Columbia v England | Vital Football

Columbia v England

Spursex

Alert Team

• Is this our biggest game in over 10 years?

_102283689_gettyimages-986179058.jpg

Colombia's James Rodriguez, the 2014 World Cup Golden Boot winner, was forced off injured against SenegalBBC coverage
How to follow:Listen on BBC Radio 5 live; text commentary on the BBC Sport website; watch highlights on BBC One at 22:45 BST

TEAM NEWS
England's Dele Alli is available for selection again after missing the group matches against Panama and Belgium.

Manager Gareth Southgate is set to recall the players he rested against the Belgians, including captain Harry Kane, who has five goals so far.

Colombia will monitor the fitness of star midfielder James Rodriguez, who was forced off against Senegal., but they are now saying his injury 'wasn't that bad'..

A scan of his right calf has revealed swelling but no muscle tear, though it is unclear if he will be fit to start.

Midfielder Abel Aguilar missed their last game with a muscle problem but has trained normally in the build-up to this match and is expected to be available.

VIEW FROM BOTH CAMPS
Colombia coach Jose Pekerman: "We know that any team that reaches the last 16 is good, we are talking about the best 16 teams in the world
"Obviously England can have a good day or a bad day. England is a young team, has a lot of harmony and you can tell they have a lot of faith in themselves."
England manager Gareth Southgate: "I feel like we've started to connect the team with the public again.
"I feel like we've created excitement, like we've played in a style that has really shown an expression of what young English players are capable of, and I want us to continue doing that."

Massive Massive game. It's is extremely important that they concentrate on this game and not about how the draw pans out.

I think Southgate will start with the team that started against Tunisia meaning that Dele will come back into the fold.

If James is out then that will be a huge boost.

It is hard though not to get too excited. This really is the best chance that England will get to win!!

Pickford

Trippss

Walker
Maguire
Stones

Rose

Henderson

Alli
Lingard

Sterling

Kane

Our best chance of winning.

Nick pope is better than Pickford I'd buy him now and loan him back to Burnley for a year and get good money for Hugo. We woke up to his late development into the best English keeper out of the bunch to late to blood him in this WC. I think it will come back to bite us. Narrow Col win....sigh

Butland has had a poor season. Pickford is ahead of him. Pope? Looks good for Burnley, big step up being Englands number 1.

Rashford looked shite against Belgium. So did Vardy.

Sterling has pace, something Lingard, Alli, Kane lack. He can play central or drift wide. Sometimes it's about the best team not the best players.

Agree with RD's team, but think Southgate will select Young over Rose.

It was Young being sent out to face the press with Southgate yesterday.

Southgate has the horn for him. He is way past it.

I agree but Rose was iffy against Belgium B. Your right about Pope and the step, it's too soon now but he'll see off Ginger and Butland, there's something flawed about Butland. I think he is mentally suspect. I'd buy Pope now in 18months he'll be no1 and cost too much.

That ref has lost control pf the game...he should have sent the guy off and stamped his authority on it...they are dirt ...they surround the ref...stop free kicks play tricks ...

I can see why Poch wants Barrios. He gets stuck in. Apart from the Henderson bit he has made some excellent tackles.

Mind you Henderson is a prick.

Can't see the reason we are going with 3 at the back.

We also need Rashford on.

Not sure what the Colombians are protesting, clear penalty.

What a dirty bunch, and the players are being dragged to their level, not good.