perhaps taking Shelvey, Lallana or Wiltshire would have been a good idea?

Henderson and Dier together was horrendous. Never want to see that again.

Southgate got lucky last night. His subs were woeful. Vardy can't play this way. He has to play in a counter attacking team. Hoofing the ball up field is poor management.

Maybe Tripps being moved centrally isn't a bad idea? He can pass, cross the ball, something the rest of them really struggle with.

I like Lingard, but he reminds me of Lamela. No end product. A lot of huff and puff.

Alli was good defensively last night. Just not good enough going forward. I don't like him as a wide AM anyway. He doesn't have the pace to play there.

Well that wasn't at all stressful. I've know all week Yerry Mina would score from a set peice. But to do it when he did hurt. I was so convinced we'd lose at that point I went and weeded the garden. Only came back in when the screams in the street tipped me off. Realdeal is right the lack of anyone who can play a through ball is going to kill us. Where that footballer is I don't know as some suggest maybe Trips who has been a revelation.

Alli played 2 good through balls from midfield . His fitness I guess is questionable so he may miss out. Not on form for me. He is the one player who can produce a bit of magic .