Coaches and Coaching @ Spurs | Page 3 | Vital Football

Coaches and Coaching @ Spurs

Were you in goal?

Aha. CM actually. I was pretty good myself. Had trials at Reading and Oxford United when I was 15 and 16. Probably could of had a decent career in the lower leagues if I had the right mentality.

I just didn't enjoy it.

Preferred playing Sunday league and playing with a hangover. The women were my biggest weakness mind. :slap:

That's great news RD, good to have a close link to the club. What will he bring as a coach ? Technical, tactical, mental , mentor , what are his strengths ?

He was always a humble quiet lad when he was younger.

I'm not sure what style he will go down but he was a technically gifted player with a good eye for detail. Really hard worker, he would always train every day when he was a teenager.

He has got more confident with age. He was always quiet and shy.

I hope he does well. Will try and get in contact with him again. It's been a few years. For the record it was in a night club. :grinning::banana:

Dog, I'm pretty much full time attached to an academy now (as I've had alot of time on my hands since my Wife died) as I do my talent-spotting of kids for them - and the one thing I've noticed over the last few years is the sea change in coaching and the encouragement now given to the individual expression; most especially at Spurs - but what I would say as you spot 6/7/8 year olds is that the one to one coaching now is second to none.

So I can't agree that we're coaching it all out of them, in fact, I'd say the opposite.

That said, for talent to deliver, they have to have the spark in the first place - and that pool is ever-shrinking as it competes with online stuff and kids do less and fewer games at schools.

We have a fitness and play crisis now that you and I have long predicted and I'm now seeing everywhere I go.

Sorry to hear about your wife mate very sad.
I’m glad to hear if you say they encourage flair but have to say I didn’t see much of it in the past to be fair.
Let’s hope you are correct.
Also sorry for a long time to respond but don’t get much time to post these days.

Sorry to bring this thread to the fore again, especially having 'salvaged' 3 points to kick start our season.

Can our coaches not see and be able to coach Sissoko on basics of crossing and shooting?. A decent, professional player would've claimed the MoTM with all the opps presented to him.

Sorry to bring this thread to the fore again, especially having 'salvaged' 3 points to kick start our season.

Can our coaches not see and be able to coach Sissoko on basics of crossing and shooting?. A decent, professional player would've claimed the MoTM with all the opps presented to him.

After every single game a day later or a couple of days later everyone is in the video room where the team performance is shown and dissected, individually players are shown (with the performance analysts as well) what they could/should have done; what they need to work on and how to do with the coaches/one on one coach (if thought necessary) - what you often can't do is take all that work on the training ground onto the pitch with you - especially if it's never been previously addressed, for example, you can see players do it day in day out on the TP, but then make exactly the same mistakes in a game and show the same lack of composure or self-believe when it matters - in a competitive game.

Afraid Sissoko is a prime example - on the training ground he is awesome and even shows some great abilities to finish, with power too - but as we can see, put him in the 6-yard box and his decision making/self-belief/composure is somewhere in the middle of English Channel!

Incrementally, Sissoko has vastly improved and that's because he was worked on again and again and again - sooner or later, he will finish and then just watch his confidence soar and even at this late stage of his career, he'll never look back.

I could go on and on about players weaknesses and how they're addressed through training routines and one on one coaching, but at the end of the day as hard as you try to get into their heads to make them use their footballing intelligence or bring to the fore the composure you try to embed into their game - they have to do it.

I think Sissoko is overthinking it when he gets in the 18-yard box now and suspect it's too late to fix - but we will see, I expect to see him to kick on this season and if he remains injury-free to have his best professional career season - ever!

Last edited:
After every single game a day later or a couple of days later everyone is in the video room where the team performance is shown and dissected, individually players are shown what they could/should have done; what they need to work on and how to do with the coaches/one on one coach (if thought necessary) - what you often can't do is take all that work on the training ground onto the pitch with you - especially if it's never been previously addressed, for example you can see players do it day in day out on the TP, but then make exactly the same mistakes, show the same lack of composure or self-believe when it matters - in a competitive game.

Afraid Sissoko is a prime example - on the training ground he is awesome and even shows some great abilities to finish, with power too - but as we can see, put him in the 6-yard box and his decision making/self-belief/composure is somewhere in the middle of English Channel!

Incrementally, Sissoko has vastly improved and that's because he was worked on again and again and again - sooner or later, he will finish and then just watch his confidence soar and even at this late stage of his career, he'll never look back.

I could go on and on about players weaknesses and how they're addressed through training routines and one on one coaching, but at the end of the day as hard as you try to get into their heads to make them use their footballing intelligence or bring to the fore the composure you try to embedd into their game - they have to do it.

I think Sissoko is overthinking it when he gets in the 18-yard box now and suspect it's too late to fix - but we will see, I expect to see him kick on this season and if he remains injury-free to have his best professional career season - ever!

Sissoko at his best is breaking away and putting through a key pass as an assist. That's what I expect from him in attack. He is crap at shooting and crossing. In defence its more faceted.

Sissoko at his best is breaking away and putting through a key pass as an assist. That's what I expect from him in attack. He is crap at shooting and crossing. In defence its more faceted.

That is one of his strengths - but just imagine what he can be if he learns to put his head up when it matters and make that great assist pass and put his head down and get his technique right when he's just carved a magnificent opening for himself.

He'd be awesome.

After every single game a day later or a couple of days later everyone is in the video room where the team performance is shown and dissected, individually players are shown (with the performance analysts as well) what they could/should have done; what they need to work on and how to do with the coaches/one on one coach (if thought necessary) - what you often can't do is take all that work on the training ground onto the pitch with you - especially if it's never been previously addressed, for example, you can see players do it day in day out on the TP, but then make exactly the same mistakes in a game and show the same lack of composure or self-believe when it matters - in a competitive game.

I could go on and on about players weaknesses and how they're addressed through training routines and one on one coaching, but at the end of the day as hard as you try to get into their heads to make them use their footballing intelligence or bring to the fore the composure you try to embed into their game - they have to do it.

I think Sissoko is overthinking it when he gets in the 18-yard box now and suspect it's too late to fix - but we will see, I expect to see him to kick on this season and if he remains injury-free to have his best professional career season - ever!
Thanks for that insight Ex. Always wanted to know how the game is reviewed.

On that note, can I ask if we use midgets as mannequins on training ground that Eriksen has become renowned for not clearing the 1st man?!... though he fared better v Villa.

That is one of his strengths - but just imagine what he can be if he learns to put his head up when it matters and make that great assist pass and put his head down and get his technique right when he's just carved a magnificent opening for himself.

He'd be awesome.

Can't teach a lizard to fly, he got no wings.

Thanks for that insight Ex. Always wanted to know how the game is reviewed.

On that note, can I ask if we use midgets as mannequins on training ground that Eriksen has become renowned for not clearing the 1st man?!... though he fared better v Villa.

Ha ha ha ha ha...It has to be midgets!