Cloth Cap | Vital Football

Cloth Cap

It’s become less of a lottery as they have sought to make it safer for the horses and the jockeys but a lottery it remains and that price is way too short to consider bearing in mind what’s involved but plenty of the once a yr brigade will jump on it seeing as it’s the favourite

Well that’s no surprise - Rod going for “Cloth Cap”. He’s never been seen in public without one!

I have to confess I dislike the National intensely. I don’t know anything about steeplechasers, but as a mathematician, I know that it is the race all year, most favourable to bookmakers. The normal field money on (say) a football match is about 108/110, but by choosing the best odds from different bookmakers, you can usually get it down to about 104/106 and I have seen some at as low as 102.
The last time I checked the National (admittedly some years ago) it was about 180/100. Mathematically, the only worse bet would be to buy a lottery ticket.
So my tip would be not to have a bet - but I know that as usual, my wise words will fall on deaf ears. ‘Twas ever thus. Enjoy your flutter lads.

Last edited:
Well that’s no surprise - Rod going for “Cloth Cap”. He’s never been seen in public without one!

I have to confess I dislike the National intensely. I don’t know anything about steeplechasers, but as a mathematician, I know that it is the race all year, most favourable to bookmakers. The normal field money on (say) a football match is about 108/110, but by choosing the best odds from different bookmakers, you can usually get it down to about 104/106 and I have seen some at as low as 102.
The last time I checked the National (admittedly some years ago) it was about 180/100. Mathematically, the only worse bet would be to buy a lottery ticket.
So my tip would be not to have a bet - but I know that as usual, my wise words will fall on deaf ears. ‘Twas ever thus. Enjoy your flutter lads.
It really is the one race you shouldn’t bet on it’s a PR dream for the bookies but I always fall into the trap I think it’s habit from when my Nan used to put a bet on a horse for me when I was younger anyway I rarely bet on the favourite so this yrs unfortunate nag carrying my hopes is the aptly named takingrisks it beat cloth cap in the Scottish national a couple of yr ago but is getting on a bit now aged 12 but it’s more likely to pull some money in e/w and @40/1 when I backed it was a reasonable price (small stakes as it’s ’a lottery’ )

edit just checked price it’s now 18/1 !

Last edited:
It really is the one race you shouldn’t bet on it’s a PR dream for the bookies but I always fall into the trap I think it’s habit from when my Nan used to put a bet on a horse for me when I was younger anyway I rarely bet on the favourite so this yrs unfortunate nag carrying my hopes is the aptly named takingrisks it beat cloth cap in the Scottish national a couple of yr ago but is getting on a bit now aged 12 but it’s more likely to pull some money in e/w and @40/1 when I backed it was a reasonable price (small stakes as it’s ’a lottery’ )

edit just checked price it’s now 18/1 !
I backed the winner in the last 2 Nationals(Good owd Tiger Roll) but i have no more than a tenner on,so even a tight owd git like me doesn't mind losing a tenner once a year if i do lose.I used to pay a fiver max but when owd Tiger won for me i decided to up my stake to a tenner(Don't tell our Gertie tho):giggle:.In my opinion it's one of the great sporting occasions we have in Britain and certainly better than the boring Cycling that mi owd pal Bigglenaldo and one or two more on here like.:yes:UTB

I backed the winner in the last 2 Nationals(Good owd Tiger Roll) but i have no more than a tenner on,so even a tight owd git like me doesn't mind losing a tenner once a year if i do lose.I used to pay a fiver max but when owd Tiger won for me i decided to up my stake to a tenner(Don't tell our Gertie tho):giggle:.In my opinion it's one of the great sporting occasions we have in Britain and certainly better than the boring Cycling that mi owd pal Bigglenaldo and one or two more on here like.:yes:UTB
At least they can RECYCLE the dead horses Rod!:p

Rachel Blackmore becomes the first Lady jockey to win the Grand National on Minella Times 11-1,WOW absolutely stunning performance.Cloth Cap pulled up before the third last fence.UTB

Rachel Blackmore becomes the first Lady jockey to win the Grand National on Minella Times 11-1,WOW absolutely stunning performance.Cloth Cap pulled up before the third last fence.UTB

Don't tell me Cloth Cap left the course a few minutes early..! Or did it hang about on the concourse for the end of the race..?

