Clough's Forest 77-/80 named 5th best English side of all time | Vital Football

Clough's Forest 77-/80 named 5th best English side of all time

Interesting that Paisley's Liverpool side and Clough's Forest side overlap in terms of time frame.

In fairness it was mentioned just how special Clough’s achievement was. When you consider where and what we were just a few years earlier it just makes the achievement even more special.

Notice Leicester aren’t in that list anywhere...

By Sky Sports https://www.sportbible.com/football...2-greatest-english-clubs-of-all-time-20200225

Only 75-78 Paisley's Liverpool, Ferguson's Man U 06-09, 81-84 Paisley/ Fagan's Liverpool and Ferguson's 98-01 Man U rank higher.

Thoughts for those around at the time?

I would be inclined to agree that the Liverpool side of 75-78 was the best of those mentioned.

Although managed by Paisley, it was a side which carried all of the hallmarks of the Shankly era; a very good footballing side with a tough streak all the way through it.

In addition to the two European Cups, they won the League twice and finished runners up twice; that was at a time when the top flight was as strong as it ever has been.

I would put our achievements second and the 81-84 Liverpool side third.

You cannot entertain those United sides with any degree of seriousness; the League Titles won were done so when the League was a two horse race, you did not have to win the League to gain entry into the Champions League, and then played in a Group just to patronise the smaller teams.

You cannot compare teams which earned trophies and those who bought them.

Personally think it should be higher than the both MU sides. X2 European cups, Super Cup, x2 league cups, x1 title, x1 Title runner up across the 3 years.

I would be inclined to agree that the Liverpool side of 75-78 was the best of those mentioned.

Although managed by Paisley, it was a side which carried all of the hallmarks of the Shankly era; a very good footballing side with a tough streak all the way through it.

In addition to the two European Cups, they won the League twice and finished runners up twice; that was at a time when the top flight was as strong as it ever has been.

I would put our achievements second and the 81-84 Liverpool side third.

You cannot entertain those United sides with any degree of seriousness; the League Titles won were done so when the League was a two horse race, you did not have to win the League to gain entry into the Champions League, and then played in a Group just to patronise the smaller teams.

You cannot compare teams which earned trophies and those who bought them.

bang on the money. you assume that during those 3 years that united and Liverpool’s would be better but you look at the titles and you realise how incredible those years were for Forest.

Last edited:
Got to put most of them behind the current Liverpool side, as well as the recent Man City side.

I suppose two European cups is what keeps us ahead of the invincibles, as well as them being one season wonders

Not necc in terms of being the best, but I will confess that I used to fucking love watching Fergie's late 90's Man U side (esp when they got beat by us too).

That midfield of Giggs, Scholes, Keane & Beckham just had everything.

Such a shame we couldn't hang on to Collymore & add a bit more quality to that side. Woan & Stone down the flanks & Collymore up top was just as lush.