Clive Nates: "Studies are being undertaken and its possible that around 25% of capacity will be allowed initially..." | Page 4 | Vital Football

Clive Nates: "Studies are being undertaken and its possible that around 25% of capacity will be allowed initially..."

Why should we be viewed any differently. See no problem in traveling 200 miles to a home game. Traffic levels are back to normal again with no restrictions.
Of course we should be allowed in. Apart from stopping for diesel, I will be self isolating for the entire 326 mile round trip.
I was mostly thinking of regions with different situations there - any fans travelling from Leicester, for instance. I live near there but thankfully not within the lockdown zone. I just wonder with the club obviously having to keep everybody as safe as possible, how they can avoid encouraging fans travelling long distances and looking bad. Essentially the same issue as having away fans travelling to matches.

These are just my thoughts, by the way. I'm not saying anybody should be denied entry due to their home location.

I also note that there has been an announcement that England are to play Wales in a friendly in October and that there will be no supporters there. Might indicate allowing anyone in isn't as far forward as might be hoped

If they intend to play without supporters, who is footing the bill for L1/L2 clubs? Also, what about the varying wage bills within each league, who gets what? Sunderland a bigger hand-out than Lincoln?

Some interesting and valid points raised.

It's another difficult decision to make to try and be fair on the majority. Of those who've already bought ST's then, as mentioned, some might not want to attend anyway.

In my opinion, ST's should go back on sale and give everyone an opportunity to be 'in the hat' as it were because presumably STH's will be allowed in on a rotor basis rather than random draws that could see people attend all the games?

Of course the main difficulty is the difference in price of ST's and iFollow for those who don't/can't attend. I'm not sure how that'll work. We'd be relying on people's generosity again so I'm not sure what the answer is in that respect.

All that said, does 25% seem too low? I'd pass more people in a supermarket than I would at the football stadium and I only need to be wearing a mask in there from Monday, bearing in mind it's all indoors as well.

I personally see one of the biggest problems being at half time when people congregate in one area to use the toilets, even if only a few are let in at a time people will be congregating together while waiting in a closed environment, particularly thinking of co-op upper tier.

At the end of the game people will still be pushing together to move from the rows of seats onto the congested stairways. Admittedly 25% would clear a lot quicker than 100% capacity. A lot of planning would need to be done.

As bbh 11 has said, it will be managing things like toilets at HT, and exiting at full time - how do you maintain social spacing when everyone is in a rush for a wee before the second half, or to get away after the match.

Noting Luke's comparison with supermarkets, that's valid when moving about but people are then sat in (relatively) close proximity for the best part of 2 hours.

I can see masks being compulsory when moving about. And given all the research data, singing and shouting might be a problem!

25% sounds sensible to get things started, though that will cause all the logistical headaches mentioned by most other posters, deciding which ST holders are allowed in for each game, how households can be accommodated, etc.

I personally see one of the biggest problems being at half time when people congregate in one area to use the toilets, even if only a few are let in at a time people will be congregating together while waiting in a closed environment, particularly thinking of co-op upper tier.

At the end of the game people will still be pushing together to move from the rows of seats onto the congested stairways. Admittedly 25% would clear a lot quicker than 100% capacity. A lot of planning would need to be done.

If you need the toilet you put your hand up and a Steward will take you!

For getting in and out of the Stadium maybe it will be staggered?

The 25% approach is a bit of a challenge but not insurmountable - 25% of season ticket holders on a seat number basis so you keep families/friends together and that could either take the total 2,500 seats - or allocate say 1,500/2,000 on this basis and sell the other 1,000/500 tickets on a first first come first served basis - fans have to sit at least 1 seat and 1 row apart and wear face masks [red and white ones preferably] - in addition could televise the game and transmit on a big screen at Lincs Showground for drive in viewing and charge about a tenner per fan - so a car of 4 would be £40 - but Public Health would probably have a view about potential infection spread with this approach.

I think the PMs just confirmed a timeframe for the reopening of stadia as 01/09/2020 but no detail and all provisional.

(Sorry not Sept, it’s Oct).

Last edited:
I'm going to record "FFS Ref!" and "Stop fucking around the back!" along with other pertinent comments on my 'phone and then play them at appropriate points in the game. See, no shouting!

Maybe I'll write an App for it.

From the Prime Minister brief this morning it has been indicated that it will be October before any sports attendance for sport.

A bigger problem will be those who turn up with their ST and had not been 'selected' ! and try to get in one way or another, impossible situation for the people operating the turnstile. And who is going to enforce the 'you must sit where you are told' situation, you cannot expect the stewards to do this or things could turn a bit dodgy. Lose a few games and no problems !

You wonder if the new technology could cope with selective season ticket attendance, I guess it would be like a home cup game where matches were added to your card adhoc.

Just can't see how L1 and L2 can even think of starting. PM has just said October before any return to stadiums and even then it is very likely it will be on significantly reduced numbers/capacities - is 25% still the figure being talked about? Other than a reduced overall wage bill, nearly all the arguments for them not completing this season are in essence still there and still valid for the start of next season.

Or am I missing something?

Get the feeling some clubs will be gone by Xmas unless a rescue package to make up the shortfall in income.

I am sure that I have seen the term 'rescue package' used recently by our esteemed chairman. I would assume that the EFL will be undertaking some form of assistance to all of their clubs, especially those in L1 and L2 where attendance money is key. Bought live streaming of home games has to be part of that, though money earned by home clubs from that will only be a fraction of money made at the gate and refreshment kiosks during games

A bigger problem will be those who turn up with their ST and had not been 'selected' ! and try to get in one way or another, impossible situation for the people operating the turnstile. And who is going to enforce the 'you must sit where you are told' situation, you cannot expect the stewards to do this or things could turn a bit dodgy. Lose a few games and no problems !
Because the EFL (and government) rules will be crystal clear: any club failing to enforce those rules will be playing their next games with 0% spectators. As I said on an earlier post, we all need to ensure dickheads who think the rules dont apply to them are other clubs' problems.