The Irish have slaughtered us Brits at Cheltenham and now in the National.Full credit to the Irish.UTB
Henry de bromhead and Rachel Blackmore have slaughtered everyone you mean they’ve done a grand slam with the Cheltenham gold cup and 2 others at Cheltenham along with the national she ran a really good race and timed it perfectly mrs B is happy as she had a couple of quid e/w on the winner mine never got going and was pulled up just over halfway round but I had a good day on the footy so we’re all happy here 👍 😁

Henry de bromhead and Rachel Blackmore have slaughtered everyone you mean they’ve done a grand slam with the Cheltenham gold cup and 2 others at Cheltenham along with the national she ran a really good race and timed it perfectly mrs B is happy as she had a couple of quid e/w on the winner mine never got going and was pulled up just over halfway round but I had a good day on the footy so we’re all happy here 👍 😁
Are they not Irish then Bully?:yes: For christ sake don't get like that mardy arse Beany.:giggle: Did you back QPR?:giggle: I'm delighted for Mrs B,mi owd pal. UTB

Are they not Irish then Bully?:yes: For christ sake don't get like that mardy arse Beany.:giggle: Did you back QPR?:giggle: I'm delighted for Mrs B,mi owd pal. UTB
No m8 both teams arent reliable and with their demolition of sheep botherers I left it alone the sky bet treble came in thanks to a late goal from the scousers and I got 5 from 6 on my perm bet both pulling 40 odd quid each Blackpool let me down after being 2 up that would have been an excellent day if they had hung on but can’t be too greedy
mrs B is really chuffed so I’m pleased for her too m8 nice for her to have somat to cheer about ♥️

No m8 both teams arent reliable and with their demolition of sheep botherers I left it alone the sky bet treble came in thanks to a late goal from the scousers and I got 5 from 6 on my perm bet both pulling 40 odd quid each Blackpool let me down after being 2 up that would have been an excellent day if they had hung on but can’t be too greedy
mrs B is really chuffed so I’m pleased for her too m8 nice for her to have somat to cheer about ♥️
Apparently yet another BIG VAR controversy today at Anfield,they need to change the offside rule back to there needing to be clear distance between the last defender and the forward in my opinion.UTB

Apparently yet another BIG VAR controversy today at Anfield,they need to change the offside rule back to there needing to be clear distance between the last defender and the forward in my opinion.UTB
It was a joke of a decision I’ll be glad to see the back of it next season in the championship but they still incense me when I see these decisions no matter who they favour

It was a joke of a decision I’ll be glad to see the back of it next season in the championship but they still incense me when I see these decisions no matter who they favour
There was a poor decision in the Fulham v Wolves game that cost Wolves a goal last night also.It's been said many many times before but Football is the greatest sport on earth but it's being run by idiots.UTB

Sad to see the long mile had to be put to sleep it didnt injure itself on a fence it was pulled up between fences don’t know what injury it suffered but always distressing when they have to be put down and for the snowflakes out there these horses are better looked after than we are they get the best of everything and they enjoy being out there extending themselves they wouldn’t race them if they had to force them all the time
also best wishes for a speedy recovery to barony frost who was taken to hospital after she was unseated

Sad to see the long mile had to be put to sleep it didnt injure itself on a fence it was pulled up between fences don’t know what injury it suffered but always distressing when they have to be put down and for the snowflakes out there these horses are better looked after than we are they get the best of everything and they enjoy being out there extending themselves they wouldn’t race them if they had to force them all the time
also best wishes for a speedy recovery to barony frost who was taken to hospital after she was unseated
I agree it's very sad when there's a fatality mi owd pal,the people that looked after&trained the horse will be devastated.Best wishes to Bryony Frost and sincere sympathy to the connections of The Long Mile also.UTB